FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The morality surrounding internet radio and the recording of same

Author Topic: The morality surrounding internet radio and the recording of same
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a thread about this last night and deleted it in order to collect my thoughts.

I just discovered internet radio through iTunes. Greatest thing since sliced bread. [Smile] See, I live fairly far away from any significant urban center. The only stations on the radio around here are the usual bland blend of top 40 pap with npr thrown in for 'excitement'. Woo. Internet radio allows me the opportunity to hear music that I would never otherwise be able to listen to.

The problem with internet radio is that it doesn't have deejays that tell you what the song you just heard was. Normally you only get a label in whatever program you're using to listen to the station. So, unless I sit in front of my computer listening intently for hours on end, I'm going to not be able to tell who did a song I liked. I won't be able to buy their music.

Enter Ripcast. Ripcast allows someone to record streams of music via shoutcast.

After googling around last night, it appears that internet radio is legal as long as the various licensing agencies are getting their slice of the pie. (Note that internet radio broadcasters have to pay more than 'regular' radio broadcasters. :/) However, it's not clear to me regarding the legality of recording internet radio. Some people say that while it's not exactly legal, it's not illegal, either. For instance, many fairly well known pc magazines have reviews of stream rippers. Other people say it's completely illegal.

It seems to me that ripping music from inernet radio *should* be legal. Even if it is illegal, I am going to do it. My logic is that if I don't record the music, I'm not going to buy the music. Further, it seems illogical to me that one should be able to record off of the radio, but not off of internet radio. Why is one legal but the other not? So, from the standpoint of the artist getting what he wants, that is, money for his work, it seems like recording internet radio would be o.k..

The problem is that htere is a secondary issue of ownership. If the artist hasn't give their permission for their music to be played on the radio, then one shouldn't be able to record it. I agree with this, though it seems counter intuitive. In any case, this is where stations getting permission from the copyright holders, ie the various licensing agencies, I'm assuming, comes in. Their outlook, from what I understand, is that internet radio in general, and recording specifically, is a bad thing because people won't buy the music and they'll lose money.

This, however, is most definitely not the case for me. If I don't record, I'm *not* going to be able to buy the music. edit: and I will buy some of the things I hear.

So, for me I've decided that in this case, even if the law says that I am committing a crime by recording internet radio streams, because I am going to buy some of the music, I am doing more good for the copyright holders than I otherwise would be able to--assuming that they want me to buy their music, which I think is a fairly safe assumption for most artists.

[ September 16, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Please note that this is obviously just a very brief overview of the situation. I don't claim this to be a comprehensive examination of the problem or anything. That's why I'm making this thread. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, if you can just copy things from internet radio, why can't you just download them?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

If you mean the whole cd or album, that would definitely be stealing if I didn't pay for it. I'm listening to IR because I want to be exposed to what other people, who know the medium, think is good. If I just randomly toss money around on one cd a week on bands of a certain genre that I've never actually heard, my chances are pretty good that I will be wasting money. When I find music that I like on IR, I will buy it and download it.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how clicking a button to copy it off internet radio is different from just downloading it though. The only difference is the medium it goes through is a radio station rather than Napster or a website or whatever.

Although, it's also really not any different from copying music from a regular radio station either.

But, then again, I'd just say all that means is that none of the above is really stealing....

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I understand. From a downloading music in general point of view, you are right.

However, I would say that from a profit point of view, sending out samples of music in order that people can buy it (ripcast has that option directly when right clicking on a song), with the artist's permission, is o.k. Whereas, putting whole cds up for download, which obviates the need for payign for the cd, is not.

Keep in mind that as far as I know, all the internet radio stations on shoutcast ARE playing by the rules. You have legitimate radio stations streaming mixed in with people out of their homes.

I guess the significant question for me is why recording from internet radio is any more or less ethical than recording from regular radio.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

By the way, I appreciate your input into all of this, tres.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think some internet radio stations pay a certain amout to be able to play the songs, like Radio Netscape...
So technically, it is probably ok...
I should set up another shoutcast server.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Well, they're all supposed to. I'm assuming they all do, since it would be fairly easy to play follow the IP and sic a squad of lawyers on people who didn't.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Hmmm. I'm suprised. No other opinions?
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I think as long as the internet radio station is paying the appropriate people, like the regular radio people have to, it is the same. The problem is some stations are just a person in their basement with a lot of CDs, or MP3s. That I find to be unfair to the artists.

Now, to the issue of downloading music without paying; I feel that even if the artists are making "plenty of money" there are many people who are in between you and the artist that need to be compensated. And how much is plenty of money? Also I just think that if you do want to pay for something, then you should not be able to use it, have it, ect.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

So, you think that people should not be able to record off of regular radio?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the two stations I listen to no longer have an Internet site at all because of these issues.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
IR channels like www.radioparadise.com have full playlists.

Consider that a plug for my favourite channel, by the way. Everything from Asian funk music to The Doors to Rich Mullins to Miles Davis to Dave Matthews.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that people should be able to record off of normal radio as well as internet radio, as long as they have permisson from the artists.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.