FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Random Mutterings of Me

Author Topic: The Random Mutterings of Me
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like modern jazz.

I don't. It's either too muzak for me, or is a solo competition between band members. But all they ever play are variations on scales. Bleh.

I don't have an appreciation for ethnic music. (Except for Latino music, and then only if there's no accordian within 1200 miles of the band playing) And no matter how you mix it, an American Indian pow-wow sounds like organized screaming to me.

I know, as a writer and sensitive type guy, I'm supposed to be open minded and accepting. But your stupid SUV is the biggest waste of metal and plastic ever to lay wheels on asphalt.

By the way, dummy-- the bigger your car, the larger your blindspots. I have the right of way when you're moving into my lane. Look out for me, I'm pretty angry as it is without you plowing your vehicle into my ribs.

More later. Like you want more.

You want more.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't have an appreciation for ethnic music.
Oh boy...you're really missing out!

Accordians? I can't recall any music that I liked that had an Accordian playing in it. Nope...I'm not a Polka kinda girl.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You know that it's possible to develop appreciation for things you didn't expect to like, right? [Razz]

(That is, if there is any merit in the aforementioned things.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I on the other hand subjected my hapless victims trapped in my car for 3 hours with me, to a variety that included, Gypsy Kings and Irish Folk Music, and a bit of Jamaicanish stuff, along with Bob Dylan.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I'd be okay trapped in your car forever then AJ..I love that type of music. [Smile]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] *sniff* I couldn't go.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead you got to give me an unsolicted hug, not a great deal for you but it made me happy. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] You deserve it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*wants to be trapped in Bannaoj's car too*
As this is the sort of stuff you'd find on a typical mix of mine.
I agree about SUVs especially HUMMERS! [Mad]
But ethnic music is GREAT!
Especially these scintilating Russian folk songs.
Mmm. Russian Folk songs.
And Hindi music
And salsa
And Brazilian music....
And Irish music...
and Arabian belly dancing music.

As for modern Jazz, I DO NOT LIKE muzaky versions of all the crap they play ont he other stations.
Oh, but give me a sweet textured bebop influenced song any day. Sweet smooth saxes, Lovely trumpets... Mmm. I adore that. And mix a piano in. Just doesn't get any better than that.

[ October 25, 2004, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
When my SUV pulls your car out of the ditch on that unlucky snowy morning...

I am much more worried about the blind-spots associated with driving while a cell-phone is plastered to the driver's ear.

Or when their cute lil doggie is sitting in the driver's lap with it's head out the window. Who are those idiots????

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, I didn't hear your victims whine too much about the music, but it sounds pretty cool to me (the music, not mike whining about it)

Tammy, I was wondering, do you like John Mellancamp? Or is he too polka like for you?

(<- doesn't really like him, but for other reasons)

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
When my SUV pulls your car out of the ditch on that unlucky snowy morning...
I don't drive when it snows. Your SUV is still a waste.

[Razz]

I love books on tape. Seriously, is there a better invention for the bored commuter? Not even satellite radio compares. For one thing, books on tape can be checked out of the library, where satellite radio costs you monthly. Now, I listen to traffic before I leave work, pop in a book, check traffic again in a little bit, then go back to my book. It's wonderful. Cuts down on the stress of contending with all those SUV's out on the road. My blood pressure, no lie, is way down since I started listening to books on tape.

All our metaphors for God are incomplete. King, Father, Savior. . . but especially Father. What kind of Father puts His children in harm's way just so they can learn something? As a father myself, I try to spare my children pain, and try to make their learning experiences pleasurable. God doesn't seem to operate that way. Pain and tragedy seem to be on His lesson plan as well as joy and beauty.

I'm okay with that. I'm not okay with the idea that God is a Nice Old Guy. I don't think He is at all.

If He wants to show me otherwise, I would not object. . . [Smile]

I am continually grateful that both my family and my wife's family are all stable individuals. Mostly. We have no history of any type of mental illness. That's a blessing in this day and age, where it seems like 3/4 of the population is taking prozac. It does not suprise me, however, that the majority of prozac takers all drive SUV's.

In addtion to being well-adjusted folk, Mrs. R's family are pretty acceptable as human beings. In other words, I like 'em. I like them all, from her youngest sister, to her older brother. I even like her sibling's spouses. This means quite a bit, because we're all going to eventually wind up living in the same town.

Speaking of towns, OSC gave a favorable review of mine in his latest column. I'm appreciative-- although I admit with chagrin that I've never been to the restaurant he mentions. It's one of the newer restaurants, though it's housed in an older building. Of course "newer" in Fredericksburg, VA means "not yet 50 years old." Anyway, I'm glad he got to walk around our lovely downtown area. We've discussed Carl's Frozen Custard and I've forgiven him for not stopping by there. Mostly.

By the way:

quote:

If you want to go to Fredericksburg, the fastest route from Greensboro is to go up 29 and cut east at Culpeper. You save an hour and the scenery is far better than the solid walls of forest on I-85/I-95.

