FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Tom Davidson, space hero"

Author Topic: "Tom Davidson, space hero"
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay Tom, I don't want to derail the other thread where you mention this.

But I was [ROFL] picturing you as a child saying this.

So give us more graphic detail. Did you have a costume? What did the spaceship look like in your mind's eye?

I really want to know! I love imagination...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom says that they did have a slogan, but sadly no costume. He doesn't remember much else. They used frisbees as weapons. *giggle*

The spaceship was the playground equipment -- the ones with the wheel on the top, curved bars, cross-bridge, firepole and a horizantal spinning platform that they would send someone whenever they needed to go into hyperspace to get to Neptune (or between planets). You'd have to come out of hyperspace, though, to engage in battle with the pirates.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
This is just fabulous.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the thread in question, but this sounds like an excellent title for a movie.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tom Lightyear! To Infinity and Beyond!"

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
He was such a cool kid. Heh, my favorite form of entertainment as a kid was whacking each other with sticks while pretending to be Power Rangers. He was launching into hyperspace.

This might explain why Tom's the success story between us...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that Tom and I would have gotten along fameously as children--this was exactly the sort of thing I played at recess, although I'll admit that I didn't have a slogan. I pretty much split my time between living in a fantasy world in which I was a roguish but ultimately kind hearted independent spaceship captain trying to survive in the smouldering remains of a once-great galaxy-spanning empire, and a more various but equally complex super-hero based fantasy world. For the latter I wore costumes, but not for the former.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy says that, as a kid, she and her friends would pretend that the ground had turned into lava and would have to cross the room by climbing over things. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! We did that, too!

Almost as much fun as throwing dirt bombs at girls... [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that game! Did she also play the "this balloon is a bomb, and if it is in contact with anything for more than a second it will explode and kill us all"? Or how about "The grocery store has a secret chamber beneath it filled with ravenous crocodiles, and if I don't walk in a precise pattern, stepping on only certain tiles in certain orders, patches of the floor will collapse dumping me into their gaping maws"? Those were fun.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a little girl, oh so long ago, and we drove through the woods from Jay to Lake Placid, NY, my Great Aunt Fran would tell me all about the lions and other jungle animals she saw. It was a pretend safari, but you know what? I still see those animals the same way in my imagination!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I use to use frisbees too, sort of like they did in Tron. We found out the "hard" way that you couldn't throw it straight at each other, not from up close....it hurt!

So we made dueling rules...you had to bounce it off the pavement first. You could block with the frisbee, but not catch it (unlike dodgeball), and you could only take 3-5 steps (depending who was playing) without throwing.

My friend Todd and I got so many kids palying it that it was more popular that dogeball...for about 2 months.

Then some idiot threw it at someones head...and knocked out a tooth.

After that, no more playing it...at least at recess.

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.