FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Home (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Home
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
..... I never really looked at those Kamacon threads because by the time I did it was too late for me to go.. but i'm guessing by this thread you had a pretty good time.. i'm sorry it's over.

-Jack Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Kama* Miss ya!

So, when are you coming here next year? [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Dunno. When's KamaCon 2?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd BETTER be after I get back!!!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I think the answer to my question might lead to the answer to yours, Kama. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Who knows? Maybe next year I can attend.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
It was nice to meeet you Kama. I'm glad you made it back safely.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] three.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait! That wasn't in the plan! We were supposed to kidnap you and keep you here from now on! What went wrong? Did Frisco mess up or something? What a foolish boy!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought America seemed a little down this morning.

Now I know why.

Kama, it was so great to meet you. I hope you'll come back soon and marry some guy to get your green card so you can stay for good.

Thanks for the wonderful treats from Poland.

And Eduardo, if you come we'll have to have EduardoCon!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, I'm glad you made it back safely, and that I got a chance to meet you. [Smile] It was fun... And you know KamaCon 2 will happen whenever you (and your wallet) are ready for it!

EduardoCon! That's a great idea, Bob. Eduardo, Kama brought us Polish chocolate when she came...

[ August 29, 2004, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww [Frown]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] but I'm glad you made it back safe. Hope you can come back and see us again in the not too distant future. We loves the Kama (or the K.A.M.A. as the case may be [Big Grin] )
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with calling it EduardoCon is that it wouldn't indicate that it was the second Con of its type. Perhaps we could call it "KamaCon II: This Time, It's Eduardo!"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
KamaCon II: The Appearance of Eduardo!

KamaCon II: This time it's multi-national!

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

It is weird how my bed does not seem mine after all this time.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Well, we're still glad you made it home safely. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
KamaCon II: A Multinational Affair
Prove Your Existence...Again!

--

Loved meeting you, Kama! [Wave]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[Wave]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I'd been able to come, Kama--maybe next time I'll actually make it. Are you going to post any kind of Kamacon journal type thing, or anything of the sort? If you do you know you'll have three or four forums worth of avid readers. I think that Tom's right, and that future Hatracons featuring (and revolving around) the visit of non-US Hatrackers to the US pretty much have to be called Kamacons, regardless of who the guest of honor is.

Hmmm...

Who are all of our non-US hatrackers, and where are they from?

ae - Singapore, I believe
amira - England
Anna - France
Bob the Lawyer – Canadian
Corwin - Switzerland? France? Help me out here folks.
digging_holes – Canadian
Eduardo - Brazil
enjeeo - Australian
Ethics Gradient - Australia
Eaque Legit - Canadian
Fahim - Sri Lanka
Ginette - Netherlands
imogen - Australia
Jaiden – Canadian
Jebus - Ireland
Kama, obviously - Poland
Kate Emily - "Poland/USA"
King of Men - Someplace Northern European, I think, probably Scandanavian, but I'm not sure where exactly, off the top of my head.
Lissande - Czech Republic
maui babe - Hawaii
Raia - Israel
Scythrop – Australia
solo - Canadian
surveyor (although let's face it, he hasn't posted in about 5 years--he isn't coming back) - Czech Republic, was it? Anybody remember? Someplace Eastern European, anyway.
Teshi - Canada
Tristan – Sweden
Trondheim - Norway
Troubador - Australia
tt&t - New Zealand
twinky - Canada
Tzadik - Czech Republic
quidscribs - Sri Lanka
Verily the Younger - Alaska
Zotto - Hawaii

Who else? I know I'm forgetting people. There's a woman from the netherlands or something, name starts with a "G"--Ginny? Gina? No, niether of those is it--whose name is escaping me at the moment, and I know that there are others.

[Edited to correct tt&t's nationality. If other people come up with names and nationalities, or can correct mistakes I've made, I'll update the list to reflect it]

[Edited to add more people, and to alphabetize them. Once I've got something approaching a completed list I'll probably organize them by nationality.]

[ August 30, 2004, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Noem, are you trying to tick off tt&t? [Wink] She's NOT an Aussie -- she's a Kiwi. [Big Grin]
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe. Two weeks after Kamacon, and here we are, discussing another con...

