FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eccentric, Poetic Request

Author Topic: Eccentric, Poetic Request
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear forum,

I've been learning poetry lately in school. When I *suddenly* realised how sophisticated every thing is. The sentence and line lengths, the rhyming sequence, the phonetic sounding (as in: "The fierce foam flew", F, F, F), as well as the syllables' collaboration to make a certain sound effect (as in horses' hooves; you have that in a Latin poem).

Does anyone know the most complex and sophisticated English stansa (AKA: "Verse") - needless to say, in a poem - in which as many of these (and others) occur as flawlessly as possible? Please, no older than 1550 AD; as my English gets less powerful older than then.

This is bizzare, I know. That's why I posted here: this is the one of those forums whose entire members' minds' value would be enough to... Well, let's not discuss it here.

Anyone knows any poems with such "perfect" stansas? Thank you all in advance,

Jonathan Howard (NOT THE AUSTRALIAN PRY MINIATURE!)

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me say it. [Smile]

"Do your own homework."

We love poetry here - what is your favorite that you've studied so far?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably Coleridge.

"The sun came out upon the left,
Out of the sea came he;
And he shone bright, and on the right
Went down into the sea."

"Water, water everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

"Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread;
For he on honey dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of paradise."

"'Ah wretch!' said they, the bird to slay,
That made the breeze to blow!"

Tennyson's OK, and I like Milton; despite his very powerful poetry. I'd go for Coleridge's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and "Kubla Khan".

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is one of my all-time favorites too. I love everything about that poem.

I've recently become very fond of Edna St. Vincent Milay and Lady Mary Wortley Montagu. Also, Robert Frost. He's so traditional and so subversive at the same time.

Edgar Allen Poe has several poems, including "The Bells" that fit the description of what you were looking for in the first post. My favorite of his is "Alone," for content reasons.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I'll happily check out Edgar Allen Poe.

Did I ever mention I liked (and preferred to George Bernard Shaw) Yeats?

But then, I haven't been acquainted to THAT much poetry; I'm regarded unusual locally for actually READING a Shakespeare play (Julius Caesar + Antony & Cleopatra) *gasping*.

But then, how can a man or a woman, especially a child, avoid a good poem written by the greatest of all times? Cicero, Caesar, Milton or Edgar Kereth (local Israeli) - how can you override that desire?

Jonathan Howard

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Now come on. I've gotten jatraqueros to do my homework for me before. All it takes is making a game out of it. Jatraqueros love games.

I won't help at all with poetry because I know next to nothing about it. But good luck!

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thanks!
katharina
Member # 827

I love Yeats!!
quote:

When you are old, and gray, and full of sleep
And nodding by the fire, take down this book
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and their shadows deep.

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true
But one man loved the pilgrin soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face.

And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur, a little sadly, how love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.

I love the classics - Virgil especially. I love Cicero for his fiery oratory and for his character; he's always been my favorite Roman, and my heart just goes out to him. He never knew when to keep his mouth shut, but that same mouth and brain earned him a place that lesser men had to achieve with money and force. I've heard unpleasant things about his poetry, though. Is there one especially that you liked?

For examples of poetry that creates pictures with the sound of the words, how about Alan Ginsberg? He's a more modern poet, but the words thump and sing. Try "Howl."

[ November 04, 2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Ummm... Lorem Ipsum?

I'm not too much of an expert...

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I even wrote my own poem:

quote:
'Twas down the street one merry night,
A lovely chill of air;
When something peeked into my sight,
Momently - I was aware.

A bird above my head did fly,
So swift and quick, so rare;
And as I gazed up to the sky,
Perplexed I was right there.

And as I gazed into the Heavens,
A lovely scene saw I;
A view of skyhigh havens,
Right there, up in the sky.

Like Heaven's earthly brooks,
A view so bright and clear;
I could not shake off it my looks,
and thought - it's near, it's here.

To my great grief, I lost the page with the rest. Upon retrieal you'll be informed. [Wink]

Jonathan Howard

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I met a traveler from an antique land,
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings.
Look on my works ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that Colossal Wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

"Ozymandias" Percy B. Shelley.

EDIT: The site I copied this from had so many errors in the poem. Gah!

[ November 04, 2004, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Had you copied it from my site, you would have found fewer errors. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know you had a site, or of course I would have. [Smile]

(ooo this is my 1776th post! I like date posts)

[ November 04, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Mine's just in the tough days in Judea following the death of Hrod Agrippa the 1st. 10 years later and all Romans were hating the jews. Got another 13 posts to the big days of destruction.

Hey, why don't I write a poem about it?

Jonathan Howard

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.