FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Speaking of poetry

Author Topic: Speaking of poetry
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to translate some of my favourite Norwegian poems lately. Alas, I fear I am more suited to physics. Still, here's the best I can do for one of our more famous war poems :

quote:
May 17th, 1940

Today the flagpole stands naked
'midst Eidsvoll's springtime greens.
But in this very hour
we know what freedom means.
There rises a song in the country
victorious in its speech
though whispered from closed lips
where strangers' ears might reach.

We found a newborn wisdom :
Freedom and life are one.
So simple, so necessary
not missed until they're gone.
We felt, when thralldom threatened,
a gasping struggle for breath
as in a sinking U-boat.
We will not die such a death.

Worse than burning cities
is the war you cannot see,
which lays a poisoned slime trail
on earth and snow and tree.
With fear of spy and informer
they invaded our land.
We cannot forget our dream of peace
howsoever it be banned.

Slowly the land became ours
with yield of sea and field
and in us rose a loving
for the land that lets us be healed.
We did not follow the times
we built on defiant peace.
And those whose deeds are ruin
have reason for mocking fleers.

Now we fight for the right to breathe :
We know the day must dawn
when spring arises in Norway
with a single united song.
We left our comrades southwards,
pale, weary fighting men.
To you is given a promise :
That we shall come again.

Here we shall honour the dead
who gave their lives for our peace
the soldier in reddened snow
the sailor under cold seas.
We are so few in this country;
each fallen is brother and friend.
The dead come marching with us
the day that we come again.

Written while we were still fighting in the North, though we had been forced to abandon the country south of Trondhjem. The first of many broadcasts by Nordahl Grieg (the poet) to an occupied nation.

I am particularly unhappy with the fifth stanza, where I had to twist the meaning around a bit to preserve any semblance of a rhyme. A literal translation would read

Now fight we for right to breathe
We know there must dawn a day
when Norwegians unite in same
liberating breath.

The trouble is that I can't think of a good synonym for that final 'breath,' while Grieg could use 'åndedrag,' something like 'spirit-drawing,' 'life-drawing.' I had a similar problem in the second stanza, but I there I could remove 'åndedrett' (noun form of åndedrag) from the first half and rhyme with 'death' in the second half. Any suggestions?

Incidentally, Eidsvoll is the city where our constitutional convention met, and the modern nation of Norway was born, "united and faithful 'til Dovre falls." The Constitution was adopted on the 17th of May, our national day, hence the date.

Anyone want to try translating poetry from another language?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Would replacing the line, "with a single united song." with " and our unified breath is drawn " be anywhere close to what you were looking for? .

[ November 04, 2004, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, very good! I knew there had to be something better than what I was doing.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
King of Men, I am very impressed. Translating poetry is challenging, and this is lovely. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice translation job.

The Norwegian Resistance was impressive, especially their attacks on the heavy water shipment. That set the German A-bomb project back quite a bit.

My dad went to the museum about this, I think in Oslo, and told me some of the stories.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Well, to be honest, I think our Resistance has been hyped just a little. I mean, compare with places like Poland and (especially) Yugoslavia, which was essentially free by its own effort at the end of the war. Much as I admire the people who blew up the Rjukan plant, that was the only major blow we struck. What with the 400000 troops Hitler thought necessary to guard our coastline, you'd think we could have bombed the occasional garrison.

Of course, the Nazis treated us with kid gloves, comparatively speaking; 'Aryan brothers,' as it were. I have to say, I'm very glad I wasn't alive then; at six foot, blond, blue-eyed, and (as a kid) lonely and intellectual, I could very easily have been sucked into Nasjonal Samling or the hird. I would have been precisely the sort of misfit they attracted. Brrr.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.