(((Kama))) I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. I know that if you ever decide to visit again, many doors will be open for you to stay. It was a pleasure to meet you, and I'm still snacking on some of those wonderful treats you brought us. ::is convinced that foreign chocolate is the best::

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama:

quote:

posted August 29, 2004 01:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is weird how my bed does not seem mine after all this time

Well, that is what you get for hopping in and out of beds so often... [Big Grin]

Who's bed would you rather be in, that is the questions we REALLY want to know... [Evil]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks rivka! I've corrected the list. Anybody think of the people I'm forgetting?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
digging_hooles and Jaiden are Canadian, I believe.
Tristan is from Sweden?
Ginette may be who you were trying to think of.
Scythrop (sp?) is also from Australia.

*ponders*

That's all I can think of for now...

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Were you thinking of ginette (and isn't she French)? And isn't Jebus in Ireland? Is Anna also from France?

[Edit -- Oops, didn't see that Anna was already on the list.]

[ August 29, 2004, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
raia's in israel.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm (nearly) Canadian [Big Grin]

EDIT: I think Corwin was in Romania, then he moved to France.

[ August 29, 2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
so that's why it's so grey here today.

[Frown]

Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I am Canadian, as is BtL and Twinky... I'm sure there are others of us that I can't think of right now [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Okay, I've added the names listed so far, and have alphabetized them. Once we've got something approaching a complete list, I'll organize it by country, but for now an alphabetized list seems like an easier thing to search through to see if someone has been listed yet or not.

Am I correct in thinking that Raia is an American, who just happens to be over in Israel right now? If that's the case I won't put her, unless she's moved there permenantly (or for the next year or so, whatever [Smile] ).

Who was it that started posting, and then very shortly thereafter up and moved to...Sri Lanka, was it?, to marry somebody she'd met online? He posted for a little while too. Anybody remember their names?

Also, who was it that went to S. Korea to teach ESL, anybody remember? A regular, but his name is escaping me at the moment. Started with an "M", I believe.

Where is Odouls from? For some reason I want to say that he's a Brit, although I'm nearly sure I'm wrong.

[ August 29, 2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Though my vote should count minimally (if at all), since I am a non-attender, I'd vote to name future conventions after the incoming guest, too. If Eduardo were to visit, for example, it would be neat to have the focus on Eduardo and Eduardo-things (country dancing, as per the pictures! [Smile] ) , just as was done for Kama. Part of what made this one so neat was that it was so Kama-centered, and that made it quite special for her as well as us.

I'd like to see a whole event centered on Jaiden, on Anna, on Troubs ... and I think it might be more of an incentive to make the trip. [Big Grin] But that's just one other perspective, you know.

PS: my Dave is essentially in another world, so his name should be off. [Frown] Thanks for remembering him, though.

And you must have been thinking of Ginette, yes?

quidscribis authored Dear Hatrack, I'm getting married and moving to Sri Lanka

[ August 29, 2004, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Okay Sara, I've removed mister boy for you. With regret, but what can you do?

Do you remember where Ginette lives? You're right in thinking that that was who I was thinking of.

Hey, do you have dual citizenship, being married to a Canadian and all?

Noemon
Member # 1115

Right, quidscribs! I couldn't recall her name for the life of me!

quidscribs and her husband, Fahim, have been added to the list.

I know that we've got other people in France, but they haven't posted much lately, and I'm having trouble remembering their names.

[ August 29, 2004, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I initially thought Ginette was in the US, but now I'm not sure. Maybe I can search for it.

I have US citizenship and he has Canadian citizenship. He also holds a (renewable) Permanent Resident status in the US, and I am eligible to apply for Landed Immigrant status in Canada (both of these permit us to retain our original citizenship). Dave was born to a man who was born in the US, though the son of Canadian parents, so if his father hadn't resigned his American citizenship at the time of the Korean War, Dave would have had dual citizenship.

It's all very complicated, and it required many offerings to the immigration attorney to straighten out. [Smile] (Her name is Glorilee, and she's very very good.)

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Interesting!

Hey, I still owe you an email, don't I?

Noemon
Member # 1115

Ginette is from the Netherlands, according to her profile. I've edited the list accordingly.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

emails, shmemails. (Not to say shemales, you understand. A different kettle of fish.) Someday we'll catch up. As I recall, I owed you first, re: Hmong issues with opthamologic surgery.

Gee, you're nowhere near as behind as I am. You're just a little tyke on the Behinders Scale.

I really want an imogenCon. And I miss Anna and Ginette.

Kate Emily lists "Poland/USA" in her profile.

Didn't PrimalCurve host a page way back with a map of everyone's location at the time?

[ August 29, 2004, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]

I know I'm not outstanding and I tend to be rather invisible (the ideal spy, ha ha) but I would like to be included on the list...

