FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My question for you is...

Author Topic: My question for you is...
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
How come more people don't wear velcro shoes? More than 90% of the sneakers I've seen are held together by laces, and more than 90% of the people I know consider themselves lazy.

So I wonder, why don't people wear those shoes with velcro straps? It seems to be a lot easier, with one quick jerk to fasten, and a quick jerk in the opposite direction to take off.

My shoes are laced, yes, but I don't tie them, my feet slip in and out of them.

Thus I present you with a question from deep within my mind.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wear sneakers, but many of my more casual sandals have velcro straps. I have VERY high arches on very wide feet, and sometimes velcro straps are the only way I can get a comfortable fit in a shoe.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
The Velcro Wears out or gets Nub filled.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I wear Tevas by choice. If I'm wearing anything else, I'm either exercising or being compelled to wear other shoes.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I do what kaioshin does. I'm really too lazy to tie my shoes on a regular basis... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I know two people who wear velcro shoes. My kids - they are ages 6 and 9. [Razz]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee, I love my Tevas too! In the summer, you can't get me to wear any other shoes.

I buy laceups because they're more attractive. Sorry...but the velcro tennies look like you either never learned to tie your shoes (too young) or you no longer have the dexterity or flexibility to tie anymore (too old). I didn't think I was a fashion snob, but I guess I must be. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
what is tevas?

[ September 22, 2004, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pronouced tee-vuz, and it's a brand of sandal.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
If your child has ADHD, and you hate his or her teacher, buy said child Velcro shoes or one of those close-with-Velcro notebooks. The teacher will be insane within a week, and will have to resign.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Velcro is loud and obnoxious when you are tightening you shoes.

Also, I don't find velcro shoes to fit my narrow feet as well as laced or fitted shoes do.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Teva was pronopunced TEH vas. They came from Israel, originally, I believe.

I kind of like the word "pronopunced."

[ September 22, 2004, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
hhmmm...I always said it as Tee-vuz. i'll have to look into this. Could it be Tay-vas? As if it were in spanish?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Velcro Wears out or gets Nub filled.
If Nub is a code word for that skanky flinty crap that gums it all up, then this is the correct response.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Where I came from, Velcro became one of those things that was suddenly "out" because it had been "in" a few years before. It was one of the few clothing fads that my parents had the money to follow, and so I became accustomed to wearing laced shoes again, though I never had a pair last long enough for the Velcro to become worthless. Something else always wore out first.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband has a pair of Tevas that are slip on sneakers. He said he's going to be so sad when they fall apart.

----

quote:
I have VERY high arches on very wide feet, and sometimes velcro straps are the only way I can get a comfortable fit in a shoe.
Doesn't that just mean big? Unless they are unusually short. : D
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Velcro shoes are much less attracive, and I am just not lazy enough that I will take the time to tie my shoes for appearance
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

PSI:

How do you pronounce Tevas?

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
TEE-vuz, but I've never heard it said by anyone but Jes, and he's never heard it said by anyone else. I suppose if I had never heard it said before I would say TAY-vas.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to pronounce it TEH-vuz, but since then I've heard multiple people say TEE-vuz, so I now say it that way too.

[ September 22, 2004, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: RRR ]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Interesting....

edit: Can't Type

Edit again: Still can't type

[ September 22, 2004, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
See, my current favorite pair of shoes are sneakers (of the fashionable, rather than athletic type) with elastic laces. Once they're tied, they stay tied and they slip on nicely and stay snug. And they're much prettier than velcro.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend toward elastic slip-on shoes if I must wear something that completely covers my foot and slip-on Birkenstocks if I don't. And if I have the option, I go barefoot.

<---detests footwear

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So Dag, jeniwren, how do you keep your Tevas from stinking? The footbed gets pretty rank in short order, in my experience. I've tried applying a baking soda paste, but its effect was fairly short lived, and I was never able to get all of the baking soda out of the little grooves in the footbed. I generally don't have a problem with my shoes smelling, but my Tevas...the word "stench" doesn't even begin to describe to odor.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not happy... I'm still looking for a solution. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually got reprimanded by a teacher once for buying velcro-fastened shoes for my younger son. He has some fine motor development delay, and so velcro was much easier for him. So we always just did it that way.

Then one day when it became apparent in class that he didn't know how to "tie" (for something they were doing) because he hadn't done it everyday (like people with tie shoes do) she scolded me for allowing him to get "lazy" and not forcing him to learn this skill. (this was back in elementary school)

I still think she was being petty. He can tie things now just fine, thank you, although slowly. Some people just developed at different rates.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, you know, my sweet little delicate feet sweat perfume, so it's not really a problem for me. [Wink]

Actually, mine are only a couple of years old and are made from that anti-microbial material they use. (Have they always used that material or is that new?) Anyway, they really don't smell at all. But then I also don't have a great sense of smell (changing smelly diapers really doesn't bug me), so maybe they do smell and I just can't tell. I sponge out the sand and dead skin that collects in the little divots occassionally, but that's about all I do for cleaning my Tevas. So far no one has mentioned how totally foul I smell, so maybe that's been good enough. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.