FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Parting Shot

Author Topic: A Parting Shot
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ashcroft filed papes with the courts to strike down Oregon's Death with Dignity act.

Story

...I'm torn over the issue of assisted suicide.

However, this creeps me out. A parting shot after a resignation filed to strike down a state law that isn't liked.

Is Massachusetts next?

[ November 09, 2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
He's still the AG until a successor is confirmed which could last months. In the meantime the administration's policies have to be carried out. I don't see the big deal. As far as physician assisted suicide is concerned there are other members on this forum who can speak far more eloquently to that topic.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he is in office until his resignation is accepted....it IS his job. And there is no telling whether he will be in office long enough to actually carry it through, or what his successor will do.

What creeps me out is the growing belief that people have been disenfranchised if the government does not follow their every whim. Southern whites voted for the poll tax--were they disenfranchised when it was struck down?

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The appeal from Attorney General John Ashcroft had been expected since May, when a lower court ruled the federal government could not punish Oregon doctors who prescribed lethal doses of federally controlled drugs
It's the President's policy and it's been expected by May. Also, he didn't prepare the papers (I'm sure), nor would he argue it if he remains.

I don't see a big problem.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack,

this really shouldn't come as a surprise. They've been at it for a couple of years. The filing of the appeal was done on the last day possible. The Bush administration has been pretty clear that the challenge would be continued. And they REALLY weren't going to do it before election day.

I spent a few nasty minutes with the AP reporter whose story is spreading like a rash to papers and other media outlets. She's done some "creative," not to mention innacurate, things with language and terminology in the article.

(more tomorrow... I really can't write on this stuff at night if I want my brain to shut down in time to get a decent night's sleep.)

[ November 09, 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there are other members on this forum who can speak far more eloquently to that topic.
That certainly doesn't stop you from commenting on other subjects. [Smile]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
"A Parting Shot" not "A Cheap Shot."

Not that I'm a fan of NFL's politics, but still...

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.