FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » John Dunn? This is driving me nuts.

Author Topic: John Dunn? This is driving me nuts.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just watching an episode of Firefly, and saw in the credits that one of the actors was named "John Dunn". This name is incredibly familiar to me. At first I thought that it was an author, maybe from the Elizabethan period, maybe earlier. A google search on the name isn't turning up anything though. So...who am I thinking of? Am I just thinking of John Dee, the famous alchemist and astrologer of the Elizabethan era, or is it someone else.

I could swear he was an author. A poet. Definitely not modern. Gah! This is driving me insane! Any help?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
John Donne
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh! Thanks kat! Of course!

You have no idea how relieved I am that you responded so quickly--that was really driving me nuts.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Great, great poet. [Smile]

quote:
NOW thou hast loved me one whole day,
To-morrow when thou leavest, what wilt thou say ?
Wilt thou then antedate some new-made vow ?
Or say that now
We are not just those persons which we were ?
Or that oaths made in reverential fear
Of Love, and his wrath, any may forswear ?
Or, as true deaths true marriages untie,
So lovers' contracts, images of those,
Bind but till sleep, death's image, them unloose ?
Or, your own end to justify,
For having purposed change and falsehood, you
Can have no way but falsehood to be true ?
Vain lunatic, against these 'scapes I could
Dispute, and conquer, if I would ;
Which I abstain to do,
For by to-morrow I may think so too.

In the interest of full disclosure, he was on a crossword puzzle I did the other day, so I have been newly reminded how to spell it.

[ September 02, 2004, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

How is that pronounced, anyway? I don't think I ever had a class in which he was studied, so I don't know that I've ever heard his name pronounced. I've always pronounced it "Dunn" in my head, but I have no real reason to think that that's right. Actually, I'll bet it's not.
katharina
Member # 827

I think it is pronounced "dun." At least, that's how I've always pronounced. I wonder if Google knows.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pronounced "Dunn." He was a metaphysical poet.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm in the process of looking, but I got kind of hung up on what looks like a fairly good page devoted to him, that unfortunately doesn't seem to contain any pronunciation guide.

The whole site looks pretty good, actually. Hm. I sense another night of going to bed too late looming.

the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
cool, because late night noemon does write the best emails.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Read "A Valediction Forbidding Mourning." It's a beautiful poem!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Does that mean that there's one to reply to?

::off to check::

Noemon
Member # 1115

In fact no.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, Space Opera, that is beautiful! I think this is my favorite verse:

Our two souls therefore, which are one,
Though I must go, endure not yet
A breach, but an expansion,
Like gold to aery thinness beat.

the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
*snickers*

i had to get a dictionary out to read the last one, i'll get around to responding [Razz]

Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, I did *tell* you I was going to be making typos and misspellings.

Reading over it, though, I'm suprised at how many there were. I felt kind of smug about their total absence in that message, after I was through. Ha!

Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Donne's great, one of my favorites. Last year I wrote a(n obviously brilliant) paper on corporality/textuality in his poetry. His prose is fantastic, too, though.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
We read some Donne in my AP literature class last year. I really liked it, and I'm not big on poetry usually.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
He is one of my favorites as well.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Donne made God all sexy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so weird! I read "A Valediction Forbidding Mourning" just last night! I was reading my old college literature course text, (I couldn't sleep) and just browsed through the poetry section.

Nothing like a little John Donne (and I always pronounced it like "dun" also), and Dylan Thomas at 2 AM. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That is an interesting coincidence Belle. Funny how stuff like that happens, isn't it?

Here's something trivial, but kind of odd. War Stories, the episode of Firefly that I was watching, features and actor named John Dunn, whose name, it would seem is pronounced identically to John Donne, and an actor named Johnny Shakespear.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
John Donne is, if not my favorite poet, among my top ten. I just can't get enough. If I were to get a doctorate in literature, I'd probably choose to specialize in him and become like Vivian in W;t.

Edit after seeing Noemon's: There's a Shakespeare professor at BYU named Bill Shakespeare. [Smile]

[ September 03, 2004, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.