FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *wail* It looks like me, but it's not!

Author Topic: *wail* It looks like me, but it's not!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There's another forum that I frequent, where I am not the only Rivka. Now, this is not the first time this has happened to me -- in high school I was one of four in my class, and "rivka" was taken long before I signed up for AIM.

So, not a big deal. I just signed up as "rivkagila," just as I did on AIM and various other places that already had a Rivka.

But, when this Rivka (who goes by "Rivka" not "rivka") posts, I keep thinking her posts are mine. And they just aren't, in so many ways!

*severe SN discordance*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
you just confused the crap out of me.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Imagine being in my shoes!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is this? [Wink]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((rivka))) *pat pat* It'll be ok.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your feet are bigger than mine.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*cries*

My identity is being questioned, and my feet called over-large! *sniffle*

Thanks, Derrell! I knew I could count on you. [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

I never said you had overly large feet. They're just bigger than mine.

Since you're about six inches taller.

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
*Hands a tissue to someone who says they are rivka*

*Ducks flying objects*

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay. I've had to change my name a couple times because people kept taking it. At least, that's what i TELL people. The real reason is that I've got a hit out on me...Should I have said that?
<BANG!>

Man, I should quit hitting tables like that.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
One Rivka is scary enough!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was pretty shocked to find another Noemon posting at some other forum. Luckily it isn't one I've felt any desire to visit, but still, it was odd.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I never said you had overly large feet.
No, but you implied it. *sniffle*
quote:
Since you're about six inches taller.
[Roll Eyes] Three inches, unless you're way shrimpier than I remember.

quote:
One Rivka is scary enough!
Um . . . thanks?
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not the only xnera lurking about the Internet. Sometimes this bothers me, as I like to think that I am unique. But then the logical part of my brain reminds me that there are a large number of Karens in the world, and it would make sense that there would be at least one other Karen out there sufficiently geeky enough to come up with the same username. Still throws me everytime I stumble across it, though. I once spent ten minutes trying to recall when I had signed up and posted on a Star Wars message board before I realised that it wasn't me.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
There is (or was) actually a ‘dana’ registered on Hatrack. She (or he) only had one post at the time I checked, and the very odd thing is it was a post asking where to find a particular OSC short story that I had read long before I was an OSC fan. And it was from long before I registered. I wondered for a bit if I had registered earlier and asked the question and then forgot about it, but the profile didn’t sound like me. (Unless I lied about my occupation. It said ‘engineer’ and I was an engineering student for three years, although not at the time that username was registered.)

But none of the responses sounded at all familiar, and I really don’t think I would have done that, or forgot about it if I did. But I still wonder, sometimes . . .

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of people here who refer to both Bob Scopatz and myself as Bob, which occasionally causes me some confusion. Not so much since I realized that if they're saying nice things they're talking about him [Smile] I hardly ever post in the same threads anymore though, so it's not so much of a problem.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um . . . thanks?
No problem. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never found another Porteiro, but I was pretty surprised to find that the name was taken on AIM.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. 8/10 of the first page google hits for "suneun" are me.

4 out of the next 10 are mine as well.

[ October 18, 2004, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: dabbler ]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to realize that about half of the people I thought were newbies are just oldbies with new names. So Suneun = dabbler? Obviously I missed the memo.

*feels out of the loop*

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
*Steals eyelash from rivka.*

*Has it analyzed.*

It came back valid, so you must be you.

I watched Gataca last night.

I've seen Amka before as well. It is usually an arabic male. But I've never seen AmkaProblemka.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone: Heh. Yeah, it's confusing I admit. I have this alternate screen name for any public machines as well as my laptop. I just never bothered to change the Suneun password from the autogenerate so it's a pain to find again.

Besides, dabbler is a good description of me.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

rivka, I tend to be shorter than people think.

jexx has met me many many times. and still insists I'm taller than she is.

we're the same height. o_O

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
So check this out...there's a cartoon character in a women's magazine in New Zealand with my name. [Smile] http://www.cecily.co.nz/ She looks kind of disgruntled most of the time.

[edit]= This is even more hilarious, if not a little risque!! http://costume.dm.net/doll/# You can put clothes on me in true Elizabethian style. If you try to put too much on, she'll come back at you with funny little comments. [Big Grin] Who knew I was so funny??