True dat, yo. Wish I would've thought of that route going to/from Bootcamp last year.

Coraline is a deeply weird and quasi-disturbing book. The OtherMother is just. . . creepy. I loved it.

[ October 26, 2004, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I'm re-reading (listening) to American Gods, and I'm struck by the fact that much of Gaiman's prose is :shocker: in 3rd person distant.

He also includes a lot of sexual scenes in AG that aren't really necessary.

Nontheless, it is a marvelous book. I prefer Neverwhere and Stardust, but as his current opus magnum, it's no slouch.

Junebug is going to be a hot-air balloon for Halloween; Super-K will be a fire-breathing dragon; Litebrite will be a princess. We have cardboard and exploded balloons all over the house from the construction of their costumes.

My wife is a genius.

When will end the day of chain restaurants? I'm not just talking about fast food chains; or even quality speedy food chains like Baja Fresh. I'm talking about places like Macaroni Grill, Carrabas, Bonefish Grill. . . big chains, with big prices on their food.

I like all of these chains fine, by the way. But I'm a little saddened that they aren't owned by someone in my area.

Edy's Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookie dough ice cream is delicious. So are Pepperidge Farms deluxe cookies-- mmmm, saucelito.

I'm not sure I spelled that right.

Tammy
Member # 4119

No breyerchic04 I don't care for him and it's not because of any instruments in his band.

Actually, I didn't realize that he had an accordion player in his band.

There is one Polka that I like. It's the one they play at weddings, something about a skinny man or a fat wife? [Dont Know] I went to a wedding last summer in Pittsburgh and the whole crowd, young and old, went nuts when they started playing this Polka.

edited because I can't spell!

[ October 27, 2004, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You won't like SUV's or vans or other gas hogs until after you have lots of kids....

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to like Carrabas - yummy.

However, both Carrabas and Outback are corporate chains, if I remember correctly.

They haven't gone franchise yet and I don't think they have any intentions of doing so.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

FG-- classify 'lots of kids.' I'm above average with 3.

We know that there will be more-- it's a matter of when.

Scott R
Member # 567

Yesterday, after a ridiculously long 2 hour commute home, I went and voted.

I didn't particularly want to, honestly. I can think of many better things to be doing, especially since my vote was going to be a protest vote. See, I don't feel I can trust either political party-- and that's what this election was about. Not the men, or their leadership capabilities, but what targeted ideal America wanted to suffer under for the next four years.

Neither party represents my views wholly-- they'd have to be crazy to, since my kind of politician doesn't win any votes, and CERTAINLY doesn't inspire financial backing. (I'm a social conservative-- bye bye young voters; and a fiscal liberal to a fault-- bye-bye everyone else)

So my vote would only be so much wasted paper. Why bother?

Because. . . because . . . because I could. So I went in, wrote down the names of J. Halvor Clegg and Miriam S. Clegg for pres and VP, respectively, voted the Republican rep for my congressional district (the challenger, an Independent, was a nutcase), voted yes for one constitutional amendment, and no for another. Neither amendment had anything to do with gay marriage, by the way.

Then I went home, made steak for my wife and I, and tacos for the children, and tried to avoid thinking about the fact that Writers of the Future is supposed to get back to me this week about whether or not I'll be published. This is a difficult thing for me to do. I'm practically paralyzed by the thought-- either thought, really. If I am, if I'm not. . . total paralysis. I can't write anything, though I've got a lot of short story plots all laid out in my head. I start on a story, and then sit there and look at the words I've written, and then I go back to the story being judged by WotF. I see a bazillion plot holes, and despair.

Ah, me. I'm a tortured writer. Gimme a movie deal.

Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
Then I went home, made steak for my wife and I, and tacos for the children, and tried to avoid thinking about the fact that Writers of the Future is supposed to get back to me this week about whether or not I'll be published.
What a good husband and daddy you are!

Good Luck!

Scott R
Member # 567

Hmm. I'm sure the cattle from which I made dinner have a completely different view of things.

But they're in my tummy now, so they don't matter.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
They still have ways of taking their revenge.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

:pats stomach:

Don't I know it.

But I'm not going to Pamplona any time soon, and I can always start working out.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Yep.

BTW: *another* Mormon entering (and hopefully winning) Writers of the Future? How cliched.

<-- jealous [and needs to turn that jealousy into creative output]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Eric James Stone, who was in my Bootcamp class, placed last year; he's a Mormon, and also served his mission in Italy.

[Smile]

He's also a completely neat guy.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I visit Eric's blog from time to time. He seems like a nice guy -- too nice if you ask me.

And he's like the seventeenth or eighteenth Mormon writer to place or do better in the contest.

So, you know, no pressure. [Big Grin]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I'm holding onto hope for you with WotF. Be sure to let us know ASAP!

I am also not a fan of SUV's, and I have four kids. They use too much gas and they are too hard to park. Give me a minivan instead. Plus, I don't find many SUV's roomy inside at all. They're uncomfortable.

