FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pet Peeve of the Day: No one listening.

Author Topic: Pet Peeve of the Day: No one listening.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to get my car fixed. I have for a while, and today I took it out to at least get the brakes fixed.

I pull in the car place, and someone marches over, mumbles "Oil change," into the window, then marches back and motions me forward. By the time I get out of the car, he's gone. After a couple of minutes, someone wanders over and asks what I need, and I am able to tell him that I need my brakes checked. He yells at the guy down below who is already starting to change the oil that that's not what I wanted. They get into a discussion where the first guy swears that's what I said, and the second says that I must have changed my mind in two minutes because what I need is my brakes checked. Employee #3 comes over and takes my keys to drive the car around to check the brakes. I wait in the waiting room.

Employee #3 comes back. Yes, my brake pads need to be changed. "Great, let's do that." Well, they close in fifteen minutes and it might take longer than fifteen minutes. Come back Monday morning.

I take my keys back and walk to my car - this has now been officially pointless. Why is he telling me what my car needs when I just have to find some other place to take care of it now and have the whole conversation over again? And if they weren't willing to fix the brakes this late in the day, why didn't someone say that before they made me wait?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Because they're men? Because they're men with wrenches? Because they can? Because this is what men in garages do the world over? Because you're just a woman and what are you gonna do about it?

Yeah, I'm picking on men everywhere, and that's kinda mean, but on the other hand, I swear, every woman in the world who's taken her car in for service has been through this.

I am much less patient than you. I speak in loud voices. I correct them - loudly - when they're wrong. I demand. I ask questions - again, in a loud voice. In short, I demand good service and make them give it to me, even when it's against their will. Doesn't always work, but often enough.

Having said that, on the rare occasion when I find a reputable mechanic with decent service, I shower them with all the business they can stand. And the bad ones? I tell them when their service sucked and why and I make sure they know that I'll be telling everyone about it.

In short, I'm loud. [Big Grin] And I embarass the heck out of them.

My sympathies.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Quid's not far wrong on this - the mechanic mumbled "oil change, ma'am?"

Well, that's what he meant - and when you didn't object (loudly), he took that to mean "Yes sir, thank you kindly, oh masterful stud of a mechanic."

Although that last part is more of a guy thing and less of a mechanic thing. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, I'm with you... I hate when people don't listen.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope they didn't start draining the oil from your car before you got them straightened out.

Sheesh!

Men! Feh!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The service advisor at the place I take my car is a woman. She listens. She's very thorough. I like it.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Second Pet Peeve of the Day: One thousand ants live in the wall that faces the outside. I have been complaining about them for FIVE MONTHS AND NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. I hate this - I hate that acting like a lady will get you approval and then ignored, and in order to stop from being treated like crap you have to throw a fit. This is very, very irritating. When I say it's the Killing Fields, I'm not kidding. THere are ants lining my baseboards like a spilled can of pepper. There are ants on the walls. I've pulled my bed away from the wall because they were getting on my bed. It's infuriating, and it's even more infuriating that my polite requests for them to live up to their obligations have been ignored. It's time to throw a fit, and I hate doing that.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
You are too nice. Much like me. Nice to a fault. Would you like one of my brown tweed T-Shirts that says "WELCOME" in big green letters on it?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.