[ October 18, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep seeing posts addressing Kat, and they aren't to me. Katarain seems like a very nice person and we've haven't interacted yet, but we have the same name. [Frown]

Maybe I'll start going by Kat T.G.

--Kat T.G.

Edit: Verb, Katie! Include the verb!!

[ October 18, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* I simply refer to the other Kat as NotKat.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I thought I'd make the distinction by referring to you as "kat" and her at "Kat", kat, but somehow this morning I found myself thinking of you as "Katie" rather than "kat" for some reason. I mean, I know people call you that, but *I* never have, until today.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
*checks to see if it is the real rivka*

Who did Perry White always tell stories about?

(ok not always)

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* Elvis, Marek!

So, do I pass? [Wink]

And watch with the eyelash yanking, please, folks! I wondered why my eye had been slightly irritated all day.

Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, you pass. [Hat]
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked to use the nick "Sauron", when I first went online, 8 years ago. But, you know...there are a LOT of Saurons out there (and that was BEFORE the movies!) So...now I just sign Eduardo_Sauron wherever I go. [Smile]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll always know rivka. [Smile]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Sarah Sasse who was a college golfer now turned pro. Sometimes she's referred to as "Sara Sasse." That is the only other Sara Sasse I've run into on the net.

She's cute, but man, I haven't looked that young in decades.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
She's cute, but man, I haven't looked that young in decades.
Good grief, she looks like a 14-year-old!

quote:
I think I'll always know rivka. [Smile]
*feels warm and fuzzy*
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I keep seeing posts addressing Kat, and they aren't to me. Katarain seems like a very nice person and we've haven't interacted yet, but we have the same name.
Meep! I just saw this. Sorry Katharina. It could be worse, I suppose. Katarain is actually a variant of Katarina, which I often use. That would get really, really confusing!

You were here first, so I expect people to keep on calling you Kat. They can call me Kata, or Rain, if they wanna get really creative. [Smile] Lots of people misspell my name and call me Katarin. And there's always Katarain. [Smile]

I've already got a friend who calls me Kata. That seems like it would work. I'll try to spread it around. [Smile] Feel free to get on to people who call me Kat if I don't do it first. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've already got a friend who calls me Kata
I have a character called Kata. Katariya. [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a second cousin with the exact same name as me. Well I guess our middle names are different, but initials are the same. Sarah M. Townsend. That can get really confusing at family reunions. She's 20, I'm 18. (our dad's are cousins, grew up together, we're named after the same relative way back)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh gosh, I don't mind. I'm actually looking forward to this opportunity to see if I can really get people to call me Kat T.G.

Is Katarina your real name? Where did you get it? I personally love it. *grin*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I love Katarina too. [Smile] I actually got it from Days of Our Lives! If you were a fan, you remember when Bo was in love with Carly, whose real name turned out to be Katarina. I named my cat Katarina, and then when I went online (years and years ago now) I borrowed the name for myself.

Most people spell it Katerina, so the Katarina spelling makes it more unique (and pretty, I think).

My real name happens to be taken from Days of Our Lives, too... [Smile] But that was my mother's doing. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If you were a fan, you remember when Bo was in love with Carly, whose real name turned out to be Katarina

Oh I so liked Bo & Carly together! I haven't watched in ages so I've really lost track of who's there anymore. Last I saw Bo was trying to get back together with Hope, Marlena was with John and Roman at the same time, Sami was doing everything she could to mess up Carrie and Austin. Gotta be close to ten years now.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Wow. You've actually been not watching long enough that things have changed! Right now, half of the population is trapped on an island after getting sent there after one of the Dimeras faked their deaths, or they're there because they were following clues to find their not-so-dead loved ones.

I catch it about once every 2 or 3 weeks. It's amazing how well I can keep up with it with that sort of viewing schedule. [Smile]

One thing is totally consistent about that show... the storylines have sucked for years! [Smile]

-Katarain

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow. You've actually been not watching long enough that things have changed! Right now, half of the population is trapped on an island after getting sent there after one of the Dimeras faked their deaths, or they're there because they were following clues to find their not-so-dead loved ones.

Yeah, I've heard about the serial murderer storyline. I don't have enough interest to deal with setting the VCR and making sure I'm set for the right channel and everything else to watch at night, though. LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.