FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can't sleep, too anxious I guess (Post Trip Update)

Author Topic: Can't sleep, too anxious I guess (Post Trip Update)
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Jatraqueros adieu, adieu. I just woke up and I have several hours to kill before I hit the road for Northern Minnesota. My father and I will be driving to Minneapolis today and staying across from the Mall of America. Monday we will pick-up my best friend from high school and his dad and trek to International Falls, MN. We have rented a houseboat from Northernaire Houseboats for 4 days of fishing and relaxation.

This will be a re-creation of a trip that my father took us (my best friend, Martin, and I) on as a high school graduation gift 25 years ago. I'm very excited and am hopeful that the fishing will be excellent as well as the weather. I will have to fight my Hatrack addiction but I think I will survive. Wishing you all a stellar week and I'll post my experiences once I return.
[The Wave]

[ September 06, 2004, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Wizz hatrack's name in the sand for us!....

I mea-..... Uh...

.... ..

... sorry.

-Jack Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
punwit -- if you're still on and read this before you leave -- have fun! Have a great trip! You know I will be sitting here green with envy for all those lunkers you're going to catch.

You had BETTER take some photos to share with us later!

My kids say to be sure to check out the Jigsaw Puzzle store (that's not the name of it, but I don't remember the name) in Mall of American (they just went to MOA this summer on the way back from Mission trip. We still have a photo-mosiac puzzle on my dining room table we have been working on for weeks.

Be safe!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, sound like fun. Have a good time and stay safe!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Take lots of pictures, bring back lots of stories, and HAVE A GREAT TIME! [Wave]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the name of the houseboat rental place as "Nightmare Houseboats" and thought why would anyone rent from a place that advertises that it'll serve up a nightmare vacation?

Oh well.

Have fun! Catch a walleye for us!

Just remember to smoke a fish, you have to have really big rolling papers.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh! Why didn't you post your travel plans before! I am, like, 5 miles from the Mall of America! Would have loved to meet you & your dad for lunch, if you had the time open for something that would not be part of the orignial trip recreation. [Wink]

Anyway, if you happen to log on from one of kiosks in the mall for one last Hatrack Hit, give me a call. 728-9682, same area code you'll be in.

Oh, and, have a great time! [Wave]

Edit: Okay, for some reason I was thinking Iowa to MN, not Kansas to MN. Obviously, you won't be here for lunch. But there's at least 3 brewpups in a 5 mile radius, as well...

[ August 29, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Punwit,
I hope you will be thinking of Noah, and all the boat-related puns, on your trip.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww.. [Frown] Evil non-informer...

But have fun anyhow!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
give me a call. 728-9682, same area code you'll be in.

Now if only that guy who was horrible at hitting on you could read that.... [Big Grin]

Wait, that could be anyone.... [Taunt]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I made it home yesterday safe and sound (barely). Dad and I as well as my friend Martin and his father had a good time relaxing and enjoying the outdoors and good company. The fishing wasn't great but the weather was nice.

Dad and I left home on Sunday and drove to Minneapolis where we rented a motel across from the Mall of America. I had done a bit of research and we were going to visit the Town Hall Brewery for dinner. Armed with directions we navigated unfamiliar streets to the aforementioned establishment only to discover that it was closed that day. Oh well, back to the Mall of America for a quite good Yankee Pot Roast dinner.

Monday dawned and Dad and I browsed The Mall for several hours while we waited to pick up Martin and George from the Airport. We particularly enjoyed the massage chairs at The Sharper Image and The Brookstone stores. After viewing the wildlife at Hooters, Dad and I proceeded to the airport and picked up the Graventsteins. Northward to Cloquet, MN. Martin fired up his laptop and I discovered that I missed the chance for dinner with Eljay. Bummer! Got my thinking cap on and figured out a way to set up a dinner get together for the return trip.

Tuesday found us back on the road and roughly 3 hours from Rainy Lake where we would board our houseboat. By midafternoon we were on the large and island choked lake and heading for our first portage. Rainy lake is large enough that you need charts and the ability to use a compass. Fortunately Martin also had a GPS which helped immensely. Tieing up for the night is achieved by nosing the boat into designated area's and tieing off to trees on either side. The rope is attached to the back of the boat and makes a roughly trapezoidal like anchoring figure.

Wednesday we looked for another area to move to ( fishing was not good) The wind was picking up and we had difficulty finding a portage area that was leeward. We had to settle for a windward area and we tied off. Unfortunately the tree on the windward side was too small and with 25 mph winds the boat was in danger off uprooting our land anchor. We decided to move the boat to another area but the boat wouldn't start. After much haggling over the radio we convinced the base that we needed a new battery and they sent someone out to help us. We all slept much easier after we moved the boat and tied off to stauncher (?) trees.

Thursday was less windy and got fairly warm. Still no luck fishing but I did get some nice photo's that I'll try to make a few of available.

Friday we moved again so that we could get back to base early on Saturday morning. The houseboats only manage about 5 miles and hour so we planned accordingly. Friday was the only day we caught any fish and only one of those was worthy of cleaning. We quartered a 2 lb. Pike that night for dinner.

Saturday we returned to base and settled up. Four days on the boat including supplies and fuel cost us $550.00 per person which I think was well worth the money. We returned to Minneapolis and dropped off the Gravensteins and went in search of a motel. Labor day Weekend made it a bit problematic since the first 2 places we tried were all booked. Finally for about 2x what we payed last week we booked a room in a Hilton suite. Nice rooms if a bit more than we needed. We cleaned up (Eljay and Claudia deserved this much) and proceeded to Herkimers for a lovely dinner with those two engaging ladies.

Sunday was misty and muggy and we got on the road about 8:00. Some complete idiot nearly hit us. This ignorant toad was entering the hiway and never looked at me. Luckily I was watching him and I still had to stand on the brakes to avoid him hitting us. I was quite scared as well as thankful that we were able to avoid an accident. Lunchtime in Des Moines at a Quiznoes another idiot tried to dart into a parking space as I was backing out. Thank God I'm home safe and sound. [Wave]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Welcome back!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a wonderful trip even if the fishing wasn't great. I can't wait for pictures.

Claudia?

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Claudia's a friend of mine... we were going out later in the evening, so I brought her along for dinner. She's not a hatracker... yet....
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.