FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Chick Flick of all time - finals!

Author Topic: Best Chick Flick of all time - finals!
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember how I started this poll on Sakeriver? I didn't forget it was there, I just... um... forgot it was there.

But now the final round is up!

Here! Go vote!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have voted for WHMS, but I think my account has gone inactive.

Let us know how it turns out! [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
out of the 3 . . . whms, of course!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen any of those. Oh well.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

You cannot call yourself a chick until you've seen at least one. You'll have to come visit me sometime and we'll watch You've Got Mail for 24 hours straight.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw You've Got Mail and I didn't really like it. Probably because I'm not a chick. Seriously, though! It's terrible! The whole basis of the movie is AOL! [Angst]

[Edited for formatting]

[ September 20, 2004, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Mr.Funny ]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

No, the whole basis for the movie is TRUE LOVE!
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
No! AOL! [Mad]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
God forbid! Because then I would have to loathe the film -- and I actually quite like it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah - "You've got Mail!" was contrived, strained and just painful throughout the entire run.

"Sleepless in Seattle", however, had a certain effortless plausability.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that the premise of You've got Mail to be far more plausible than that of Sleepless in Seatle. [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh. Ya would think - but considering as a guy, I actually enjoyed "Sleepless in Seattle" and found "You've Got Mail" to be just painful, I dunno.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
SURVEY SAYS...

NOBODY CARES!!!

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated the whole idea of Sleepless in Seatle, but I loved You've Got Mail. Sure it's contrived, but so is Sleepless, and unlike Sleepless (exceot fir the fiance, who was cool) I don't hate every character in You've Got Mail.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Have any of you seen The Shop Around the Corner, upon which You've Got Mail was based? I highly recommend it.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Wow, looks like we have a "if ya love one, ya hate the other" scenario going on. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, I adore that movie... I used to watch it just about every day.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I don't hate Sleepless in Seattle, but never really loved it. I think I never loved it because it's one of those movies where she ditches the nice guy who's just a bit too nerdy (oh no! He has allergies! How can we expect someone to honestly stay in love with someone who has allergies?) for the mysterious man of her dreams. Sure, happy ending for most of the characters, but what about nerdy allergy guy? Do we just expect him to... what? Be touched by the romantic ending?
TMedina
Member # 6649

I don't think she ditches him for the allergies, but I think she does ditch him because she is forced to admit that while he is a nice guy and is quite comfortable, that's not the kind of relationship she's looking for.

There are worse things to base a relationship on, certainly - but if the character is so willing to give up what she has for what she might have, I think she would never have been completely happy if she had played it safe.

-Trevor

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You've Got Mail really bothered me because it seemed fine for both main characters to be in a serious enough relationship for them to be living together, but still be out cheating on their partner. While I liked parts of the movie, that was just too big of a hurdle for me to overcome.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I must be off the beaten path (oh no, I just know I've given Trevor some fuel here). My favorite "chic flick" is Enchanted April. The setting (Italy) is beautiful and the story of each woman is fascinating. "The Joy Luck Club" is another movie that has that same power.

Of course, if you want to look at "tough chic flicks" I have to go with "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You've Got Mail really bothered me because it seemed fine for both main characters to be in a serious enough relationship for them to be living together, but still be out cheating on their partner. While I liked parts of the movie, that was just too big of a hurdle for me to overcome.
Yep. Same here. I had the same problem with John Cusack's character in Serendipity. Only in that one, he was getting married and still tracking down the "girl of his dreams."

Characters like that can work for me in a farce-type comedy, where the characters are supposed to be on the fringe and a little sleazy - but in "You've Got Mail," I'm supposed to like these people, not just laugh at them.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sndrake, I had that problem with "Serendipity" too, though I enjoyed it... but I watched it on a sunday afternoon, and it was raining outside, and I had just finished a ton of homework... it was one of those "feel-good" movies, and it came at the perfect time for me. But generally, I had that complaint too.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh. Don't worry about it Jess - I've been asked to tone it down a couple of notches.

-Trevor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.