FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WTF is this?

Author Topic: WTF is this?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,987172,00.html?=rss

This story makes me not happy. In fact, I hope all parents who send their children to that place die painfully and spend an eternity (alright, only a very long time) suffernig.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is sickening, isn't it?
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
'The purpose of observation,' Kay offers, 'is to give the kids a chance to think. Hopefully, it's giving the kids a chance to reflect on the choices they've made.'
If I were put in "observation" my reflection would be, "I'm coming back and killing each and everyone of you." [Frown]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are we allowed to say "wtf" on hatrack?
You are in this case. You've got to be.

I am totally at a loss for words. [Cry]

[ October 18, 2004, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
WTF is this?

Fascism. Child abuse. Some sick bastard playing power games with children and making money off it. Parents abdicating responsibility for their children.

"She's so polite now"? She's also probably got PTSD. Good job, you sadistic b&^%.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that article before.
Things like that are frustrating and upsetting. Like a place in Canton MA that still uses shock to curb behaviour problems.
Somehow that seems wrong to me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Generally, I'd think that use of swear words should, in a civilized forum such as this one, be allowed -- and if someone is using them inappropriatly, then they are cracked down on.

Here, where kids are being tortured, I think "WTF" is an OK word [Frown] . Sigh, I appreciate that anger should not blind sensibility...but still...

This is DISGUSTING! [Cry]

[ October 18, 2004, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the article last time it was linked and was disgusted then. Something struck me upon reading the first paragraph this time, though:

quote:
When you have a teenager on the rampage, who are you going to turn to? In America, parents send their troubled offspring to Jamaica's Tranquility Bay - a 'behaviour-modification centre' which charges $40,000 a year to 'cure' them.
I've read other articles from the Observer/Guardian, generally linked to here at Hatrack. But I don't know if I get a sense from those few articles of what kind of news source this is. That paragraph I quoted above seems unbelievable sensationalistic, though. I don't know anybody who has sent their kids to Tranquility Bay, and I figure I've worked with well over 1200 teenagers over the last decade. Do you? This opening seems to imply that it's unbelievable common.

Is this typical fo this source, or just a poor phrasing?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The sad thing is, children with mental disabilities (and adults for that matter) don't even have to be shipped overseas to exeprience far worse treatment:

The types of aversive procedures used on persons with disabilities include, but are not limited to:
  • Electric shock applied to the body (e.g. arm, leg, or hand) for the purpose of discouraging the specific behavior it follows by causing pain [not to be confused with electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) used to treat severe depression; a procedure that is also subject to misuse]
  • Extremely loud white noise or other auditory stimuli
  • Forced exercise
  • Shaving cream to the mouth
  • Lemon juice, vinegar, or jalapeno pepper to the mouth
  • Water spray to the face
  • Placement in a tub of cold water or cold showers
  • Placement in a small room, closet, or box
  • Slapping or pinching with hand or implement
  • Pulling the hair
  • Ammonia capsule to the nose
  • Blindfolding or other forms of visual blocking
  • Placement in a dark isolated box or other methods of prolonged physical isolation
  • Ice to the cheeks or chin
  • Teeth brushed or face washed with caustic solutions
  • Prolonged restraint through manual or mechanical techniques (e.g. face-down four- or five-point restraint using mechanical tie-downs or several staff applying physical pressure)
  • Withholding of multiple meals/denial of adequate nutrition

[ October 18, 2004, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The story sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't place it.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Dag, I'm not really sure where that list comes from. Is it from the link?
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a repost from a little over a year ago. See Anti-Chris's link.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Try the link again. I edited it almost immediately, but you may have clicked it before that.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. That's just sick.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

The things some people come up with... sometimes I am ashamed to call myself of a member of the human race. That's revolting.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lindsay Cohen is nearly 19. A straight-A high-school graduate, she was heading for Harvard until an unsuitable choice of boyfriend had her sent here at the age of 17.
WTF is definately appropriate for this. These parents are monsters!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. His business is expanding, and he is turning his attention to the UK, for he believes there is a large untapped market of British parents who would ship their children straight off to Jamaica if only they knew about Tranquility.
That is what these kids are: an untapped market. When you are making upwards $40,000 a year, there is no motivation for health. The methods are more in line with a cult then a correctional facility.

