FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Talk about a crappy family tradition. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Talk about a crappy family tradition.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a letter from my dad the other day telling me that some aunt or other has relatives in Dallas and may call on me when she is in town. I know her by name, and met her years and years ago when we first moved to Utah. That's fine.

It was the second line that killed me.
quote:
You remember Hillary. You attended her wedding at the capitol last year.
Yes, I remember Hillary. No, I did not know she was married and I did not attend the wedding. I was not invited.

This should be a surprise to no one.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. [Frown] *huggles*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
You're invited to my wedding.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. Kat, I'm sorry that they do this. At least in this case is wasn't a family member that you were theoretically close to.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really weird. Well, I give you permission to make a point of not seeing her as long as you let her know the non invite was the reason.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm not sure that makes any sense. i certainly wouldn't be expected to be invited to the wedding of a relative of an aunt i'd met once in my life.

of course, if i were in kat's shoes i'd be pretty furious about my father bringing up weddings i wasn't invited to.

Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((((((Kat)))))))))))))))

Oh dear, I'm so sorry. [Frown]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's an obvious answer. The reason Katie occasionally feels ignored and/or slighted by her family is that an evil imposter -- one who looks almost exactly like her -- has been showing up to events and usurping her life.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think it's the good twin that is usurping my life. Judging from my dad's descriptions of me and his puzzlement when we do interact, this other Katie is a delight.

She goes to family weddings, she didn't go on a mission, she got married a long time ago, and I think she was a cheerleader in high school. She's definitely blonde. She works at the family business, along with my dad, my uncle, my grandfather, two of my cousins and four out of four brothers.

She must be ignoring the baby brother, though, because the baby loves me.

[ September 01, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Kama, I am SO coming to your wedding. I have a plan for decorating the car.
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
that's going to be a fabulous movie staring that lost in translation chick. it already sounds better than the preview for that movie about one girl taking the other's place that they showed before garden state.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I realize you have no idea who I am, but I'd be happy to come to your wedding if it would make you feel any better.

Or I could dress up in drag and go to a relative's wedding, claiming to be you. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, kat. That really sucks...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
(((kat)))
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((kat)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you write back to your Dad and say something like,

Hey Dad, it's me, Katie. You remember me, you attended my wedding at the capitol last summer.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, when I think of all my potential respsonses to that letter the inevitable conclusion I reach is that you're a much nicer person than I am.

But at the end of the day, it still stinks. [Frown]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ooooh, cheap shot Bob.

I love it. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Hey Dad, it's me, Katie. You remember me, you attended my wedding at the capitol last summer
[ROFL]

You know, I was so tempted. When I do get married, I'm seriously tempted to elope. That would keep with tradition.

*sigh* The problem is, I think families are important and mine obviously missed the boat somewhere, so while I want to elope, I'm pretty sure that the guy I'll pick won't.

----

It is ironic. I barely know this cousin, so it's not a crisis. It just adds to the pile. [Razz] I'm more offended that my dad doesn't remember that I wasn't there. Tom's explanation makes much more sense.

I don't know that I'm more nice. What I sent back was this:
quote:
If they called, I would delighted to see them. I think I know who you are talking about.
I remember Hillary, but I did not attend her wedding. I was not invited.

Katie

[ September 01, 2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd invite you to mine, but well, I'm pretty sure I won't be getting married within the decade; By then you will have forgotten. So consider yourself invited to the party that isn't getting planned [Wink] .

Well, thats the best I could do: Next!

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear family,

While there have been some happy moments in this family, I have decided to adopt myself out. The family I'm a part of now invites me to huge reunions and is happy to see me. If any of you are interested in breaking free and joining me in this new family, we will welcome you.

Sincerely,
Katarina Rack

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
(((kat)))

Yes, I agree with Tom.

Dopplegangers!

"Tell it to Queen Dopple-popple-opolous!"

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs kat*
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

See, that's so much more nice because all you do is state, quite simply, what happened. Although I suspect "delighted" might be a bit of hyperbole. I would totally succomb to my baser desires and have a little fun with the response. Where's the joy of being confused for someone else if you don't get to play another part? While I might be more satisfied with snarky and biting replies I think I may think less of myself at the same time. It's trading one sort of satisfaction for another. Stupid cake that I can't eat.

But please, for my sake, even if you do invite your family to your wedding at least write a letter pretending you didn't. You don't even have to send it [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

Well, since there were pictures taken of me at KamaCon for the first time in a year or so, I have been e-mailing him pictures for the past week.

I could just e-mail one with me in a dress and someone's arm about my shoulders. [Smile]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great idea kat! Actually, make it the picture in Kama's album of the two of you. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

*beaten by the tick*

*shakes fist*

[ September 01, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: the master ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

You must've rubbed of on me. ::bows to the master::
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Or you could just stop sending pictures of you and start sending ones of Kama pretending they're you.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Katie,

I'm not surprised you don't remember -- see, we had you kidnapped and brainwashed so that we could make you forget ever attending all of these family functions. We thought that would be better for you than remembering them, since they're so frightfully dull. Next time you see me, if you REALLY want to remember the wedding, I can give you the memory trigger.

