FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Seeking specific info on pre-Iraq politics

Author Topic: Seeking specific info on pre-Iraq politics
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to make the argument that the reason we went to war in Iraq had nothing to do with getting oil, and little to do with WMD, but much to do with the success of Lobby-ists.

I remember seeing/hearing articles about Iraq Refugees lobbying the white house pushing to invade Iraq before 9/11 and after.

Some of those lobbyists faked the Nuclear Bomb plans that included those fun Aluminum tubes.

Some of them have gone on to get involved with post-war Iraq, only to be arrested by our military for crimes such as forgery and counterfitting.

I can't find any good links to back up this idea.

We've seen how the drug lobby watered down the Drug Bill, and how the cigarette lobby defeated the federal lawsuit congress was preparing. We even seen how the insurance lobby has turned the Republican Health Care Initiative into a one trick pony of limiting payouts.

What I am trying to determine is, are lobbyists powerful enough to stir us into a war for their clients benefit?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to ask, can anyone help me dig up appropriate links to back up, or discredit, this theory.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"What I am trying to determine is, are lobbyists powerful enough to stir us into a war for their clients benefit?"

What's odd is that this question can be definitively answered with a "yes," while the more relevant question -- "did lobbyists stir us into a war" -- cannot.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
You may also want to pay attention to the first rumors of war against Iraq -- as I recall, the Republican party started swirling them shortly before the 2002 Congressional elections. No doubt lobbyists played some degree of importance in starting war, but I'm not sure the reasons for attacking Iraq can be weren't less direct.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I most definitely recall coming on to Hatrack sometime shortly after 9/11 to question why the media kept asking the administration whether it would attack Iraq when the administration had (at that point) given no indication of a desire to do so. The media repeatedly proposed the war before I heard anyone else do it, to the point where I can't help but wonder if the media (intentionally or unintentionally) had a big hand in creating it.

What is also interesting is that people don't seem to remember this...

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.