I am not big fan of government, but I can tell you I believe that teenage facilities need to be in government control/surveillance. Kids in private businesses have no advocates. At a state facility, every "take-down" restraint needs to have as many witnesses as possible and be well documented. There is legal accountability.

If we can prosecute people for going over seas for child sex, why can't the government step in and stop child abuse of its own citizens overseas?

11-17 years old? Words fail me. Of course Utah has its fair share of private group homes that are only marginally better.

[ October 19, 2004, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Rarely do I get physically ill after reading something.

I'm going to go vomit now.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If we can prosecute people for going over seas for child sex,
Really? How does this work? If it's not illegal over there, how can we prosecute them for doing something that's not illegal?

Just curious.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's their website: http://www.tranquilitybay.org

I can't help but feel queasy when looking at the various photos of the "Fun Day."

[Angst]

This thing is messed up! It definitely warrants a WTF. I feel like hitting something!

[Mad]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The U.S. has several "Travel for the purpose of..." criminal statutes, MPH. They stem from the Federal government's ability to regulate interstate and international travel. There has to be some nexus to the U.S., in this case citizenship or travel from the U.S.

Here's the applicable sex w/ minors law:

quote:
18 USCS § 2423. Transportation of minors

(c) Engaging in illicit sexual conduct in foreign places. Any United States citizen or alien admitted for permanent residence who travels in foreign commerce, and engages in any illicit sexual conduct with another person shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.

(f) Definition. As used in this section, the term "illicit sexual conduct" means (1) a sexual act (as defined in section 2246) with a person under 18 years of age that would be in violation of chapter 109A [18 USCS §§ 2241 et seq.] if the sexual act occurred in the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States; or (2) any commercial sex act (as defined in section 1591) with a person under 18 years of age.

The prohibitied act is travelling in foreign commerce and engaging in sex with a minor.

Here, it would have to be transporting of a minor with intent to imprison or something like that. It's doable legally, if not politically.

Dagonee

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read the appreciation letters sent to this place? Holy cow!
quote:
I just want to say thank you. You all have taken on a very tough job. I appreciate all of the guiding and coaching that you are giving my beautiful daughter. Thank you so much for helping her to see what a strong, special and wonderful young lady she is!
4's to all of you!

Lady, you could have done that yourself if you'd TRIED!!! MY GOODNESS!
Man, I can just immagine what all the parents who send their kids to this are thinking. "I have a career, I don't have time to mess with this one child. I need someone to do all this 'parenting' stuff for me. I know, I'll spend what (probably) ammounts to a fifth of my yearly income to have my child kidnapped and taken to Jamaica. I loved Jamaica, my child will love it." Wow.

Edit: [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

[ October 19, 2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say this reflects more on the parents than the kids....

I wonder what the result of the experience is.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
And all their photos are from one day. One day in 365.

The information that you need is either "coming soon" or missing.

[Cry]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

I think we need something like this for the parents. I say if the kids have to go through it, so should the parents. Kidnap THEM and do all this stuff to THEM and see what happens.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Some quotes from this thread:
quote:
I hope all parents who send their children to that place die painfully and spend an eternity (alright, only a very long time) suffernig.

quote:
Parents abdicating responsibility for their children.

quote:
Good job, you sadistic b&^%.

quote:
These parents are monsters!

Is there any indication that the parents know what is happening? If not, then they are guilty of poor judgment, not sadism, being a monster, being a bitch, abdicating responsibility, or anything worthy of the death penalty.
quote:
Lady, you could have done that yourself if you'd TRIED!!

quote:
I have a career, I don't have time to mess with this one child. I need someone to do all this 'parenting' stuff for me.

