FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help from the Hatrack Seamstresses!

Author Topic: Help from the Hatrack Seamstresses!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been dying to learn how to sew for some time. I have a miniature sewing machine, though not a full real one, but it works. I don't know the first thing about sewing. Does anyone have any tips, either on how to sew, or where I can go, or what book to buy, in order to learn?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
You might ask at a local fabric store if there are any classes. I took a class and ended up sewing a dress from a Gunne Sax pattern. I did take Home Ec in high school, so I had some experience.

You could also ask around at church or somewhere else you hang out if anyone knows someone who sews a lot. They may be willing to teach you or at least give you some pointers.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I love to hear people say they want to learn to sew!

It depends on what you know right now, and what you want to learn to sew as to where I would send you to take lessons.

If you need to learn general machine use and control, I strongly suggest you pull out your instruction manual, a spool of thread, and some fabric scraps and just go through the manual. Try everything on your machine to get comfortable using it.

If you can find a fabric store that isn't a chain store in your area (not Jo'anns, Hancocks, or Hobby Lobby), you will find excellent service, and experienced seamstresses. They will be more than happy to help you and they usually offer classes. Now beware- some stores only offer classes for the type of machine they sell, but ask as most keep business cards of sewing teachers behind the counter.

Finally, my favorite place for sewing advice: quilt stores. Quilters are a different breed of sewers and very willing to help and share experience. Go in, talk to them, you'll learn a lot just from visiting one of their stores.

Where do you live? I have an index of sewing/quiling shops across the US. I can look up shops in your area as most are small independant stores that usually don't list in the yellow pages.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
One more thing-

reference books- some are technical and very project specific, but the best I've ever used (and the only "sewing" book I own) is the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. It's excellent, gives detailed instructions on how to do anything from threading a machine to putting in a zipper, to alterations, all you ever needed to know is there. [Smile]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Wow, Coccinelle, you're amazing, thank you!

I know nothing. Literally nothing. I tried to thread my machine when I got it, and failed miserably... I was talking to breyerchic online at the time, and she was trying to guide me through it, but since my machine is smaller and not the standard sewing machine, we had some difficulties.

But all your suggestions are really awesome! Generally, I live in Bloomington, IN... thanks for all the advice! I'll look into getting the book, and getting started! [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Reader's Digest has a Complete Guide to Sewing? Oh, I must get it! I have their Complete Guide to Needlepoint, and it's excellent.

One of the first purchases I made when I moved into my condo was a nice sewing machine. I've always loved the idea of sewing my own clothes and stuff. I finally pulled it out last year to try to make a dress, but failed miserably. [Frown] It was the neckline, really -- not used to the curves.

I want to try again, though! This time, it'll be a skirt. I'm trying to reproduce my favorite floral skirt (the one I've worn to Wenchcon and Kamacon). It's a simple four-panel, with mostly straight lines, so it should be easier. The problem has been finding the time and having a clean enough kitchen table. Maybe next week, as I will be cleaning my house for my party this weekend.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Skirts are generally easier to do than dresses or tops and dresses are I'm not a bad seamstress, but a tailored shirt is one of the hardest things in the world to sew. Don't make it a first project that's for sure.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, experimenting is the best way to learn. So, I'd suggest buying some super cheap fabric so you can experiment. Read through your manual to become familiar with your machine. Look for a sewing class in your area, or a friend who knows how to sew, to help you learn more.

When I was young, my mom taught me the basics of sewing, and I've been sewing since then. Last year, for Christmas, I made everyone fleece blankets - super easy, cheap, quick (each one took me about half an hour to do), and everyone was very impressed. Lately, the sewing I've been doing is alterations to my clothing (taking things in, letting hems out, changing seaming, adding belt loops, etc.). A month or two ago I bought myself a nice sewing machine - in anticipation of having a rooom in our new house where I can leave my sewing machine all set up! [Big Grin]

[ September 23, 2004, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
some difficulties? I still have nightmares about that night, but my mom learned how to IM. Maybe next summer you should look in to one of the classes at Joanne Fabric here, they are pretty good. I would reccomend trying skirts too, like the icky orchestra ones, those are easy. I have some beginning 4-H instructions, that are general and suitable for third graders with no experience, I'll copy them and get them to you sometime.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I got beat to the quilt store recommendation! They are always my favorite place for sewing advice.

One thing I found that helped my daughter, was to take apart old clothing at the seams. The pieces of the patterns will look strange to you, but if you dismantle a shirt or two, and lay out the parts you'll get a better idea of how it all fits together. You'll be able to visualize the process and the final product when working with pattern pieces better.

Then, buy some cheap patterns and practice! There are some simplicity patterns, I think that say they are 2-hour patterns or 1-hour patterns. Quick, simple designs with no darts or pleats. That will get your feet wet. Do not do what I did and jump into sewing a complicated costume for a play my daughter was in! I got so discouraged I nearly quit. The darn thing had several darts and called for French seams on sheer sleeves.

Once I started over again with simple skirts and shorts, I got to where I loved it!

I actually don't do tailored shirts at all. If I need a shirt for an outfit I either buy it premade, or buy it RTD (ready-to-dye) and dye it the color I need.

[ September 23, 2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does it have to be seamstress? Are all people that seam female?? What if I seam? Am I a seamstrer then? HMMMM???

discrimination!

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

You can be a sewer. Alright?

Thanks for the advice everyone... I'll look into that as soon as I'm not hanging out with rivka. [Big Grin]

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

Raia- What is the brand of your sewing machine? I have instruction sheets for operating most machine types.

edit: I'll look up Bloomington when I get home this evening and post any stores in the area

[ September 23, 2004, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Coccinelle ]

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sew through different TYPES of fabric and learn how you need to set your machine to sew through them. The machine feeds the fabric through itself, so it is important to learn how to guide the fabric. Sewing in a straight line isn't as easy as you think it should be. [Smile]

Karen, I also made a terrible dress. It looked like a gunny sack and I believe it was even a beginner pattern. *laugh* I am proud of managing my sheer curtains, though. Taught me quite a bit. They're far from perfect, but look very nice. Which brings me to another tip -- check your measuring before you start to seew! *grin*

Good luck and have fun!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Measure twice, cut once.

A tailored shirt isn't all that hard, as long as you can get the collar right. That's the hardest part. I may ask for a low- end sewing machine for christmas this year, so I don't constantly borrow my mom's.

Do NOT begin with making a cloak as you first project by yourself. You will have so much fabric you won't know what to do with it all.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The only independant fabric store I know of is Fountain Fabrics(I think that's the name), near the farmer's market, it's pretty much now a quilting store. We do have Klaiber's sewing center, it doesn't sell fabric but does have sewing classes, usually on their machine. I still offer you come over and mom will teach you some stuff, (stares at mounds of fabric across room).

I would love to see any stores that are listed in your directory coqinelle.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.