FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » California's 8 foot Ballot

Author Topic: California's 8 foot Ballot
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, west coasters.

So we've got like a billion propositions on the ballot tommorow.

I blogged about my thoughts on them. Anybody else have anything to toss around?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
62: No
63: No
64: Yes
65: No
66: No (Don't mess with 3 strikes. This prop will let out thousands of repeat offenders!)
67: No
68: No
69: No (DNA samples if you're convicted. Not just arrested!!)
70: No (Torn on this one)
71: No (I support stim cell research but I'm against using gov't money for research in general)
72: No

Generally, I'm against anything that issues Bonds. People see Bonds and think that means they never have to pay for them. This is the same mentality that causes people to get into credit card debt and never get out.

Also I'm against anything other than roads/courts/police/prisons that spend money. Once they pass one of those it never goes away. Eventually we'll collapse under their weight.

Anyway looks like all we disagree on is the DNA sample one.

[ November 02, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(previous discussion on CA propositions)

1A: No
59: No (more red tape, for no good reason)
60: No
60A: No (and I agree with your reasoning, doc)
61: No (I'm against bonds in general, and this is a terribly-written proposition)
62: No (didn't we say no to this a few years ago?!)
63: Yes (I was on the fence about this one, but I did eventually vote yes)
64: No (this actually makes a whole lot of lawsuits more difficult, and is not nearly as straightforward as its proponents claim; link)
66: No WAY!
68 and 70: No (we actually already HAVE a new agreement with the tribes)
69: No (I'm with Pixiest on this; plus, why is THIS our financial priority?)
71: No (we had a whole thread on this one)
72: No (bad idea, and poorly written)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
1A: No
59: No
60: No
60A: Yes (It doesn't do much to help, but at least it's something)
61: No (can't afford it, and it makes poor financial sense, anyway)
62: No (and, yes, we've had this one crop up again and again and again...)
63: No
66: Yes (far too many things in CA qualify as felonies)
68: No
69: No
70: No
71: No
72: No

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
66: Yes (far too many things in CA qualify as felonies)
[Confused] I must be misunderstanding you. Wouldn't that be a reason to vote against it?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
A Yes on 66 amends the three strikes law.

No
yes
no
62: no
63: no (Mental Health exacerbates other problems, and I believe that in a community, those who are lucky should help out those who are unlucky. Maybe if I knew more, I'd vote yes, but I don't knnow where the money is going.)
64:No
65:no
66:yes
67:No
68:no
69:no
70:no
71:Yes
72:Yes

[ November 02, 2004, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

D'oh! I was confusing 66 and 69!

Good thing I already voted. [Wink]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lord. Do people in California draw up Propositions for EVERYTHING?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a function of the constitution? I know in Alabama, a bunch of things that concern only one county or city have to be voted on state wide. We have to vote on whether or not Greene county can form a school system, for example.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! And if it doesn't pass we just put them on the ballot again! And again! And again!
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
In 1976, we cut property taxes through a proposition. It was a big blow to political infrastructure of the state, from schools to roads, and in the 80s and 90s, propositions were the way that rich ideologues subverted the legislature by buying enough signatures put measures on the ballots. Bonds have to go to a public vote, but most of the other propositions are driven by a special interest with enough resources to buy a space on the ballot but not enough of an argument to get through the senate.

Now, it's California politics on both sides. It's not a corrupt system, but it doesn't make me feel good that California politics chose this road.

[ November 02, 2004, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
When there is a large field of candidates, Prop 62 does the opposite of what it is supposed to do: it selects for the least moderate candidates.

The proposed system is similar to that in France, in which two of the three most-despised-despised-by-the-public-as-a-whole candidates LePen and Chirac got the most votes in the primaries because they strongly attracted extremists.

In the general election, Chirac won over LePen by 82%to18% cuz all of the opposition parties decided that election of (or even a good showing by) the nutcase LePen would embarass France in front of the world.

[ November 02, 2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear the Madison area ballots had a proposition for a city pool. Green Bay's had nothing.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there are any propositions on our local ballot, either.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Madison has a proposition on whether we can include lakeshore park property to be considered for a public pool site. (Wisconsin State Journal editorial, Capital Times editorial) In the past, lakeshore park property was set aside from such use.