Dad

P.S. Sorry, I just watched the 1962 film version of The Manchurian Candidate. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I note that Kat deleted the post concerning giving her grandfather a heart attack. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
**hugs for Katie**

Atleast stuff like this doesn't come as a shock anymore...

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm starting to think my dad has lost his grip on reality. I haven't been home in almost two years except for a 48 hour jaunt to put in an appearance. Did he honestly not notice?

[ September 01, 2004, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Or it was an indirect barb of sorts.

-Trevor

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
((Kat))

[Smile]

Damn evil twins...

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Kat, it could certainly be something very innocent. I've missed quite a few family events over the years and frequently Mom forgets that I wasn't there. It was a family thing, the family did it, I'm family, I must have been there. I do similar things within my group of friends. Heck, give it two years and I'm sure people who went to KamaCon will assume that some people who weren't there were.
katharina
Member # 827

I know - that'll be weird. At least you, me, twink, and Banna got to hang out, though.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

That was really cool. Did twink and I tell you about sneaking back across the border when we left? We actually didn't have any problems on the American side but one of the Canadian border guards noticed us. It's too bad we didn't see more people that night, but we were in and out of there so fast that it was nice to have quality time with the two of you rather than trying to fit in the whole crowd, y'know?

Anyway, hopefully we'll be able to stay longer at the next one.

AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
Men who've had women take care of family things their whole life are often somewhat oblivious to those family things. If the woman passes away, the widower often does not have the skills necessary to keep up good contact with family, to smooth over rough spots, to simply remember who was where when. They can feel abandoned and lonely, especially if they've always had a woman take care of them in some way, and suddenly they are 'on their own'.

Also, in my experience, people can often mix events together in their memory. This is especially true of family functions where there are quite a few over the lifetime and most of the faces are always familiar. It wouldn't suprise me if sometimes your dad tells your stepmom, remember when X happened? And she says no. But you were there. No, that was your first wife.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It's been seven years. When does he get to stop playing the widower card?
quote:
They can feel abandoned and lonely, especially if they've always had a woman take care of them in some way, and suddenly they are 'on their own'.
Gee, I wonder what that feels like.

[ September 01, 2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

katharina
Member # 827

Bob, yeah - at least y'all could make it. The sharpie finally washed off. Did twinky ever find his other sock?
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever do want to adopt yourself out, Katie, you know where the Fowler clan lives. We'll laugh at your jokes and tease you mercilessly about the litter of broken hearts you've left behind. [Smile]

Thus concludes my daily post. [Wink]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

kat, Kama took the sock back to Narnia. Duh.
katharina
Member # 827

Olivia!!!! [Smile] *hug* Thanks.
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't a question of when he can stop playing the widow card. Many of the skills he may never, ever acquire. Especially since he married another woman and now feels comfortable. It appears as if the stepmom can't or won't step in to fill in some of the gaps left.

When you left on your mission, you didn't do anything wrong. Kids grow up, move out, do what they need to do. But suddenly, he was 'alone'. Yes, there were sons but to the man who has always been taken care of by women, this may have been very frightening. This may be why he couldn't wait to get married. He may have felt guilting for getting angry at his wife dying (a natural reaction). So he got angry at you, because you could control your actions. If he never really wanted you to go on a mission, then that only validated his anger. See! You weren't being the proper woman and taking care of the man. His anger at you may very well be why he wouldn't even wait a couple of weeks to get married.

I don't know how angry he is now, but it seems by his letter that he is at least trying to reach out, and quite obliviously pushed a sore spot. The very fact that he remembers you at an event that you weren't at suggests to me that he misses you.

The whole situation is very painful to everyone involved. It sucks pretty badly. I hope you and your whole family can find a way to heal.

edited for spelling

[ September 01, 2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: AmkaProblemka ]

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

So my sin was that I didn't stay home and keep house for my dad like a good girl? Instead I went off into the world?

This is why proscribed gender roles can be so incredibly destructive.

I do not believe that noticing whether or not a child is present is the sole province of the mother. To excuse it because "he's just a man" is doing great fathers everywhere a horrible disservice.

----

ETA re: master's post: I agree that I don't think this is a big thing at all. It was almost funny. [Razz] Other things, however, HAVE been big things, and this stirred that up a little bit.

[ September 01, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

the master
Member # 6788

given that he can also control his actions, even if your reasoning was dead accurate, it in now way makes it acceptable. she can't be mad at him because he's mad at her and that's why he makes these kind of remarks? even her angry at him sends polite responses.
the master
Member # 6788

and i think it's much more likely that this is a small issue of memory slipage than an deliberate insult, so really i don't think it warrents this level of character analysis.
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

Of course it isn't your sin. I'm just saying my admittedly ignorant speculation on what it appeared to be to your father. I'm not saying that your father's perception was good. I don't think it was. Just understandable. Understanding something doesn't mean you agree with it. Edit: But I think understanding makes things much easier to deal with.

It isn't a matter of him being a man or not. It is a matter of him probably mistaking seeing you in one event for seeing you in another. This is common enough among people of both genders, and gets even more common as memory piles on top of memory. My mom has forgotten many important details in my life that she was there for. I'm just saying that I think that particular misstep on his part was innocent of any anger or getting back at you or an intent to offend at all.

[ September 01, 2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: AmkaProblemka ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.