FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The 2004 US Open thread -Federer is the man

Author Topic: The 2004 US Open thread -Federer is the man
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Federer, Roddick Lead Men's US Open Field
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., July 21, 2004 - The USTA today announced that the top 100 ranked men in the world have entered the 2004 US Open Tennis Championships. The 2004 US Open will be played August 30 - September 12 at the USTA National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y. The US Open Men’s Singles Championship is presented by Lincoln Mercury. Both the Men’s and Women’s US Open Singles Champions will earn $1,000,000, with the ability to earn up to $1.5 million based on their performances in the US Open Series.

Leading the list of entries are current world No. 1 Roger Federer of Switzerland, the reigning Australian Open and Wimbledon champion and Andy Roddick of Austin, Texas, the defending US Open champion who is ranked second on the ATP Entry System.

The pair is followed by No. 3 Guillermo Coria of Argentina, who reached his first Grand Slam singles final this year at the French Open; No. 4 Carlos Moya of Spain, the 1998 French Open champion; No. 5 Tim Henman of Great Britain, a five-time Grand Slam semifinalist; No. 6 David Nalbandian of Argentina, a semifinalist at the US Open last year and 2002 Wimbledon runner-up; No. 7 Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain, the 2003 French Open champion and last year’s US Open runner-up; No. 9 Lleyton Hewitt of Australia, the 2001 US Open and 2002 Wimbledon champion, and No. 10 Andre Agassi, the two-time US Open singles champion who owns eight Grand Slam singles titles.

In all, there are 11 entrants who have won Grand Slam singles titles in their careers including: reigning French Open champion Gaston Gaudio of Argentina; 2000 US Open champion Marat Safin of Russia; three-time French Open champion Gustavo Kuerten of Brazil; 2002 French Open champion Albert Costa of Spain; and 2002 Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson of Sweden.

Other American men who received direct entry into this year’s tournament include No. 18 Mardy Fish of Tampa, Fla., No. 22 Vince Spadea of Boca Raton, Fla., No. 28 Taylor Dent of Newport Beach, Calif.; No. 36 Robby Ginepri of Marietta, Ga.; No. 45 James Blake of Tampa, Fla., No. 75 Jan-Michael Gambill of Spokane, Wash., No. 76 Todd Martin of Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., and No. 91 Jeff Morrison of Tampa, Fla.

The United States has 10 players who received direct entry into the 2004 US Open, trailing only Spain with 14 and France with 13.

No. 102 Wayne Arthurs of Australia was the 104th and last player accepted directly into the men’s field of 128 (Julian Boutter of France and Scott Draper of Australia both used protected rankings). Sixteen more players will gain entry through the US Open qualifying rounds, August 24-27, while the remaining eight spots are wild card entries awarded by the USTA.

The July 19 edition of the ATP Entry System rankings was used to determine the initial US Open main draw entry list. Seedings will be based on the August 23 rankings. The US Open draw will take place Wednesday, August 25.

The US Open is the highest annually attended sporting event in the world with more than 620,000 fans. More than 75 million viewers watched the 2003 US Open in the United States on CBS Sports and USA Network and international broadcasts reached 165 countries. The 2004 US Open will be held Monday, August 30 through Sunday, September 12. Tickets for the 2004 US Open can be purchased four ways: 1) at usopen.org; 2) by calling Ticketmaster at 1-866-OPEN-TIX; 3) at all Ticketmaster outlets; or 4) at the USTA National Tennis Center box office.

The USTA is the national governing body for the sport of tennis in the U.S. It owns and operates the US Open, the largest annually attended sporting event in the world. In addition, it owns the 96 Pro Circuit events throughout the U.S., and selects the teams for the Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Olympic and Paralympic Games. A not-for-profit organization with more than 675,000 members, it invests 100% of its proceeds to promote and develop the growth of tennis, from the grass roots to the professional levels. For more information on the USTA, log on to usta.com.

If its another Roddick-Federer Final, I sure wouldn't mind seeing Roddick win for once.

[ September 12, 2004, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
After a slow start to the match, Jennifer Capriati came roaring back to defeat Denisa Chladkova, 2-6, 6-1, 6-2, Monday at the US Open. Men's top seed Roger Federer had a much easier opening match, posting a 7-5, 6-2, 6-4 victory over Albert Costa. Other winners include Olympic silver medalist Mardy Fish, Carlos Moya, Amelie Mauresmo and Vera Zvonareva. There were three upsets on Day 1 of play, with No. 18 Karolina Sprem and No. 32 Meghann Shaughnessy falling in the women's draw and No. 27 Mario Ancic losing in the men's. Following tonight's Opening Night Ceremony, Serena Williams and Andre Agassi will headline play in Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Does anyone care about the US open?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
So, the thread's open, right?