Don't you think it's possible that at least some of the parents did try, and were at the end of their rope when they heard of a place that would be able to accomplish what they were unable to?

I also wonder about bias of this report when he says things like "There is more than a touch of the Jerry Springer guest about his looks" which is obviously insulting and judgmental, and "he carries himself like a man who has learnt to expect the worst, and is seldom disappointed" which communicates absolutely no information except that the writer has disdain for this man, and so should the reader.

[ October 19, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Is there any indication that the parents know what is happening? If not, then they are guilty of poor judgment, not sadism, being a monster, being a bitch, abdicating responsibility, or anything worthy of the death penalty.
The report indicates that many children are sent in handcuffs to the place. Second, it's a parent's job to know, especially if they are sending their child to a place of confinement. Third, there's serious indication that the children are being disbelieved by their parents when they attempt to tell. Fourth, the details as published to parents would qualify as sadism in my opinion.

No, my sympathy is for the children, and the people near those children when they snap.

Dagonee

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dagonee for looking up the specific laws; I had heard about the "traveling to other countries" law, but I was not sure of the exact legal language.

As far as the parents are concerned....
I don't know the parents. I don't know the kids. I don't know the situation. I will say that I think it is very irresponsible, unloving, or selfish to turn 49% of your parental rights to an organization that has no third party advocate for your child and has a stated purpose of making money off of your child.

Lets take Utah as an example: Some private youth homes make $5,000 per MONTH off of EACH child in their care. With that kind of money, what is the motivation to create a healthy relationship with the child?

These programs serve as punishment for out-of-control behavior, and they distort appropriate boundaries in relationships. The punishment may be justified (I bet most of the time it isn't), but the distorted boundaries with the relationship to authority can't be healthy in the long run.

Here is a link on warning behavior. Take it with a grain of salt; this site has a collection of identified cults, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in ranked in them. I don’t believe the LDS church is a cult. The content is thought provoking.

http://www.rickross.com/warningsigns.html
  • Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.
  • No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.
  • Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.
  • The group/leader is always right.
  • A safe group/leader will answer your questions without becoming judgmental and punitive.
  • A safe group/leader is often democratic, sharing decision making and encouraging accountability and oversight.
  • A safe group/leader will encourage family communication, community interaction and existing friendships and not feel threatened.
  • A safe group/leader will recognize reasonable boundaries and limitations when dealing with others.
  • A safe group/leader will encourage critical thinking, individual autonomy and feelings of self-esteem.
  • A safe group/leader will admit failings and mistakes and accept constructive criticism and advice.
This list includes warning signs I think the Tranquility Bay exhibits.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Found this forum about similar programs...

http://www.voy.com/58570/

Explicit language.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The Stepford Children.

Intervention taken to a new and dangerous level.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

I did a little digging on your source, lem. While the info is interesting, the guy who runs the site is a little more...
This is interesting

Just thought I'd let you know about that to help you figure out why they said The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was a cult. [Smile]

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
This is sick, really sick. We couldn't treat an adult convict in that way, the ACLU would raise a hue and cry. [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

(edit for spelling)

[ October 19, 2004, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: dread pirate romany ]

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add to Dagonee's point about prosecuting nationals for crimes committed overseas...

Criminal jurisdiction (at international law) can rest on where a crime was committed, the nationality of the victim and the nationality of the perpetrator.

Every country is entitled to make (and enforce) laws punishing crimes committed in their territory (no matter who commits them) and crimes committed against/by their nationals (no matter where they are committed).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yep. That's how Spain indicted Pinochet - he (edit: allegedly) ordered the killing of some Spanish nationals.

Dagonee

[ October 19, 2004, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The sad thing is, children with mental disabilities (and adults for that matter) don't even have to be shipped overseas to exeprience far worse treatment:

http://www.wtrf.com/home/headlines/1081371.html

Was going to make a thread about it, but now seems like a good time to bring it up. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.