That's it, though. I am aghast at California's list. [Eek!]

[ November 02, 2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Oregon doesn't even get that proposition, Sara. We're completely unpropositioned.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Not only are there state-wide propositions, but if you live in San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland, etc. there are always several county/city propositions.

Here's what I have with me so I can vote this evening when I get off work:

--165 page voter information guide from the state (this covers the propositions)

--A 21 page supplement to the guide for stuff that didn't make it into the original guide (another propisition)

--An approximately 30 page sample ballot and voting guide from Alameda Country (no page numbers)

BTW, I'm pleased to see that all the California Jatraqueros who have posted so far have been quite conservative in voting yes on the various propositions. I think that's a wise course of action, and I can only hope that the rest of the voters in the state do the same -- I fear they won't.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like nobody asked you to dance.

[Frown]

There's always the option of dancing with yourself. [Smile]

I knew not of the pool proposition until I voted. I was asked to dance, but I didn't know how. This caused a small amount of consternation in my voting booth, but I think fast on my feet, and I think I covered for it well.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Or it's like nobody asked you to play.

There's always the option....

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Didn't Cyndi Lauper ... oh, never mind.

[Wink]

(Hi, Papa. Happy Election Day! I am on my fourth hour of nausea and holding steady.)

rivka
Member # 4859

Results: (Linky)

1A: Yes
59: Yes
60: Yes [Wall Bash]
60A: Yes
61: (I think this one needs 67% to pass?)
62: No (probably) -- What happens if this and 60 both pass, anyway?
63: Yes
66: Very tight
68 and 70: No
69: Yes
71: Yes
72: Very tight

Oh, and Zal, I entirely agree. The number of horribly-worded propositions which pass and then get overturned in the courts is simply obscene.

[ November 03, 2004, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, why would you be in favor or DNA testing for arrests? Don't you think that would lead to abuses?

or is that just me mixing up all those props again....lol...?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Kwea, I voted against 69, but it passed. (My last post was results, not how I voted.)
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh...it will be overturned on Constitutional issues I bet..including Dags favorite...the no-so-well defined right to privacy!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

Those are the results; you can see how she actually voted above.

Edit: you two beat me to it.

[ November 03, 2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Bekenn ]

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope - if it's overturned it will be based on the good ol' 4th amendment protections against unreasonable search and seizures.

"Probable cause exists where the facts and circumstances known by the officer and supported by reasonably trustworthy information leads to the reasonable belief that an offense has been or is being committed by the person to be arrested or a specifically described item subject to seizure will be found." This standard is NOT satisfied by automatic DNA testing at arrest.

The likely tact defending the law will be the need to have a sure means of identifying a person who has been arrested and checking for warrants. Fingerprints are used for that now, but there's been studies about the unreliability of fingerprints.

Lots of nitty-gritty legal issues to have fun with in this one.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Prop 69 scares the hell out of me, truth be told.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I wouldn't go that far; but I think it's dreadful, and hope it gets zapped by the courts.
rivka
Member # 4859

Looks like it didn't need 67%. I never remember if that's for bond issues? Propositions that raise taxes?

Somebody help me here . . .

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
We're like that in Florida: we ammend our constitution for everything, because it's easier to get a crappy law passed by putting it before the shee--er, voters, than through the legislature, who might, after all, be in someone else's pocket instead of yours.

Cynical?

Who, me?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

We don't do that.

We make the voters vote on it AFTER the Legislature does, sometimes.

Bekenn
Member # 6602

quote:
Originally posted by adam613
You mean that some propositions require a supermajority, and not everyone knows which ones they are??? What kind of state do you live in??

Confusion.
rivka
Member # 4859

*grin* That too.

Ok, having failed to Google the answer, I asked my mom. [Wink] We need a supermajority for any proposition that raises property taxes. This includes bonds which are "local general obligation bonds," and is due to the (in)famous Proposition 13, passed back in 1978.

Twenty Years Later

Another view

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.