So, uh...

...so, I can just come on in, right?

Should, should I knock first, or...just...

...oh.

Oh, c'mon in then?

Okay.

: D

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I do!

I played tennis (well, calling what I did tennis is generous... [Big Grin] ) in high school, many many moons ago...

Perhaps my favorite moment in sports is Jimmy Conners comeback to the semis in the US Open...I didn't have a TV at the time, so every morning I would rush to the gas sttion to see if he had won again... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

And?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

What happened? Did Frances kill them all....or am I the only one who cared...including you?
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm keeping an eye on Agassi and Hewitt. They're my favorites to win. I suppose Roddick or Federer are expected to take this year's title, but I'd rather see Agassi win a few more majors before he calls it quits.

Alas, my favorite player on the women's tour was eliminated today. Poor Anastasia Myskina. Go Sharapova!

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

How great would it be if Henman won? He certainly deserves at least one grand slam in his career.
Fitz
Member # 4803

Heh, yeah, but if he could only win one, then it has to be Wimbledon. With his current back aches, and the calibre of players he's up against, and the hard court not being his best surface, I think he's definitely a long shot.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It is Wimbledon or nothing for Henman...alway has been with his serve and volley game..

Kwea

[ September 02, 2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Ah. I see you don't suffer from Henmania quite yet [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

I wouldn't hold you breath for it, either...me getting hennamania, OR him winning the Open... [Big Grin]

But he is a GREAT serve and volleyer, and Wimbledon is always fun to watch with him in it.... [Big Grin]

amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, give the guy a break. Despite being a Brit he isn't my favourite player, but he really has stepped up his game this year and I think he's in with a shot - he played a really high-quality match against Golmard. Both of them pulled off some amazing shots.

I'd like to see Justine Henin-Hardenne do well, and also Sharapova. Sharapova really impressed me at Wimbledon.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Henman Advances After Kiefer Retires; Asagoe Reaches Quarters
Tim Henman advanced to the US Open quarterfinals for the first time in his career Monday, after Nicolas Kiefer retired in the fifth set of their match with a right wrist injury. Henman, who is celebrating his 30th birthday today, was leading the match, 6-7, 6-3, 6-1, 6-7, 3-0, when Kiefer's injury occurred.

Do you all feel the Henmania?

amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
GO TIM!!!!!!!!!
Watched most of it, didn't watch the fifth set because I was convinced he was going to lose! But no, he's in the last eight! WOOOHOOO!
Davenport vs Williams should be good too.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I watched most of it too, and he was playing better and better each set....I didn't see the 5 th because JenniK need to go to Wal-Mart, and i went too.

I still don't think he has a chance of winning, but I would love to be wrong.....

Kwea

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

In a three-set thriller, No. 8 Jennifer Capriati defeated No. 3 Serena Williams, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, to advance to the semifinals of the US Open where she will meet No. 6 Elena Dementieva, who eliminated No. 2 Amelie Mauresmo in a three-set tiebreak, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (1). Also on Tuesday, Tommy Haas advanced to his first US Open quarterfinal, with a 7-6, 6-1, 7-5 victory over Tomas Berdych. The unseeded German, who did not play at all last year due to a right shoulder injury, will next meet fourth seed Lleyton Hewitt. Hewitt, the 2001 US Open champion, was a straight-sets winner over Karol Beck earlier.

Roddick is playing right now, and I can't watch coz' I don't get USA [Cry]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
A "three-set thriller" with four atrocious calls against Williams, some of which were on key points. All four calls, by the way, were wrong.

They really need to give the umpires access to instant replays.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with twinky. I really felt bad for Serena, obviously, and the umpiress, because that amount of embarassment would suck.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

I didn't see the match, but I agree in general with umpires being allowed to see replays. There was one ridiculous moment in the Henman match where a serve was so far out that the machine didn't pick it up, and the umpire is not allowed to overrule the machine! So the serve was allowed to stand as an ace... how insane is that?

Some big matches today - Federer vs Agassi should be a classic, and I hope Henman comes through his.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Ahhhh, the umpire IS allowed to overrule the computer, as long as they are overuling it not going off....they aren't allowed to rule the other way.

If cyclopse goes off it is a fault no matter what...if it diesn't go off the chair judge or the line judge can call it out.

