FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Bright college days and back-breaking nights

Author Topic: New column: Bright college days and back-breaking nights
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Bright college days and back-breaking nights

Like many others these past weeks I've spent hour after painful hour clearing away debris, hauling trash, dealing with the lack of clean clothing, throwing away armfuls of spoiled food, and generally just trying to make the place habitable again. I'm exhausted.

Hurricane Charley? No, no. I cleaned out my son's room.

He started sophomorifying at the University of Central Florida this week. And, for the first time in his life, he's completely on his own. Well, he's completely on his own with three other guys who are also completely on their own, but he no longer lives at home.

Let me take a moment to savor that last bit. Ah. OK, I'm good now.

[ August 25, 2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to campaign for more space for your column, Chris.

Or I can do it it for you. . .

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that was great!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a great column Chris.

Now tell me the secret -- how did you convince your son to move out? (asked by a mom with a university junior still living at home....) [Big Grin]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] I loved it Chris. My mother even had a good laugh. She's just waiting on one more to leave out of the three of us. However, only one (me) has moved out of the house. The otherside is true too. He misses you guys as well. Although he probably won't admit to it.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Convince? For the last ten years or so he's been living in close quarters with his little brother. If he had gone to a college a block away, he'd have wanted to move out.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm.... well, that's not working here.. and he has a little brother too

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
great column chris. You continue to amaze me with the complete honesty, humor and awesomeness that make up each of your columns.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mother even had a good laugh. She's just waiting on one more to leave out of the three of us. However, only one (me) has moved out of the house.
Can I assume you're at home with your mom right now? Part of moving out is going away sometime. [Wink]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can I assume you're at home with your mom right now? Part of moving out is going away sometime.
I am on vacation right now. [Big Grin] This is the second time I have been home this year. I have yet to be home for christmas . I have missed 6 of them so far in a row and will not be going home for this year's. Kind of hard to work in CA and live at home w/ mom when she lives in MI. [Razz]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

My son is home again tonight to pick up some more stuff, coincidentally around dinner time.

With this and with instant messaging, I'm talking with him more often now that he's gone than I did when he was here...

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
How perfect! So many of my friends are at this point in their lives. It is a happy-sad thing.

My friend's son used to sleep with his computer components, so I got an especially big chuckle over that.

I both imagine and dread that moment in my life. You captured what so many people feel so perfectly. I love you articles.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.