FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » No one has beaten up on Alan Keyes yet?

Author Topic: No one has beaten up on Alan Keyes yet?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Alan Keyes, the Republican import who was brought into Illinois at the last minute to try and run a campaign for the Senate tripped over a land mine earlier this week.

Yes, another Gay marriage thread.

He simply said that all homosexuals were "Selfish Hedonists" and when askes about Vice President Cheney's daughter, "Yes, she is one too."

This bothered me for a while today. There were a lot of witty and silly comments that I wanted to make in rebuttal to this comment.

Then it struck me why his point of view bothered me so much.

It presumes that there can be no love in a homosexual relationship.

To some people, sex is all about the pleasure. They have a very limited, hedonistic, and ultimately empty life.

To people like Alan Keyes, sex is all about procreation and the religious duties involved in such. While that is definately a big step above hedonism, it is still very limited, and somewhat empty.

To me, sex is part of the romantic partnership of mutual admiration, respect, care and that something else mystical and powerful all of which we call love. Certainly there is pleasure involved, and in some cases, procreation. However, to not connect in an emotional and personal way with your sexual partner, either out of hedonism or anti-hedonistic duty, is to really miss something in sex and in life.

Worse, to assume that another group of people are unable to make that connection is to dismiss the basic humanity of those people.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of them do miss that, and others are so taken aback by the idea of same sex marriages that they don't know what to think.

I was against it, until I became friends with some gay men and women. Then it became easier to see why SOME gays want marriage....the same reasons that SOME hetero couples want it.

I am still caught in the middle of these issues, because I can see points being made on both sides. It wasn't that long ago that I had different views than I have now, less than 10 years ago really. I wasn't a bigot, and NEVER condoned violence or extreme prejudice, but I was very conservative in my views. In some ways I still am. I had friends that were gay, but not close friends, so I pretty much lived by the "no harm, no foul" view...I didn't talk about my sex life, and I made sure they didn't talk to me about that either... [Big Grin]

But once I saw how these people, good people, were hurt by not being able to formalize their commitment to each other, it made me reconsider a lot of things I thought I "knew".
Now I am confused, but I would rather error on the side of kindness than cruelty, at least in this matter.

It is easier for both sides to dehumanize each other than to sit down and have a real discourse about the issues.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you see the google ad on the bottom?

It was advertizing Hedonism and Hedonism II.... [Big Grin]

[ROFL]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
If I lived in Illinois, and I knew what Obama's record was I might actually go Dem for once. Might.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Selfish? Hedonist? [Eek!]

This is where understanding and education on homosexuality really help out. I wish I could talk to Alan and just ask him, in what ways do you think they are selfish? Or hedonist? I would really like to hear his response.

Them's fightin' words.

[ September 03, 2004, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe no one is beating him up because they aren't surprised?

Raise your hand if you didn't already know Alan Keyes was against homosexual marriage.

*looks for hands*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Keyes is the Howard Dean of conservatives. Other conservatives adore him because he's unabashadly a conservative, while on the other hand, they wish he had the tact God gave a pea. Liberals love him because he scares all the moderates away. [Smile]

I honestly would be interested to see what he did with some real power. Our country is supposed to be about experimentation. It's not my state. I'd be interested to see what happens if he won.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Fiddlestix. I liked Keyes up to this point.

Still-- I wouldn't count him out as a political force. This kind of barbarism is exactly what attracts people to Nader. Raw honesty, even when mistaken, is attractive.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing I 'like' about Keyes, is when he slammed Hillary for going to NY to run for the Senate. Let's see.... his exact quote was....

quote:
"I deeply resent the destruction of federalism represented by Hillary Clinton's willingness to go into a state she doesn't even live in and pretend to represent people there. So I certainly wouldn't imitate it."
Seems the Dems ain't the only ones that 'flip flop'.
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's safe to say that the Keyes campaign in Illinois was dead in the water even before he opened his mouth; he's on the record as too much of a slavering idiot to get many votes except from the truly hardcore partisans. People kept saying, when he was talking about the possibility of entering in Illinois, that at least it would make for "good debates" -- but I don't see why, as everything I've heard from Keyes has always been one or two steps from babbling incoherence.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Tom, how much have you heard him?

