FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think I’m going to run for state legislator

Author Topic: I think I’m going to run for state legislator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I just witnessed the debate for my particular county representative, Tippecanoe county Indiana (not that that matters). Man it was pathetic. Neither of them seemed to have any clue how to debate, they kept letting themselves get sidetracked and dodged questions, but not in a good way, in a way that was blatantly obvious they were dodging the question. I want to run for state legislator if this is the best we can put forward for local politics. I mean I’m not much at debate myself, but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t destroy both these candidates. [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
State legislators aren't allocated by county in either the house or senate in Indiana.

Also, your ability to take the office is essentially unrelated to your debating ability, but essentially solely related to your connections in the community and ability to raise money (which usually follows from the former, but is important enough to list by itself). A forceful personality can compensate for the first, and a good situation can aid you (getting the backing of the incumbent's party when the incumbent isn't running again), but those are pretty much essential, and it must be a very forceful personality.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yes, I know it's not county, but it's a lot easier to say "county" than "House district 46". [Razz]

And I don't much care if I win, I just want to show these... people ... up in the debate!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How old do you have to be to run?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
County-based or city-based representation in state legislatures is generally unconstitutional. The number of people per legislator has to be relatively equal in both houses.

I can't remember the case, but it's based on the equal protection. The Voting Rights Act gives the Justice Department authority to oversee districting in certain jurisdictions.

Today's legal snippet brought to you by the number 14.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*gets the #15 to beat up on #14 and force it to change its vote*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

If it makes you feel any better Fugu I'm voting for the Democratics canidate in this race. The Republican canidate was pathetic, every question went instantly to her incredibly bad budget control plan. I mean *immeaditly*, and it is a stupid plan!

Hobbes [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
*Gets the largest known Mersenne prime to kick #15 into orbit.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Besides which, she's going to be (assuming she get's elected) a freshman representitive and her entire campaign is based on getting a plan passed through the entire legistlator that puts a strangle-hold on the entire state budget? Pathetic. [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Alas, Noemon's question is most pertinent, not that I know the answer but I'd bet dollars to ... doorbells ( [Smile] ) that I'm under the limit.

Hobbes [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

I double checked in the Indiana Constitution, to be a rep requires being 21, to be a senator requires being 25. Perhaps more pertinently, there is a requirement that you have been a resident of the state for 2 years, and of the district being run for for 1.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Le sigh.

Hobbes [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
We had an 18-year-old kid from Missoula run for the state legislature. He was actually really sharp and with it, but made the mistake of being a Republican in the one city in Montana that doesn't elect Republicans.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a guy in college who was a state legislator. He described it as a great part time job. But he probably was over 21.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.