FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Everwood

Author Topic: Everwood
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
OUt of curiosity, does anyone else watch this show?
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the western show where everyone says the "F" word alot on HBO?

Sorry, I don't have cable, but I have seen clips.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, no, that's Deadwood.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the one that is filmed downtown Ogden, Utah....
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, if it's on UPN I don't get that channel where I am. Signal's too weak.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
It's on the WB.

I used to watch it, but not having a TV now makes it much harder to keep up with shows. I was planning on trying to this season, but after reading about the premiere on televisionwihtoutpity.com, I decided that it's not worth the effort.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched some episodes, but lost interest after a while.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
CStroman, I'm insulted [Wink]
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched a couple of episodes and I think that it is probably one of the worst shows on television. I can stand a great deal of immorality on tv, for example, I really enjoy Nip Tuck despite the horrendousness of what's displayed. The difference is that Nip Tuck doesn't try and moralize. They never try and say that what they're doing is ok; in fact, what they're doing is usually portrayed as being wrong. But on Everwood, immorality is cherished and presented as being acceptable and good. I was flipping around a few months ago, and I saw the main character, who typically teaches the moral lessons, advocating that his son's ex-girlfriend get an abortion. This show is disgusting.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked everwood the first season, it was fairly well written, most of the concepts seemed normal, the kids were going through similar things to what I was going through, last season though when Ephram lost his virginity with the babysitter, and it just kept getting worse from there, to get ratings which really didn't seem to be like a good thing to do. I doubt I will be watching it this season. I saw the premeir and it wasn't any better.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched both the first and second seasons with my Mom and Sister. We enjoyed them. I won't be watching this seasons, as I lack a TV and I am way to busy, but I am sure they will.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, Everwood has dealt with such topics as abortion, infidelity, teenage sex, drug use, religion and other hot topics better than any other show on television that I can think of.

I'm not saying that I always agree with the decisions the characters make or the way certain things are dramatized -- but it's a step above most family dramas/soaps.

That said -- I've lost interest in the show and agree that it breyerchic that starting with the whole narrative thread with Ephram's girlfriend Madison, it became less interesting and more melodramatic just to be melodramatic.

I think that's the problem with the way American TV shows feel the need [i.e. it's all about the money] to drag out season after season. Everwood would have been perfect as a 50-episode show that featured mainly Dr. Brown getting over the loss of his wife, Colin's medical problems and how both of those affect Ephram and Aimee's relationship.

Plus: Delia (the younger sister) seems to be featured less and less on the show -- and she's one of the best things about it.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was flipping around a few months ago, and I saw the main character, who typically teaches the moral lessons, advocating that his son's ex-girlfriend get an abortion. This show is disgusting.

That show (last season's finale) basically is what ended the show for me.

I don't know how it makes the show disgusting, though. Just as often as the show has had Dr Brown (the father) as the one who teaches the moral lessons, it's had him as the student. Actually, I would say Dr Brown has been on the recieving end more often than not. Just because he made this horrendous decision (about what truly is not a good situation), does not mean the show endorses or is advocating for the decision. It's a safe bet that he will have to pay for it bigtime sometime in the four or five episodes.

quote:
I think that's the problem with the way American TV shows feel the need [i.e. it's all about the money] to drag out season after season. Everwood would have been perfect as a 50-episode show that featured mainly Dr. Brown getting over the loss of his wife, Colin's medical problems and how both of those affect Ephram and Aimee's relationship.

I completely agree with you on this. I think a lot of shows with great premises, characters, and even plots try to continue after the original material is exhausted, and so have to make up new usually soap opera-type storylines to keep people watching the same characters. Also known as the "jump the shark" syndrome.

[ September 23, 2004, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Miro ]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.