I didn't see the point, but I heard about some of the calls against Williams. Too bad, for both women. Now if Capriati wins there will be people who will claim she didn't deserve it, when none of the calls were her fault.

Kwea

[ September 08, 2004, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I feel for both of them. I saw the calls on Sportscenter last night...while a couple of them were close, the other two were, well, not.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
According to an interview with what's-his-face today, they've decided that that'll be the last game in the 2004 US Open that the chair umpress will be used in.

Also, rain sucks.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a big fan of replays on all sports. Of course it has to be done correctly, or it can mess up the pace of the game. Tennis they could easily check to see if a ball was on the line or not. Of course if there was not a clear angle, the call would stand. Swimming could use them to determine if illegal kicks were used.

Of course the NFL now using replays, and I think they have done a great job with it. Not only did it not take away from the game, the way they set it up actually adds more stratagy to the game. Even if you are sure a call is bad, you have to decide if you should challenge it or not, since you might miss out on a reall big bad call later in the game.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Davenport won her match...but who wouldn't be intimidated by a face like this:

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/h_davenport1_08.jpg

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. Look how her skin ripples when she hits the ball. Freaky!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*reads thread title* [Angst]

*reads thread*

Whew!

I thought ElJay and I were being kicked off Hatrack.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, that would never happen. You and ElJay are way too cool. [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

2001 US Open champion Lleyton Hewitt advanced to his first Grand Slam semifinal in two years Thursday, after notching a 6-2, 6-2, 6-2 victory over Germany's Tommy Haas in just an hour and 38 minutes. Hewitt, the tournament's fourth seed, has not dropped a set in his five matches here and extends his winning streak to 15 matches. He will next meet the winner of tonight's quarterfinal between Andy Roddick and Joachim Johansson. Earlier, Roger Federer advanced to the first US Open semifinal of his career, defeating Andre Agassi, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5, 3-6, 6-3. He will meet Tim Henman in Saturday's semifinals. Henman was a 6-1, 7-5, 5-7, 6-2 winner over Dominik Hrbaty.

Think he can beat Federer?

Fitz
Member # 4803

I think he can, but I don't think he will.

As for the rest of the men, I think Roddick will win the match against Johansson(sp?), and that Hewitt will beat Roddick in the semis.

I'm hoping for a Hewitt-Federer final in which Hewitt is the victor.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't know, Roddick is playing pretty impressive ball right now, he will be hard to beat.

I think Henman is done, though once again I would love to be wrong.

But I don't think I am.

Kwea

Fitz
Member # 4803

Granted, Roddick is playing impressively. Not only now, but for the last couple of years. But, then again, so is Hewitt. Neither one of them has had a real challenge, at least up until the quarters, and Hewitt pretty easily took care of Haas. Johansson might be harder for Roddick than Haas was for Hewitt.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

And ROddick loses....
Fitz
Member # 4803

Wow, what a match between Capriati and Dementieva. Capriati just couldn't keep any semblance of consistency, and she really showed her desperation whenever she lost a big point. All those break point chances are going to give her nightmares.

These Russian women are incredible. Not only are two of them in the women's final, they're both playing doubles as well. Kuznetsova has already made it to the women's final in both doubles and singles, and Dementieva gets to follow her win against Capriati with a semi-final double's match.

Tomorrow and Sunday should see some great tennis.

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Top seed Roger Federer captured the first US Open title of his career Sunday, defeating 2001 champion Lleyton Hewitt, 6-0, 7-6, 6-0, to become the first man to win three Grand Slam titles in one year since Mats Wilander in 1988. Federer, who halted US Open Series winner Hewitt's winning streak at 16 matches, is now 4-0 in Grand Slam finals and the first player to win back-to-back Wimbledon and US Open championships since Pete Sampras in 1995. With the victory, the Swiss No. 1 improves his Grand Slam record since the 2003 French Open to 32-2.

[Hail] [Hail] [Hail] Federer [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]

Too bad Henman didn't make it to the finals [Cry]

[ September 12, 2004, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Henman played better than usual here this year, though...

But I still told you so... [Evil]

amira tharani
Member # 182

Unbelievable. Federer is an absolute genius. I've always liked Hewitt and I think he's a great player but he just had no answer at all out there. He's not the kind of player you can just tank 6-0 in a grand slam final... twice! I have to be up in six hours for my first day of teacher training but I am so glad I stayed up to watch that.

[Hail] [Hail] Federer [Hail] [Hail] indeed!

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching Federer play is just... indescribable. And he's only my age... he might even get BETTER! [Eek!]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.