FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Big O - the anime you sick puppy!

Author Topic: The Big O - the anime you sick puppy!
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to tell you guys about a SUPER cool anime... almost as weird and cool as Neo Genesis Evangelion:

"The Big O"!

quote:
Cast In The Name Of God Ye Not Guilty

Forty years ago, a mysterious worldwide event happened that eliminated all memories from prior to that point. From this completely blank start, man began to rebuild. With no knowledge of even how to operate machinery or use electricity, the process was slow. Eventually man did regain this knowledge and elements of society such as industry and agriculture began to resume. However, the common hole in all of mankind’s thoughts remained; the world that had existed before the memories were lost was nothing more than a vague figure in the shadows.

Nobody even knew if man had brought this disaster upon himself.
Slowly, society began to resume itself on a new path. Some things proved they never change as politicians and industrial leaders once again assumed control of the sub-net of the known world, pulling the strings of the marionettes to make the outcomes of whatever situation they pleased be in favor of them. The central nexus of power, known to all as the Paradigm Group, controls virtually every aspect of the city that has become man's last bastion of hope. From Paradigm, this group extends its hands to control much of what's left of mankind. Full of dark alley ways and empty buildings, the city itself is nothing more than a re-animated corpse lacking any form of a soul.

Deep beneath the city the ruins of the subway system still remain, a large part of it intact. The deeper one travels the more advanced the technology used in the subways become. Yet, nobody uses the subways anymore. Most are scared of what they might find down there, most are scared they'll find answers they're not ready for.

Roger Smith is the top negotiator in Paradigm City. With his android companion Dorothy, his butler Norman and his giant robot Big O, Roger fights evil and corruption in a world where what's been forgotten can still come back to haunt you.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Great show! Too bad the second season was completely crazy and incomprehensible (even so, it contained a lot of interesting imagery). The human-tomato allegory was too weird to even try figuring out.

My favorite episodes are definitely the ones with Schwarzwald. What a great character -- so tortured and hard to figure out! His voice actor in the English dub was amazing (all the voice acting was, really).

So yeah, Big O. One of my favorite shows for quite some time.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I so wanted to like this show. It had style, three dimensional characters, an intriguing story. , But the incoherent ending totally ruined it for me. I was quite disappointed.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. And giant robots. Can't forget the giant robots.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to get the brick of this series. It's pretty cheap.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was ok, I liked blue gender alot though when it was on.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother lent this to us - Eve's wathced some episodes and I haven't. She gives it good reviews.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, yeah. And giant robots. Can't forget the giant robots.
YOU DIG GIANT ROBOTS
I DIG GIANT ROBOTS
WE DIG GIANT ROBOTS
CHICKS DIG GIANT ROBOTS
</Megas XLR>

nice.

Oh, and the little redheaded android in "The Big O" is hot.

That is all.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
So I've finished the first season... WOW.

The world has been wiped out by the Event... Paradigm City, rebuilt New York, is the last city on Earth... or so we think!

I turns out there are foriegners! From France no less! And for some reason they really hate Paradigm! I've seen two or three episodes from season two and it seems like they are called The Union. Why the Union of foreign people hate Paradigm is still a mystery. Chairman Alex Rosewater seems to know... and his father Gordon Roswater seems to know everything... What's up with it all???

The end with Dorothy's clone killing the people with the implanted memories of things before the cataclysm and then the three foreign war robots marching on the Domes... heheh..

Second season comes out on dvd in a month... *rubs hands together in glee*

[ November 04, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The end with Dorothy's clone killing the people with the implanted memories of things before the cataclysm and then the three foreign war robots marching on the Domes... heheh..
But was it really Dorothy's clone, or was it Dorothy herself? I tend to favor the latter interpretation, since Dorothy seemed to receive some signal from Big Duo right before it shut down.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I think they are different...because the evil Dorothy is crushed by Big O just before she kills Rodger... but hey... half the time we never see how Rodger gets into Big O, I'm sure Dorothy could have snuck into the pilot seat really quick. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.