FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm really worried about my mom. ( Updated)

Author Topic: I'm really worried about my mom. ( Updated)
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
She's developed flu like symptoms including chills, fever, and aches and pains. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasnt for her copromised immune system.

It could also be a negative rection to one of her meds. Her doctor recently switched her to Lipitor from another cholesterol drug.

She called the doctor's office and the nurse said she should go to the emergency room. [Frown] [Angst] [Angst] i'm really worried. [Angst] [Angst] [Angst]

[ September 14, 2004, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Derrell and mother* [Frown]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope everything turns out ok, I'm sure it will. Keep us updated.
You and your mom are in my heart.
-liz

Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~~Derrell~~~~~
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Are flu-like symptoms listed as a possible adverse reaction to her new medication?

Is it possible she just has the flu? It's been going around here at work the last week or so....

I hope she's ok. [Frown]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~derre'&mom~~~~

Praying she is just fine.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is even if it's "just the flu", a compromised immune system will make any infection complicated.

Good luck Derrell.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely understand the compromised immune system worries (my mother also has several autoimmune disorders). My thinking was along the lines of it perhaps being and illness (known to be going around here in town), which may or may not be easier than it being an adverse reaction to medication.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Derrell)))
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

((((((((((Derrell&Mom))))))))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
prayers and happy, healthy vibes
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

I went with my mom to the emergency room. She called her doctor and the nurse suggested that she go because the doctor was on vacation.

We got there at 1:30 and she got a into a room about 9:30.

She has celulitis. (not sure if I spelled that right) If I understand correctly, it's a skin infection caused by poor circulation.

I'd appreciate any input on this condition from our resident medical experts, or anyone who's dealt with it.

The poor circulation in her legs is caused by the Diabetes.

[Group Hug] Hatrack [Group Hug] Thank you for all the concern and good vibes.

I'm not sure how long she'll be in the hospital. [Frown]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now that they know what it is, let's hope that they can work to make it better.

Take care Derrell and Mom of Derrell.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd change your thread title to reflect the fact you are looking for information on cellulitis.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

eMedicine blurb on cellulitis
I have no degrees, Derrell, so I can't offer much info. As you can see in my link, diabetes and immuno compromised are both risk factors for cellulitis.

It mentions spread through the lymphatic system. In case you don't know what that is, the lymph system shadows your system of veins. The lumphatics are like veins except that they don't get their contents from the arteries (via capillaries). Rather, they pick up fluid and cellular waste.

In a healthy body, this cellular waste is "analyzed" in the lymph nodes where anti-bacterial and anti-viral manufactur can be triggered. It is, in essense, the immune "system". In the end the lymphatic content is emptied into the bloodstream near the heart. So that could be why she has a whole body infection from a skin rash. Hopefully the hospital got her on some good drugs. How are things?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Well, she's going to be in the hospital for at least a couple of days. They have to find out the exact cause of the cellulitis. Her immune system has been weakened by the cancer treatment , and she's Diabetic.

They have her on i.v. antibiotics. The good thing is that they did an ultrasound and didn't find any blood clots. [Smile] Yay for the small victories.

Thanks, for the information, pooka. (((pooka)))

Derrell
Member # 6062

My mom is home from the hospital. She came home Monday afternoon. [Smile] She's taking I.V. antibiotics, but is doing better. The antibiotics are fed through a small pump directly into her port. A port is a small resevoir that's implanted just under the skin. At least I think that's what it is. It serves as a semi permanent injection sight so she doesn't have to get jabbed with a needle every time.

Thanks again for the love and support. (((Hatrack)))

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad she's home and hope she keeps doing better, Derrell.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Now ports I know about. They are a way to get injections into a deep vein, because the nature of some drugs (like vancomycin, which was the most toxic antibiotic, at least 8 years ago) will destroy a vein if there isn't lots of blood to dilute it pretty quick. Chemo also needs to go into a deep (large) vein. In some odd cases, people who have bad/missing intestines actually get all their nutrition injected into a port. They are interesting, but I hope never to need one. I used to work at a company that makes them. [/showing off]

[ September 14, 2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

pooka, the port was put in back in March when she started chemotherapy. Now it comes in handy when she needs to have blood drawn or an I.V.

Dagonee, thank you.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad to hear she's doing better.

((((Derrell and Mom))))

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.