FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sasha needs some good wishes/prayers/thoughts

Author Topic: Sasha needs some good wishes/prayers/thoughts
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sasha, my newly adopted 4 year old son, went into Surgery yesterday. It was a minor surgery. Lets see if I can phrase this appropriately.

He had aiming issues. Any attempt to write his name in the snow would have dampened his shoes since the hole was in the wrong spot. This also resulted in only partial growth of a certain type of skin that is ritually removed by some religions. This resulted in a risk of infection, so the doctors removed the skin to patch up his plumbing.

Now he should be all good. In fact, at 6:00am the doctor came into the room, removed the catheter, and said, "just as soon as he uses the bathroom, you can take him home."

10 hours later, with lots of incoming fluids, there was no bathroom.

Then the doctor said those seven words which will make any man cringe. "Time to put the Catheter back in."

He was in severe pain. They didn't want to give him morphine because it would make urinating more difficult. So my wife and I held his hands and wiped away his tears and they put the catheter back in.

We will try it all again tomorrow. Hopefully by then the swelling will have gone down enough to open up the plumbing. Any good wishes/prayers/thoughts/etc will be appreciated just in case.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I hope you aren't having sympathy pains... [Big Grin]

Seriously, I hope he will be OK, and he is young enough for hime to forget it ever happened.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor kid; that doesn't sound like much fun. Are you able to communicate with him well enough to convey what is going on and why? Does he feel bonded enough to you guys, yet, that he's turning to you for comfort in this? I hope so, on both counts.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope all goes well. I've been following your story -- it's a great read. Sasha seems like an awesome kid. [Smile]

Good luck!

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Bless that little one! I'm so sorry it turned out like this. Will say prayers for little Sasha and for you and Cindy.

Poor baby. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers away.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor kiddo. Poor Momma and Pappa! *hugs*

Prayers and best wishes heading your way.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

On the plus side, it's great that he has parents now who can have this operation done for him, and can hold him and comfort him while he heals.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers and hugs for all - extra for Sasha.

Nothing like baptism by fire when it comes to parenting, eh?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw man, poor kid. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Dan, I'm sorry. Our son will need to have a very similar surgery. I have been putting it off. He has already been through two terrible ordeals twice as they tried to stretch the urethra open with topical (and I might add entirely insufficent) anesthesia, but both times failed to make permanent, sufficent improvement.

This is a hard time. Hopefully the hardest is over now.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] All sorts of good thought coming your & Sasha's way.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Having a kid who has required several surgeries in the same region, I empathize with you, Dan. I trust all will go well, but well-wishes and prayers are on their way nonetheless.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! That sounds pretty painful. Best wishes to Sasha. I'm sure it's great for him to have parents to comfort him.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Good vibes heading your way. Hope Sasha is feeling a better. *Hugs* to you and Cindy.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] (good feelings)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine underwent a similar surgery at 11 years old. He gets teased a lot by some of the kids in our school because of the nature of the surgery, but he seems to not be affected. It's good that it happened young for Sasha, not that its a good thing either way. I hope he does well.

[ September 03, 2004, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Raven family)))))
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe...I had the same surgery when I was a little kid... [Angst]

Yup...no fun.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
First, thanks everyone.

Sasha is learning English at an extrodinary rate. We take very well, probably at about a 2 or 3 year old level. Verbs and tenses are limited, but nouns are expanding dailly. Whenever he truly understands a new word I've explained to him, he makes this very adult, almost cosmically signifigant sound of, "ahhhh".

So yes, he knows who we are. He reaches for us when he is in pain. He just has trouble telling us exactly what hurts.

Finally, the doctor this morning gave us two choices. We could stay in the hospital one more night and see if the swelling went down, or we could take him home for the Labor Day weekend, and have them remove it on Tuesday.

We are checking with our local experts, but we will probably take him home, and just be careful of the catheter all weekend.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Sasha.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Raven Family)))
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes - poor little guy.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Glad to hear that he's bonded with you guys, and that his English is coming along so well! Are you guys learning Russian too?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.