FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bloody idiot colleague

Author Topic: Bloody idiot colleague
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Arrgh. Now, look : I'm perfectly willing to help out with programming issues; C++ can be difficult to learn at the best of times. But a man who insists on giving two different variables the same name, and then won't even show enough initiative to put some "cout << "Line 1" statements to find out where the crash occurs - well, let's just say that my sympathy begins to get limited.

But calling me up, at 20:00 on a Saturday, to ask that I send an email with instructions on how to make something compile? That's Just Not On. He couldn't, say, send me an email with the error log attached? Or better still, ask our supervisor, who is in the same physical location? Oh, no, he has to know that I will send him this deathly important email first thing on Monday.

And by the way, I gave him this stuff Friday of last week. How come he doesn't know until now that it won't compile?

[/rant]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You make it sound like there is such a thing as a bloody non-idiot colleague.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in fact I do work with some fairly pleasant and bright people. But this guy is bloody annoying. He eats with his mouth open, too, and makes loud chewing noises. I am not kidding here.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Or he could always use breakpoints and gdb [Wink] .

So . . . does your company have an opening for a programmer [Razz] ?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Not a company, University of Cincinnati. Graduate physics. And yes, there are always openings. Especially if I don't have to hold your hand to teach you C++, not that my opinion counts for very much.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, might be good to get my undergraduate first [Wink] . Oh well, I'm working on that (going to zip through the required coursework for an Informatics degree in about two years).

And yes, I know my C++ . . . but wow, that's not even C++ knowledge he's messing up, that's basic principles of clear coding.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But calling me up, at 20:00 on a Saturday, to ask that I send an email with instructions on how to make something compile? That's Just Not On. He couldn't, say, send me an email with the error log attached? Or better still, ask our supervisor, who is in the same physical location?
Maybe he just values you more than everyone else. You are, in fact, the King of Men.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.