FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer geeks wanted

Author Topic: Computer geeks wanted
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know if there is an easy and relatively painless way of putting some excel spreadsheet data up on my website. If I had to, I could print PDFs and post them, but PDFs take too long to download. I'd rather had a visual right smack dab in the middle of a page. And it would be even easier if I could update it regularly - as in every day - in a rather painless way.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
You could make a table that has the same number of rows and columns as your spreadsheet and update the values whenever you feel like.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
While kaioshin00's suggestion is the most sensible, there's no reason why your pdf's should be particularly large, especially if they contain no bitmapped pictures and that you ensure your compression options sticks to screen resolution for any images you do have.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I should have expanded that to include the fact that the Adobe Acrobat Reader program takes too long to load up. Which is why I don't want to go that route. I get too impatient waiting an extra ten seconds. . . And I also know that other people feel the same way. It's a faster load to simply have it on a webpage rather than a pdf.

And as I read back over my original post, I also realize that I should have said a couple of other things as well. While I know that I can save an excel spreadsheet as a web page, I'm dealing with four worksheets in the spreadsheet, and I want them to have the same formatting as the rest of my website. If I can find a way to do this in one step rather than cutting and pasting and more cutting and pasting and yet more cutting and pasting. . . Well, basically, I'm lazy. I'd like to find a way to do this as seamlessly as possible.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can handle cutting and pasting just the content, you could use css to setup the visual style in an external stylesheet.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh....

What is wrong with just using Excel's own "Save as a web page" feature?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Excel's save as a website would be ugly. And he wants it in the same format.

Hrm well if you're not willing to update the tables on the website manually. And I'm assuming you're not willing to switch to a different app than Excel. And if you don't want their website stuff or pdfs.
Well I'm at a loss for other ways to do this.

How often are these tables updated? Are you just using excel to store the data, or do you actually use some of the math features?

Oh I have a totally bloated and impractical solution. What you need to do is set up a database. Have the excel files access the database and then create a php or perl (or whatever your favorite language of the moment is) script that basicaly automatically updates the website for you as well. It'd do exactly what you want but it seems like a ton of work that's probably not worth it.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you insist on this, the lowest-maintenance way to do it is this:

Create an Excel spreadsheet. Put it online.
Query the spreadsheet via ODBC on the webpage.
Use CSS to style the webpages the way you want.

In this scenario, the only thing you need to update once you have everything created is the spreadsheet itself, which you can even open directly from the website if you're using newer versions of Excel.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

He is a she. [Wave] That's point number one.

Well, I guess I could sum it up with what you've told me so far by saying that a. yes, it can be done, but it would require a load of work or b. yes it can be done, but I'll have to write some code or c. I can copy or paste or d. I could suck it up and use PDFs anyway and stop pissing off those people who think I just ought to suck it up and use it [Big Grin] or e. I could save as a web page in excel and let it be ugly or d. create a database or something like that.

Whew!

I go for either option b. or c. Now. Next question. Am I actually capable of learning how to write some code?

Oh. Except the other point I forgot to mention. First, yes, I am actually using the math features. If I weren't, I'd figure something else out already. Second, yeah, it's also got some pretty graphs it creates for me automatically, and I don't wanna sacrifice the pretty graphs. They're too cool.

And I need to update it on a daily basis for the next month. Just cuz I'm that much of a geek. [Wall Bash]

Thanks, y'all, for your input. And I'm thinking it might just be about time for me to learn about css and all that other stuff that I don't presently understand at all. Oh, not saying I gotta know how to use them - but I guess I could handle learning the basics about them. I seem to be running across some of these terms more and more as I get more involved and more demanding of my web pages.

And the end result? I guess I'm a gonna cut and paste. Sigh. [Roll Eyes]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh wait, another reply came in before I finished writing the last one. I particularly liked the way it started out: [Big Grin]
quote:
If you insist on this, the lowest-maintenance way to do it is this:

Create an Excel spreadsheet. Put it online.
Query the spreadsheet via ODBC on the webpage.
Use CSS to style the webpages the way you want.

In this scenario, the only thing you need to update once you have everything created is the spreadsheet itself, which you can even open directly from the website if you're using newer versions of Excel.

Yep, lost me at "CSS". Yep, time to get me an edyumakashun. [Angst]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want the pretty graphs, by the way, I'm afraid you're better off using the "save as a web page" function in Excel, or generating a report in HTML format in Access. If you go the database route, you'll lose the graphs unless you use Web Parts -- which you won't.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, I understood about half of what ya said. Like I said, I think I'll go the ol' cut 'n paste method. That sounds like the easiest overall.

Sigh. [Frown]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could use one of the many available graphing packages and hook it into your database with a bit of programming. There's hardly only one solution for graphing out there.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

*grin* From her previous post, fugu, I didn't figure she wanted to learn a graphing package. [Smile]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
This is true [Wink] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Let me put it this way.

While I am a mini-geek, I am only a mini-geek. And things like html and coding are, well, not my cup of tea, herbal or otherwise. And this month, November, is NaNoWriMo. That means I'm writing like a devil this month. And the purpose behind my previous posts was to post pretty little graphs and things onto my NaNoWriMo blog.

How much patience do you honestly think I'd have for learning anything that new and, to me, complicated? In a month where I'm already going to be going crazy?

Yeah, that's too much information. [Angst]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Actually, if you're already running a blog and are only tracking very basic, limited information, I'd be surprised if there weren't already some kind of plug-in available for your blogging software to do this. Most forum software I've seen supports this kind of functionality.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh. Didn't know that.

Ironically, my husband is a programmer, and is the one who wrote the blog software I use.

However, to further complicate matters, it's also Ramadan right now. Summary of that - the month of fasting for Muslims. It also means he's tired, cranky, and irritable. To complicate the situation even more than that, he also started a new job, and he's doing that on top of his old job.

Which also means that, while I could ask him about this, I'm better off picking my moments. More sighs. [Big Grin] My whole life is pretty ridiculous right now. [ROFL] I think I'll give him a week after Ramadan is over to recover and sleep before I ask him any questions requiring more than a "yes" or "no" answer.

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
oops sorry about the he thing. [Smile]

I just like to be contrary and always assume that the person asking for help is male and the person giving help is female. *ducks*

Are you basically trying to show how your word/page/other type of counts is changing over the month? Surely there should be a nice way to do that. Of course I'm fairly good at saying this seems like a common thing people want to do someone must have done it and then I find out oh no wrong again.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, I like assuming male stupidity and helplessness as well. It's much more fun. [Angst]

Um, yeah. Exactly. Well, there is the progress meter that I've found and will be using, but I also wanted to show some pretty little spreadsheets and graphs. I haven't found an easier way of doing things or anything pre-built, so for now, I'll go with the cut-and-paste method. Ugh. But it's easier than learning how to code. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.