FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Battle for Falluja

Author Topic: The Battle for Falluja
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who have been following developments in Iraq at all, this is interesting news.

quote:
FALLUJA, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. and Iraqi forces have begun a push into Falluja as part of an all-out assault aimed at driving insurgents out of the city.

[...]

More than 10,000 forces -- Marines, U.S. soldiers and Iraqi forces -- are expected to be involved in the assault. On Monday morning, tanks and attack vehicles streamed through the desert, getting in position for the fight.

The U.S. and Iraqi forces hope to pacify Falluja in time for elections in January for a transitional national assembly.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, this was an excellent Dobie of the M&Ms thread.

Five out of five Dobies.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
So it begins...

*crosses fingers*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Update.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
"10000 forces"? What the devil are these "forces"? Strong force, weak force, electromagnetic force? What's wrong with the word "soldiers"?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to be going well! Awesome [Smile] .
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
So far so good.

*Hopes for swift victory and low American/civilian casualties*

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, if we learned anything, it's that the battle is the easy part. The problem is keeping the peace.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend in Baghdad. I hope he's doing ok.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I do too Shigosi.

Just read an update on Fallujah.

Sounds encouraging. I'm glad that they're making the mistake of standing and fighting us; that's the kind of thing the US military is very, very good at doing. I was afraid that they'd just melt away, blend in with the populace, and all that, and then just take up arms again at the first opportune moment.

I find it staggering that we have the capability to perform airstrikes so precise that they take out a mosque's minarets without bringing down the rest of the building. The article's kind of ambiguous though; did they then destroy the mosque anyway?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely
The US seems to be using Nerve gas on Fallujah...
Terrific.
*bitter*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't...
One never knows... and it bothers me.
There is also another issue I have to do research on.....

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for the Army at USAMRIID for 2 years, and i doubt that those weapons will ever be used again, except in defense of the USA...as in the fighting is here, and we are fighting for our homes.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting Q -- if we would use them were we invaded, could we have justifiably condemned Iraq if they used them upon our invasion?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Hostage Freed by Marines in Fallujah

quote:
BAGHDAD, Nov. 11 -- A battered hostage, his wrists and ankles shackled to a wall, has been rescued by U.S. Marines moving through Fallujah, military officials said Thursday, providing further evidence that the rebel-held city was being used as a hideout for kidnappers.

Marine spokesman Maj. Francis Piccoli said the hostage was found about 4:40 p.m. Wednesday as troops engaged in a house-to-house sweep as part of the ongoing assault on Fallujah, the rebellious, mostly Sunni city about 35 miles west of the capital. Piccoli said the hostage's nationality was unknown. The rescued man said he was a taxi driver and that he had been held for 10 days without food or water.

I know this doesn't mean that the overall Fallujah operation will be successful or turn out to have been a good idea, but it is cause for celebration.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! We saved a guy!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
A guy who had likely only been captured for a couple days, or in fact was given drink/food.

I believe it's impossible to live more than a few days without water. If you aren't dead by day 10, you are in a coma.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/outdoorskills/article/0,13199,673223,00.html
---

That said, I hope the soldiers to a great job and get Iraq into a shape that can be conducive to better government than it's had in recent history (Hussein, not US Coalition, you wags!)

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure means the world to that fellow who was chained to the wall, doesn't it?
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading that the hostage was a cabdriver, I remembered a news item -- published a short few days prior to the US entry -- in which a Falluja cabdriver was named while giving a quote similar to "I just wish these rebels would leave the city and let us live in peace." And wondered whether it was the same cabdriver being punished for the reporter's lack of discretion.

[ November 11, 2004, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.