FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » → "People get very emotional about leaves."

Author Topic: → "People get very emotional about leaves."
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-11-17-leaf-incident_x.htm

quote:
...a man has been arrested in what was described as a "leaf rage" incident.

Michael Peters, 67, became angry when city employees told him they would not remove leaves from his property, police said. He was arrested Monday after confronting town workers clearing leaves in his neighborhood.

Operations supervisor Robert Gerbert said Peters was a "raving maniac."

Peters said he's frustrated that his leaves have not been picked up in the more than three decades he has lived at his home.

"After 34 years, things build up. I am a taxpayer. ... All I am trying to do is get a service that's being offered to all of my neighbors."

Officials said the leaves weren't collected because they were on Peters' right of way, not the street where workers collect them, officials said.

City worker Jim Crabb said crews would have likely come back to Peters' home — perhaps later that day — to pick up the leaves had he asked politely.

"We're not big, mean ogres," he said.

"There have been issues where we've had to talk to residents and tried to calm them down, but nothing where we've had to call police," he said. "People get very emotional about leaves."

Frank Fedeli, supervisor of the Citizens' Service Center, said Peters called the center after his arrest to complain that his leaves had still not been picked up.

"That's chutzpah," Fedeli said.

That guy autumn learn to lighten up.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, leave him alone. I'm sure his bark is bigger than his bite.

Also, 'shin, I'm beginning to suspect that you only post these news articles as an excuse for making puns.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Frank Fedeli, supervisor of the Citizens' Service Center, said Peters called the center after his arrest to complain that his leaves had still not been picked up.

"That's chutzpah," Fedeli said.

*laugh*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, 'shin, I'm beginning to suspect that you only post these news articles as an excuse for making puns.
That's chutzpah. [Taunt]

[ November 17, 2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think this poor man is being made the fall guy in a complicated situation.

So his language got a little colorful after years and years of built up frustration. That's no reason to rake him over the coals.

They should drop the charges and leaf him alone.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

If you let him go, his complaints could the root of many more. Plain and simple: the guy needs treetment, and he needs it fast.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
So, did I mention that so far, I used 50 55 gallon trash bags? That's right. 50 bags of the 55 gallon size, stuffed, squashed, restuffed, sat on, restuffed, laid on, restuffed, and mushed around until not another leaf would fit. On the up side, you can see my grass again, though for a while, when the leaves first fell, I had an orange lawn. It was pretty.

When the trash men came, I went out and asked them how many I could put out at the curb at one time. They said I could put them all out and I said I'd do that next week. They then asked if I wanted to put them out that day. They were almost done with their route and could swing by after finishing the next street. I said that would be great and started hauling the bags to the curb. They forgot to come back. [Frown]

50 bags.

So far.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

Especially to an Arizonan who can't really remember ever raking leaves on his own proberty, and only a couple times for his workplace or church, that sounds awful.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.