I drove one for several weeks while my van was in the shop (it was a loaner from the dealer) and when I returned it the guy said I must be sorry to give it up. I told him he was crazy, I was thrilled to have my minivan back.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Belle, you can park a mini-van, but not an SUV?

I admit they do take up to much gas. I don't think the smaller ones take up to much road space.

Mine is a decent size. I don't have a problem with blind spots. It's an Explorer. I don't drive over anyone else, except idiot drivers, of course.

This little old lady in a huge Caddy was driving around 35 mph today on I-40.

Now that's dangerous!

[ November 03, 2004, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just getting used to parking a minivan, and I still HATE being tailed by a Hummer. Why in the world would somone want one of those monsters?
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They still have ways of taking their revenge.
Better hope they didn't eat the neural tissue of other bovines.

Buffalo is the way to go.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

This is my biography for the Writers of the Future contest.

I'm lame. I'm soooooo lame. . .

In the small town of Marquez, Texas, there is a cinderblock block house off a dirt road. Behind the garage, next to the garden, is a tangle of wild blackberry bushes. This was where Scott Roberts had his first paying job-- he and his brother picked and sold blackberries door to door. Since then, Mr. Roberts has held a variety of jobs-- from beekeeper to waiter, from talent scout to information security analyst. He is currently Lead Implementation Engineer with a computer security firm outside of Washington, D.C., and no, he does not own a Blackberry (har, har) device for keeping up with his email.

Scott Roberts was heavily influenced by the folk tales and mythologies of rural Texas, and continues his love and study of folklore and folk traditions. He lives in northern Virginia with his wife and four children.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I hear that Bob_Scopatz's future FIL is a wonder for the lame...
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I prefer my nurses to be the non-poseable kind.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] four [Smile] [Smile]

Good work.

[ December 30, 2004, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What kind of Father puts His children in harm's way just so they can learn something? As a father myself, I try to spare my children pain, and try to make their learning experiences pleasurable.
*raises hand*

I purposely allow my kids to do things that I know might result in them getting hurt and feeling pain. I specifically *don't* try to spare my children all pain.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of disposable nurses. Soon to be published authors must know *everything*. [Eek!]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

There's a difference in letting your child play soccer, knowing that she's not really cut out for the experience, and letting your little ones run out into a busy intersection. . .
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there is. I responded to what was said. If that's not what was meant, then... I don't know.

[ December 30, 2004, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Don't try to guess my intentions.

I'm inscrutable.

I am.

Really.

Stop laughing.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
*scrutes Scott R with panache

[Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
*sighs*

That Scott R is just SO dreamy.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

If you request a day off, and all your loved ones get sick that day, and you spend all day changing blankets and sheets and emptying buckets of vomit, you should automagically get another day off.

Just saying.

Scott R
Member # 567

What is the deal with Japanese Steak Houses and drunk people?

Its not enough that you have to sit around a hot grill with six other strangers, but four of those people are bound to be drinking alcohol of one type or another, and at least two of those drinking people do not handle their alcohol well. Making everyone else uncomfortable with their loud, inappropriate commentary on EVERYTHING!

Case in point: my wife and I went out to a Japanese Steak House this week, and were seated next to a group of folks who turned out to be teachers. Teachers all in the same department at a local elementary school.

Teachers who talked entirely too much, and revealed far to much about their students. And their coworkers.

Some of whom we know very, very well.

My wife and I look very young. We don't look like the type of people to already have three kids and one on the way. They may have thought we were college students. But no-- we're parents, and thank goodness Junebug does not go to their school. Because they were having it out with every child, administrator, and teacher not in the room.

We heard kids' first and last names mentioned along with disparaging remarks-- that was a doozy. And a little infuriating.

Two of the teachers were tipsy and boisterous.

Finally, I asked what school they worked at, under the cover of saying that my mom works in public education as well (she does-- as a teacher's aide). They laughed and asked if it was that easy to tell they were teachers (duh-- you mentioned students), and that they'd better watch what they said.

Oh, they didn't.

Is it normal for groups of teachers to get together and lambast students by name? In public?

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
obviously, they missed the ethics part of required teacher's courses - that's slimy.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awful, Scott. [Frown]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

It's not really that awful-- just annoying.

I hope Junebug's teacher doesn't talk bad about her outside of class. Or inside of class, for that matter. Or anywhere.

Um. . .not that there's anything bad to say about MY daughter.

[ February 18, 2005, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

Man, that would tick me off. That's pretty unethical behaviour.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it normal for groups of teachers to get together and lambast students by name? In public?
The teachers that gossip about their students (I've had more than a few start talking about other students to me when I was a student) are the same people that gossip about other churchgoers and other people in their neighborhood and coworkers and so forth. They don't seem to understand, though, that they're setting an example for their students, officially, whereas they're only an example to other adults if other adults choose to see them as examples.

This is one of the many, many factors that moved me to ask that I get homeschooled. [Smile]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.