I'm Teshi and I live in Canada

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I was just getting ready to point that out, Teshi. [Wave] I was double-checking in the background.

And I think the list wants "enjeeo" instead of "eenjo" -- I think of her as "NGO," though I don't know if that has anything to do with the real derivation of her nomiker.

Trondheim hasn't been around for awhile, but he was from Norway, I think.

We should count out Hawaii and Alaska members, too, like maui babe and Verily the Younger. Anyone coming from non-continental US areas should be deemed Con-worthy, in my opinion. (Note, though, that it's a small and easily-trounced opinion.)

[ August 29, 2004, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

The behinders' scale?

Heh.

-Trevor

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I'm pretty big on the Behinders Scale. [Big Grin]
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ya know, I was even trying to behave myself. [Taunt]

-Trevor

rivka
Member # 4859

Raia is an Israeli who has spent a large chunk of her life in the UK and the US, and is now in Israel for the year.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Okay, I've updated the list to reflect all the suggestions/submissions/corrections entered thus far.

quote:
emails, shmemails. (Not to say shemales, you understand. A different kettle of fish.)
I wonder how many times we'll have to put "shemales" into this thread before Google starts giving us some very...interesting ads at the bottom of the page? [Smile]

quote:
Someday we'll catch up. As I recall, I owed you first, re: Hmong issues with opthamologic surgery.
Actually, you owe me one even older than that--remember way back when when we were talking about China Mountain Zhang, and I asked you why you thought that Maureen McHugh had had one of the characters get raped? I remember that the first couple of readings it had seemed really discordant to me, completely out of line with the rest of the book, but after my most recent reread I'd thought that I understood why she'd included it. Of course, I have no idea now what my theory was, but I'm sure it'll come to mind next time I reread that one. It's about due for a reread, now that you (or I) mention it.

quote:
I really want an imogenCon. And I miss Anna and Ginette.
Yeah, and imogenCon would be a lot of fun, wouldn't it? All of the various "con" possibilities sound like an enormously good time, if you ask me. I miss Ginette too, but Anna's still posting here fairly frequently. She officially left for about a week or so, and then was sucked back in.

quote:
Didn't PrimalCurve host a page way back with a map of everyone's location at the time?
Was that Primal Curve? Somehow I thought that it was somebody else...maybe Geoff, as A Rat Named Dog?

quote:
I know I'm not outstanding and I tend to be rather invisible (the ideal spy, ha ha) but I would like to be included on the list...
You're Canadian Teshi? I had no idea! You are neither invisible nor typical in any way Teshi, I just didn't know that you weren't from the States! Don't run yourself down--you're far too cool and interesting a person for that!

quote:
And I think the list wants "enjeeo" instead of "eenjo" -- I think of her as "NGO," though I don't know if that has anything to do with the real derivation of her nomiker.
Damn! Why do I always get her name wrong? Seriously, it was less than a month ago that someone else corrected me on the spelling of her name.

quote:
Trondheim hasn't been around for awhile, but he was from Norway, I think.
Eh, I don't care how long they've been gone--maybe it will just so happen that they're lurking, and this thread'll be the catalyst that drives them to begin posting again.

quote:
We should count out Hawaii and Alaska members, too, like maui babe and Verily the Younger. Anyone coming from non-continental US areas should be deemed Con-worthy, in my opinion. (Note, though, that it's a small and easily-trounced opinion.)
I absolutely agree! Who else do we have in Alaska? I know that there's at least one other, maybe more. Hmmmm...

Oh, and your opinion is small, and easily trounced? Are we talking about the same Sara Sasse here? The one whose opinion I value so much that if she says something that's out of line with my thinking on a subject I automatically carefully reevaluate my thoughts (and no, this isn't an exaggeration, a joke, an attempt at brown nosing, or anything else--it's simply the truth).

On that note, I've decided that you're right about naming the international cons after the person they're being held in honor of. I still like the whole tradition aspect of naming them all kamacon--plus, it would be a new hatrackmeme to confuse the newbies with, which is always fun--but you're right, for all the reasons you outlined.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want an imogenCon too. [Big Grin]

Nice to know I'm wanted. [Smile]

Given that my soon to be sister-in-law and her husband have moved to America and don't look like they're coming back anytime soon, I imagine I will be travelling to the US well within the next 2 years.

And if any of you still want to meet me by then... imogenCon 2005!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
Who's bed would you rather be in, that is the questions we REALLY want to know...
Now, isn't that obvious?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.