I listened to him civilly discuss with some deep south Republicans why South Carolina should remove the confederate flag from the Capitol; he impressed me very much with his reasoning. When he ran for the Republican nomination in '00, I took every opportunity to give him an ear.

Like Dean, I think people have confused Keyes' passion for his beliefs with rage.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, Keyes' platform combines the worst elements of social conservatism with the worst elements of fiscal libertarianism; he's also got a tiny little anger problem that is distinct from his "passion," as we saw a few times during the last presidential race. Unless, of course, you thought Zell Miller's speech this week was fueled by "passion." [Smile]

I see him as a tragic figure: a man smart enough to see all the evidence and, after reviewing it, reach the wrong conclusions.

[ September 03, 2004, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, that's how I see you sometimes, Tom. [Big Grin]

And I cringed when I heard Ryan was dropping out. I cringed again when I heard Keyes running, without knowing about his comments on Hilary running in NY.

It's ridiculous. If you can't find a competitor in-state, don't field a candidate.

On a 2008 speculation note, if Guliani runs we might finally see the long-delayed Hilary v. Rudy campaign we were deprived of in 2000.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You know, I can't stand EITHER Rudy Giuliani OR Sen. Clinton. *shudder* I understand that party faithful like both, but I can't see why.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't particularly want Guliani as my candidate, either.

Attorney General, maybe. President, no.

But the campaign would be fun.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Scott R= social conservative, fiscal liberal.

Alas, now I need to find a candidate that represents my POV.

:searching:

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You understand the situation correctly, but remember, the era of Illinois Backroom Bad Politics is over.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Considering how the NJ Dems replaced their Senate candidate last cycle, I'll just accept this non-primary replacement as an inevitable, if undesirable, part of the political process.

Dagonee

ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To some people, sex is all about the pleasure. They have a very limited, hedonistic, and ultimately empty life.
Do they?
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hedonism Resorts"

What in the name of goodness is a hedonism resort? Aren't all resorts a bit hedonistic by nature? I don't dare click on the link, for fear of Hedonism Camp pop-ups.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's like Club Med with nudity.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair Keyes never said running in another state was a good thing. Even as he accepted the nomination he said that a matter of general principle it was something that shouldn't be done so technically he didn't flip flop as what happened is something that goes beyond the general rule.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Either way IL is sending a black senator to congress.

If I decide to vote at all, on this one I'll probably vote for Obama.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
So he went against his strongly-held principles.
Or he thought another deeply held principle was more important.

Dagonee

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

I still think the fact that he recognizes that what he is doing is against his general principles, admits it publicly, and then still decides that his duty to his party (in his mind at the least) shows he genuinely does have convictions even if they are misguided.

Basically, what Dagonee said.

fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
It is fun to watch Republicans find new, safer and more positive terms for "flip flop," for a change. Gives the Democrats a break. Please, continue. Works for Zell and Keyes so far! [Big Grin]

fil

[ September 03, 2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: fil ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Both Miller and Keyes cite unique situations to change their minds. Kerry says he voted for something before he voted against it.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Keyes wants to give tax credits for decendents of slaves. I think this is an incredible misunderstanding of the legacy of slavery, and it won't help a darn thing. Sure, the United States has some work to do, but it won't come from paying us off with tax credits. Now anyone who wants to call this a incredible misapportionment of government dollars is okay with me, and this policy also has the added benefit of further severing AA from their identities as Americans.

Keyes is a wreck for a thousand reasons, and that's why I don't think that anyone has spoken up for him.

[ September 04, 2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Kerry says he voted for something before he voted against it."

Yes, that would be the Republican soundbyte for the situation.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

So I guess Kerry didn't say that then? Its all Republican fiction right?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Here's a question for you: do you understand what Kerry was saying, in context, when he said that, or does it just amuse you when taken out of context? If the latter, are you also amused by numerous Bush quotes, when taken out of context, in a way that would affect your vote?

Kerry's point was absolutely clear. While I certainly didn't agree with him at the time, and will freely admit that he's not exactly the first Dem on my list, I've never been particularly confused by his position on our hostile occupation of Iraq.

[ September 04, 2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.