FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Choose Your Own Adventure: Developing a TV Series

Author Topic: Choose Your Own Adventure: Developing a TV Series
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
We ran through this some time ago, where Jatraqueros post ideas for television shows. I thought I'd revive the idea.

Pandemonium Alley: Alexander 'Sandy' Murawski is a private detective and all around errand boy in a world that is populated with fallen angels and rebellious demons. The angels have fallen because they've lost faith-- not in God, but in the goodness of mankind. The demons rebelled, not against God, but against Lucifer, because his obsession with misery is ruining their opportunity to claim True Power. Sandy and his autistic partner, Brick, take on the shady side of good, and the brightening forces of evil in this gritty, witty, adventure series.

Central High: Central High, in Madison, WI is the site of the next Apocalypse. The forces of evil and good converge on the school, and seek adherents among the student body. Teen angst and youthful optimism war with rusalka, vampires, devas, and seraphim.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* There is no Central High School in Madison. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Just like there's no Midtown High in Queens. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Yes, Tom, I know.

That's part of the mystery.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't one now. But ya shoulda seen it before the Apocalypse.

[ November 15, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the joke there is that if there WERE a Central High in Madison, it would be underwater. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Oh no. My thread's been derailed.

:poetic justice:

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Poetic Justice: The ghost of Emiy Dickinson and a young, rather militant Robert Haas deal out mean shots of compressed imagery, internal rhymes and tortured metres in their mission to keep the streets of Boston Mass. clean and safe.

EDIT: With special appearances by Gerard Manley Hopkins as a vigilante priest who springs his rhythm on ne'er do wells and William S. Burroughs and his deadly streams of conscience.

[ November 15, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, this thread title really scared me, I thought someone was actually idiotic enough to try to make a TV show out of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books! [Angst]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, wouldn't that be what happened if they mixed Survivor and American Idol? [Monkeys]

[ November 15, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that a psychic would be a great character to build a detective show around. I don't mean a "real" psychic, either, but an unabashedly (as only the audience knows) phony one. Successful phony psychics depend on excellent powers of deduction, observation, and some fairly good insight into human foibles. Not only that, people open up to them simply because they think they're psychic. Fill out the cast with some support staff for the psychic/con artist, some annoyed police who know the psychic is a phony but can't prove it, and you just might have a show. The "psychic" would have to be someone who makes their living off the rich, rather than conning retired people out of their savings, though.

And, yes, I had this idea before Code of the Lifemaker came out. One of the main characters there is a "psychic," but used (effectively) in a great science fiction novel.

[ November 15, 2004, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the title...

What if they made a show with...well, almost ANY premise would work to start I suppose, and then, at the end of the show, they gave choices for how next week's episode would go. Then the audience could call in, Idol style, and "write" the story.

"Call 1-800-1ADVENTURE if Jack falls down."
"Call 1-800-2ADVENTURE if Jack breaks his crown."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Stephen, I'd like that show as long as there was never an ambiguous event that made the cynical con-psychic do something actuall psychic.

No, "But boss, the bulb burnt out - those lights didn't come from the projector."

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Dag,

that's my feeling as well - I wouldn't want this to have any "maybe she is, maybe she isn't" moments in it. The series would revolve around the exploitation of the "psychic" of other people's gullibility, combined with the aformentioned traits. (I've kinda decided this would be a great female detective role, but it could work for someone of either sex.)

Professional "psychics" would hate it, of course, since some of the show would reveal some tricks of the trade and lead people to view highly-paid figures who "talk to the dead" with a lot more skepticism.

[ November 16, 2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
sn, did you see the episode of South Park where one of the kids (Stan?) was trying to prove John Edwards was a fake and got his own show? No matter what he did, he couldn't convince people he wasn't really talking to the dead. I laughed my butt off.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

One of the best SP episodes ever.

Stan is so funny when he's realizing people are idiots.

And I'm liking the psychic show more and more, especially if it showed all the tricks of the trade ala CSI.

Dagonee

[ November 16, 2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

Avidreader,

I didn't see that SouthPark episode - I'll watch for it. (They've done a couple dynamite disability-related shows I have on tape.)

Dag - glad you like it. Back about 20 years ago when I still thought I might write a novel, this was the concept I was working on (thought it would be fun and it just might sell).

Rabblerousing doesn't leave much time to even pretend I might have a novel in me - at least until I retire. Which won't be any time soon.

(BTW, I think I managed to annoy the heck out of a certain Dominican priest last night - but I think you would have approved, Dag. [Wink] )

[ November 16, 2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Everyone needs to be annoyed every now and then - it's good for them. [Smile]
sndrake
Member # 4941

Actually, Dag, I'm seriously thinking this particular priest is way overdue for a protest from disability activists.

Way way overdue.

[/thread derailment]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'd be interested in hearing the details if you can stand typing up work-related stuff.

Dagonee

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a TV series based on the works of H. P. Lovecraft. It would be set in the 20's and 30's, and would have an X-files structure — a different bizarre paranormal phenomenon each week, all adding up to a much larger and darker threat. Only instead of aliens and government conspiracies, it would be the old gods rising from the deep and consuming mankind [Smile]

Oh, and despair. Lots of despair. No hope for victory, period.

[ November 16, 2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Puppy ]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Actually, I think Lovecraft could be updated quite well. Doesn't he have some stories where mathematical calculations bring something dark to the surface?

Imagine what could be conjured by a teraflop processor.

Dagonee

sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
I'd be interested in hearing the details if you can stand typing up work-related stuff.

Tomorrow, probably. Usual nighttime rules apply in relation to work stuff. [Smile]

I'll probably link to another thread when I do it, since I talked about him in a thread I think still exists and then we can take it off this thread and leave it for discussing TV shows of the future. [Smile]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm, Lovecraft...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.