FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to pronounce "Edvard Munch"

Author Topic: How to pronounce "Edvard Munch"
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's hard to switch into Norwegian mode, just pretend it's spelled "Moonk."

The name is never, ever pronounced to rhyme with "bunch," even if you are a commentator for the BBC.

That is all.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I even pronounce it that way.

Thanks!

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

The funny thing is, the word "munch" is one of the three words I hate with the heat of a thousand suns, and it never occured to me that Munch was spelled the exact same way.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What are the other two?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

yummy-tummy-nummy (all the same word as far as I'm concerned)

crit (a truncated form of "critique)

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly one of them is "tummy."

space opera

edit: Hah! I'm good

[ August 23, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Hee hee. Apparently I've ranted on this subject before.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the term "lit-crit", but then assonance has never been my cup of tea, at least when it's so clumsy and obvious.

Yummy I won't even dignify by considering it a word.

Munch--eh, I don't care for it, but I don't cringe everytime I hear it. It's on the same level as "gobs" is for me.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

My problem with "crit" is that it takes such a lovely French word and truncates it into something sounding very vulgarly Anglo-Saxon.

quote:
I haven't eaten in two days! What’s left to puke? (aside) You may remark that my vocabulary has taken a turn for the Anglo-Saxon...God, I'm going to barf my brains out.

[ August 23, 2004, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it's hard to switch into Norwegian mode, just pretend it's spelled "Moonk."
Yes, but keep the "oo" sound really short.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Anglo Saxon words are awesome, though. They are so expressive. Lewis Carroll in his nonsense poetry often chose the Anglo-Saxon-y-est words and they come off great. One of the great things about English is we often have two words for the same thing, one originally derived from Latin (often via French) and the Anglo-Saxon one. So like pig/swine, we get our choice of which to use in any context based on all the different yummy connotations and associations each one has. I am fond of kid words too, and words that are onomatopoetic in some bizarre way like yummy and cimminum. I think I just like words. Yummy, juicy words. Num-num! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

You wound me.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Only really snotty, overbred Oslo people would pronounce it as if spelled "Moonk." The rest of the country pronounces it as if spelled "Monk," with the 'o' midway between 'strong' and 'flunk', and very short.

Well, in fact, the majority pronounce it 'that painter guy, what's-his-name, you know, painted 'The Scream', on the tip of my tongue..."

[ August 23, 2004, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: King of Men ]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
ak: That post made me smile. You win!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that I have very few words for which I have developed any particular emotion. If I had to pick a word to hate I think it would have to be "No".

Edit to add a missing "o", develped didn't sound right. Perhaps I could muster up some dislike for that non-word.

[ August 23, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.