FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » KOL hits the quasi-bigtime

Author Topic: KOL hits the quasi-bigtime
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
The thread title is the exact title of the email my coworker sent to me with a link to this article:

Dare you fight the possessed tomatoes?

quote:
Dare you fight the possessed tomatoes?
Published: October 1, 2004, 4:00 AM PDT
By John Borland
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

It was like any other afternoon until the possessed can of tomatoes attacked.

Luckily, a few good whacks with a saucepan quieted it right down, and the young sauceror was able to go on with his adventures in the "Kingdom of Loathing."

So goes a typical moment in a quirky online game that has become an object of cultish adoration among the 130,000-plus people who play it. With graphics drawn in static, stick-figure scribbles, it's a throwback to the early days of computer gaming, and about as far from the high-resolution worlds of "Doom 3" or "EverQuest" as it's possible to be.

What's new:
Quirky, stick-figure "Kingdom of Loathing" has become an object of cultish adoration among the 130,000-plus people who play it.
Bottom line:
"Kingdom of Loathing" shows continued promise of independent game-writing, even as professional game development becomes mired in multibillion-dollar budgets and strings of sequels.

And that, say many of "Kingdom of Loathing's" dedicated denizens, is the point.

"The inspired simplicity of the stick figures and limited playing time each day hooked me the first day, (and) I haven't logged on to 'EverQuest' since," Phil Showalter, a Memphis, Tenn., software developer, wrote in an e-mail interview. "KoL takes about an hour a day, and that's it until tomorrow, which is perfect with an enjoyable cup of coffee in the morning. Not to mention it's free."

The game, now a year and a half old, is one of the brightest--and weirdest--lights of the independent game development world. As "The Blair Witch Project" or "El Mariachi" did for independent film, it is showing that a project with a shoestring budget still has room to flourish, even as professional game development becomes mired in multibillion-dollar budgets and strings of sequels.

[ October 01, 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know when KOL will do the global reset?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Jick - and he's not telling.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine it would be until after he's done with the last quest, though.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped playing a while ago, but I plan on playing again when the reset happens.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what y'all are talking about.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
That's okay. Go back to sleep.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it's 130,000-plus--I bet everyone *coughincludingmecough* have 3+ names on it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Sleep]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.