FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fat loss and LSD Flashbacks

Author Topic: Fat loss and LSD Flashbacks
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I did first check snopes, and LSD Flashbacks are not listed there. NIDA/NIH info on LSD

The thought I was having, looking at myself in the mirror this morning, is whether more "benign" mood states could be preserved in fat cells.

Edit: Got kicked of my computer

So I'm wondering if the biochemical milieau of our organism is stored into fat cells as they are gained, to be released when those fat cells are emptied. Since it is not uncommon for fat to be gained during major depressions.

I've been losing weight gradually for the last 5 months, and I feel like crap. I exercise 3 times a week. I sleep pretty well, though I am often a little short.

If I could draw a line straight back to the last time I was this weight or effectively this weight, it would intersect with my last postpartum depression, also regaining weight after Body for life. Heck, maybe I'm releasing fat stored during early adolescence. Anyway, not happy times any of them.

Then there is the simpler explanation, that I haven't adjusted yet to life without diet induced seratonin and endorphin boosts.

[ September 10, 2004, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an interesting thought, pooka.

::muses::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Pook, I'm not sure I follow - what were you feeling this morning that made you wonder along those lines.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I was looking in the mirror and thinking I was looking relatively svelt, and also wondering why I've been feeling blue. I guess there was also that thread about male PMS where I was talking about the hormonal activity of fat.

I guess maybe that is a focus for my future education- Studying fat as a hormonally active tissue.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Well - is there any other reason you might feel blue? The time of year? Some event in your life?

I seem to recall something about exercise and weight loss affecting emotions and moods, but I can't remember, so I'll do some digging.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought exercise was supposed to make you feel better -- you know, release all those feel-goody chemicals in your body.

That's why whenever I used to get really really angry I would go out and run -- because I couldn't stay angry during physical exercise for very long...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Exercise is supposed to be as effective as Prozac in lifting mood, without bad side effects and providing good ones.

But the sleep deficit is something else.

I struggle with chronic financial stresses that have me between a rock and a hard place. I have pretty serious learned helplessness issues. That kind of goes with the rock and hard place thing.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of cognitive/spiritual work on my depression, but I still just feel physiologically depressed.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
It could be a vitamin deficiency, maybe... Often when our metabolisms change to new diets and exercise, we need to make sure the new demands are being satisfied.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Financial stress - oh yeah, been there, doing that.

Driving down and saying hi to Ivan is starting to sound appealing. [Big Grin]

And Farm - yes, that's true. Everything I've read suggests if not outright states exercise helps promote feeling good, if only for the endorphin release.

-Trevor

pooka
Member # 5003

I take a general multi vitamin, but not as consistently as I could. Maybe I could probably use some Essential Fatty Acids. I'd prefer to get them from salmon.

Ivan... ha, I just got it. [No No]

[ September 10, 2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a really interesting theory, Pooka. My Mom is always positing thoughts on what it means when scriptures say that our thoughts are recorded on our bones and sinews. I wonder how much our physical body and even our genome is affected by experience.

I shall ponder this some more.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, who's feeling me? <g>

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I don't subscribe to the extreme cellular memory school. There are some mood states tied to accupuncture meridians, and that's a different ball of wax. Many (western) therapists take it too far into psychic reading via massage therapy. That just weirds me out.

I'm talking about something that would be measurable using laboratory techniques. Whether different layers of fat have detectably different biochemistry. If it's not detectable, it remains in the realm of metaphysics.

P.S. I would add that I think we are intended to gain and lose about 20% of our body weight each year, like bears do. Whether by evolution or by God. Climate control and mass food distribution are very recent developments. So I think it was intended that we should lose pretty much all our fat cyclically. Modern advances have defeated that.

[ September 11, 2004, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.