FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Volkswagen Issues

Author Topic: Volkswagen Issues
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, cars this time,

Remember the old series? Polo for Hatchback and/or Coupe (give me a break, I have no energy to copy a French accented e), Golf for the ones in need of more Hatchback/Coupe space, and the Passat for the Sedan needee (is that a word?.

But the Polo had a Sedan, and the Golf had a Station Wagon (possibly even a Polo SW and a Golf Sedan), and the Passat had a Station Wagon too.

Questions about that:

1)What were the Polo and Golf SW and/or Sedans aimed for? What market?
2)What did the Passat offer beyond that?

Later on, a Bora came in, with a SW ALSO. The Golf appeared to have no more Sedans/SW, and the Polo didn't get modern-style Sedans and/or SW.

Questions:

3) What was the Bora aimed at?
4) What happened to the Golf and Polo Sedan/SW?

A bit later, Skoda (again, no energy copying an accented Czech s) was purchased and the Octavia was now made into a modern Passat. The Polo apparently became obsolete and the Fabia got a new position.

5) Why was the Polo obsoleted?
6) What was the Octavia aiming at that the Passat wasn't?
7) What's the Fabia in relation to the Polo/Golf?

Now, the Bora's obsolete, a new Jetta was forged, a GTI was branded even though it looks like a Golf, and a Phaeton brand was made for luxury (obviously clashing with the Audi brand), there's a new Skoda brand in the name of "Superb", that's apparently a Phaeton, yet looks just like an Octavia.

8) Why's the Bora out?
9) Why's the Jetta in?
10) Is the Jetta a replacement of the Bora? If so, why was the name changed?
11) What's "GTI"? Is it a Golf?
12) What about Phaeton and Audi?
13) Octavia "SUPERB"? How does that fit in?

Yours sincerely,

Confused Jonathan Howard(TM)

P.S. Sorry for proofing, I'm just hurrying to see Parkinson interview Billy Connolly.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"

"I checked it very thoroughly," said the computer, "and that quite definitely is the answer. I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
My interest in VW ended when they stopped production on the original Beetle.

I liked the convertible Karmann Ghia.

Of the new models, I'm interested somewhat in their diesel engines because of the high gas mileage, but frankly, I'm probably going to go with a hybrid the next time I purchase a car.

Styling-wise, VW is mildly interesting, but they always seem overpriced to me.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.