FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Debate #1 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Debate #1
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
So the debate's going to start here in a little while. Who's watching it? Any comments? Anybody not going to watch it? Either of them impress you? Anybody blow it?

'Sup?

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am going to watch part of it at least. It starts at 9 EST, and I have plans for 10, but I would like to see at least some of it.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe coverage starts at 7 pm CST, so that would be 8 pm EST.

I'm going to wait to hear about it for the next week.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Serious Bob? I was kind of thinking this would be the first piece of serious election related stuff I'd actually pay attention to. Besides the jib jab video.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll watch some of it
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Bipartisan News Conference #1.... I kinda dislike the fact that they can't even talk to eachother.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll watch it, even though it is almost inconceivable that I will see anything in it that will change my mind.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I'm with you, Kirk. I kind of hope they break format and start going at each other. I think Kerry would have to be the one to jump the tracks. The rule is very safe for Bush and it's his camp's idea. I hope if Kerry goes for it, though, Bush will follow.

I'm not too optimistic, though.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, is "unmercifully" a word...
--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Kerry missed a response. He should have said that "I authorized you to make the decision based on faulty and misleading information that you provided. I did not endorse your decision, I endorsed your authority to make it. Mr. President, we now know you made the wrong decision, and it is your responsibility. You cannot offload the responsibility onto me."
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I hate to say this, but judging on style alone I have to give the advantage to Kerry. The debate is 1/3 over. I hope Bush gets his stride soon. He needs to maybe make a joke here somewhere.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush is extremely flustered. Kerry isn't, he's strong, which is what people like about Bush. Right now, advantage Kerry. He did miss that response though, and my dad and I were talking about it before the debate. We said his response should have been, essentially, "If you had not intentionally misled the american people and congress, then you would not have been authorized to use force."
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Ooh, Bush just responded to a Kerry's response, then steamrolled past Lehrer's objection so Lehrer had to give in. Extensions are supposed to be solely at the discretion of the moderator. The moderators from now on aren't going to give him any slack if he's not respecting the authority he agreed to give him.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Are they going to talk about any foreign policy outside of Iraq and Afghanistan? What about N. Korea? What about illegal immigrants?
fugu13
Member # 2859

wtf? two responses just disappeared, I think . . .

and now they're back. whatever.

[ September 30, 2004, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Speed
Member # 5162

Kerry's dealt with his long-windedness, but it appears that Bush has the opposite problem. He's so good at the soundbite responses he gets 45 seconds into his responses and runs out of things to say. He keeps talking anyway. I wonder if he should just stop talking when he's done.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, that's great. Kerry said when we went in we only had GB and Australia, not much of a coalition. Bush said "You forgot Poland!" Made him look very small, insisting we actually had one more ally as if that meant a large coalition. Also, he's wrong. Poland was not with us when we went into Iraq (they came later), and they are pulling out now.
Speed
Member # 5162

Okay, he finally had to resort to the flip-flop argument. He should have known that would be an easy lob to Kerry.
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the "Saddam - I mean, Osama bin Laden" slip.
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

I think that I have yet to hear him make a complete, articulate sentence tonight.
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Holy cow, it sounds like Bush is re-enacting the finale to Farenheit 911.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Neither one is doing all that well I would say, but I think Bush is doing worse. He needs to quit saying the same few lines over and over again.

I mean, It's exactly what I expected, we aren't going to see anything new in these debates, but a boy can dream...

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Nooooo! Not the prayer card!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
President Bush seems to be lost sometimes. Like he's trying to remember the answer he was supposed to use if this came up.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I love just muting it and watching their hand gestures.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Its interesting the President admits the war in Iraq is not yet won.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yes, we prayed and cried.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

We would rue the day!
Icarus
Member # 3162

Looking at this as a competition, which seems to be what we are doing, I would have to say that neither candidate is doing well. We certainly had better speakers in the 80s debates.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Something's extremely wrong in politics when you miss Ross Perot.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
/snark mode on

"...We would rue the day. _Believe_ me."

Pretty please.

/snark off

I think Bush looks okay at times, but his whole attempt to paint Kerry as a troop demoralizer don't seem effective to me. I think the looking at the camera at the end of my time shtick is both fake and brilliant; it does help create an aura of strength.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Icarus...

There you go again.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Why does nobody point out that inspections *did* work?
Icarus
Member # 3162

Bob: [ROFL]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Apparently...since no WMD were found and we knew he DID have them because we sold them to him.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
rarely is that pointed out...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I know Chris Bridges, Bob, and you, sir, are no Chris Bridges.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

OUch! Score one for Kerry -- When Kennedy offered to show photos of Cuba's missiles, DeGaulle waved him off and said the word of the President of the US was enough for him!!! Then -- can anyone imagine that happening today?

ha!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Icarus! [ROFL]

I know you know Chris Bridges, and Chris Bridges knows that I know that you know Chris Bridges, and you know that I know taht Chris Bridges is no um...

Weapons of Mass Destruction. Look!!!

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I know I am supremely biased, but I think Kerry is actually impressing me; he is concisely clarifying his "flip-flops", in ways similar to what I thought he meant. I guess I had lower expectations about Kerry's performance; I really thought Kerry would be mediocre and muddled (more so than he seems to be now).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

NUKE-YOU-LER!!!

Okay, we all have to chug our drinks now.

Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody like how the Iraqi insurgents fight "fociferoulsy"

[ September 30, 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Ryan Hart ]

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

You know, Bush's main advantage on Kerry in a debate is that he's got a much better sense of humor. Kerry's a more literate-sounding speaker, but it was said that Bush could win the debate with a bit of the funny. He's not cracked a smile the whole debate. It's really hurting him.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwerry has missed one or two chances to slam Bush...but he is looking like a bigger man for passing on the easy "You are no Kennedy" line because of it, I think.

Bush looks smaller on TV that I have ever seen him, and is not at his best.

And even at his best, he would be losing this one.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

HE FINALLY MADE A JOKE!!!! Hooray for the cracking of the stone face.
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the attempts to make them look equal height by putting the camera lower on Bush than on Kerry. I know it's not an uncommon practice or anything, but it's the sort of thing that always amuses me. In a "I can't believe you think I'm so dumb I won't notice that twice as much of Bush's podium is showing" kind of way. [Roll Eyes]

I think I'd like Bush more (Okay, I still would dislike him intensely, but I'd have a teeeeeensy bit less dislike) if he was just like "Look at me! I'm short!"

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Kerry SO does not know what to do when Bush praises or teases him.
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
"i won't hold it against him that he went to Yale"

[Confused] [Confused]

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

"Mexed Missages!"
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
HE FINALLY MADE A JOKE!!!! Hooray for the cracking of the stone face.
Stone face? He's been smirking during at least half of the debate.

edit: added the quote. i should have known this would be several posts down from the one i was replying to.

[ September 30, 2004, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: RRR ]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.