FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dialing the wrong number by mistake

Author Topic: Dialing the wrong number by mistake
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you hate when this happens? It happens to me a lot! I think I'm calling someone, and I call a different number, and then I feel like an idiot asking for someone who doesn't live there (especially since at the number that I do dial, they know me).

My mom just called my cellphone from the other room by mistake, thinking that she was calling my dad. It was really funny. But it's usually a lot more embarrassing than that.

I was just curious, any funny stories?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My own dad did it to me when I was a teenager. I lived in the same phone exchange as my aunt (my dad's sister). So the first three digits are the same. Then on the last four digits, hers was 1225, and mine was 1212 (fairly close). He was probably very used to dialing both number fairly regularly.

Anyway, one night I picked up the phone and said Hello, and he said, "uhmmm.... is Ida there?" I recognized the voice immediately as my dad, (but apparently he didn't recognizing me because he THOUGHT he had dialed her), and I said "Noo...." thinking he was trying to joke around. He got all flustered and said, "oh, I'm sorry, I must have dialed a wrong number..." and I said, "DADDY! It's ME!!" And started laughing. He finally figured it out.

I teased him about it for weeks -- that he didn't recognize me.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[ROFL]

That's really funny. At least my mom recognized my voice when she called me!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My relatives call me all the time asking for my mom, my Aunt Fable, and my mother-in-law.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I have to call large groups of friends I always forget who I call. So I end up saying hello, and then a long pause, usually until my friend's mom on the other end recognizes my voice and asks if I'd like to speak to her daughter. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in high school I had a big fight with my girlfriend that ended with both of us hanging up in a huff. Moments later I (the spineless man that I was [Wink] ) called her right back and launched into a lengthy and heartfelt apology which received a reply of, "Umm... I think you want to talk to my sister."

Oh yeah. That won me tons of brownie points.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
If I miss some of the numbers in my phone number, I end up phoning the emergency services! I've never done it, because I've heard stories of other people explaining everything was alright and it was a wrong number only to have the services call back to find out if everything is really alright!

[ September 02, 2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[ROFL] @ Bob
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
our neighbor's across the street's number is one digit off of ours (9175 and 9174), once I was out of town, and was calling my dad but I dialed the wrong number, had a few minute conversation with the neighbor, thinking he was my dad till he said "sarah I don't have any daughter's" It was really funny but sad.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Matthew   Email Matthew         Edit/Delete Post 
My number is very similar to the local sheet metal place. Every so often I get messages with people asking about their orders or needing to get some metal.
Posts: 118 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yeah, my neighbor's (in Bloomington) number is similar to the Malibu Grill, and she keeps getting calls from people wanting to make reservations... she said that usually she picks up the phone, and answers as a worker at the Grill, and places the reservation and everything... the poor customers, I wonder if they ever figured out why their table wasn't reserved once they got to the restaurant!

This girl is just a little wacky. Ok, more than a little.

Raia
Member # 4700

[Eek!]

Eek!

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who calls our house thinks I'm my mother. It's awful when it's family, but fun when it's my sister. That way, I get to set her curfew. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was a freshman in college, the last four digits of my phone number just happened to be the same as the frequency of one of the local radio stations. And to dial around to other student numbers you just had to dial the last 5 digits. Suffice it to say, we got a lot of middle of the night calls requesting songs. Guess people didn't realize that the station wasn't a student number.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely dial the wrong number anymore, because I use my cell phone and select the appropriate name. I did witness my friend call our other friend's mom, rather than our friend, and leave a message. That was bad for them, but funny for me as I was not involved.

I do not understand why people "drunk dial". Do they not realize they will probably regret it the next morning?

Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
The worst "dialing the wrong number" story I know happened to my father. He was in Washington, D.C. on a school trip with my little brother. My brother got hurt (he fell off the Einstein statue, I think), and I don't remember exactly what he did to himself, but he ended up in the emergency room. It wasn't at all life-threating--a sprain or break or something like that. My mother, however, is the champion worrier of the world, so my dad decided he would call her AFTER they figured out what Jeff's medical situation was. He needed to get the phone number for insurance purposes, though, so he got to the phone and MEANT to dial his office.

Instead, he dialed home, accidentally. My mother answered the phone, "Hello." My father replied, "Oh, sh*t." Of course, my mother recognized his voice, and said, "WHAT??!! WHAT'S WRONG??!!" At which point my father was forced to explain that they were in the hospital for Jeff, and ...well, you get the idea. My mother proceeded to freak out. Never have I seen a misdialed number with such drastic emotional consequences! (well, I can imagine worse, but that's the worst one I know personally.)

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be more worried if anyone dialed the wrong number on purpose.

When I was a teenager, my parents gave me my own phone line. My number was just one number off from the local Harley Davidson shop, and I got a lot of people calling for them. It was quite annoying.

Sometimes I answer the phone in the Japanese way, saying "Moshi-moshi." I'll always wish that at least one of those times, it would have been someone calling for the Harley shop. I would have savored the delicious panic in their voice as they asked if it was the Harley shop. Then I would have given a lenghty explanation in a Japanese accent about how Harley Davidson went out of business and had to sell to Mitsubishi or something. Man, that would have been fun. Evil. But fun. [Evil]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't call wrong numbers often, but I had a strange experience receiving a wrong-number call.

As night maintenance, I'm one of a tiny handful of people who can bring their cell phone with them on the job at Cracker Barrel. However, the only use I have for it would be in an emergency where I couldn't get to the store phone, so when I bring it I usually leave it lying around. One night I took a look at the missed calls menu and discovered someone had tried to call my phone at 1 AM or something like that. I was afraid that one of my family members (of whom several have new cell phones, and I don't know all the numbers) had tried to call me due to an emergency and couldn't reach me.

So I tried several times over the next day or so to reach whoever it was before finally catching the person at home. It was, of course, a wrong number. Who the heck was the guy calling at 1 AM?

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've every misdialed.

As for receiving misdialed calls
Try living in a predominantly Spanish speaking neighborhood where the local information gives out your number as the county jail (mine was actually 1 number off: 773 not 733). ps- me no hablo espanol [Wink]

Every Friday night, at least 3 calls looking for relatives to bail out.

Caller : "You tell me how much Juan's bail?"
Me : "I'm sorry ma'am, this is not jail, it's my apt."
Caller : "Can you transfer me then ?"
Me : "No, its my apartment, a private residence."
Caller : "I no care if it not yo'r dept., where's Juan ? I need to get Juan!!"

One of the more intelligible Fridays....

but the rent was cheap [Evil]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
After sending out applications, I had to call a couple grad schools to make sure they got all of my application. One particular school I called, I let it ring until I got voice mail. The message was, "Hi. I'm not here right now. Leave a message and I'll get back to you... Maybe."

Even though I got the same message after double-checking and calling back, I choose to believe I misdialed and got some kid's dorm room twice. And I started emailing the admissions office...

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
My little brother always has er, interesting voicemail messages. I'm always left wondering if I really had the right number even if it is in my speed dial phone book.

The one that had me the most confused was when there wasn't really a normal message, didn't say who you had reached or anything. He recorded, a bit from that movie with Tom Cruise as the lawyer prosecuting the Code Red where the guy died at Guantanamo (can't remember the stupid name at the moment) but the bit he had on the phone was a random bit Jack Nicholson saying "Cononel Nathan R. Jessup reporting for duty." and then there was the beep. I knew I'd heard the line before, but it was so out of context I was wondering if the phone could possibly be my brothers!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get calls alot for "China Express" and we got tired of being honest. We just started taking orders and hanging up.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.