FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dead Like Me

Author Topic: Dead Like Me
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody familiar with this show? What do you think of it? I rented the premier of it yesterday, and found it watchable, if not nearly as interesting as I'd hoped it would be. I'm not sure if I'll bother renting the rest of the season or not.

How does this show progress? What are the weekly plots like? Do the characters develop much?

I thought that it was interesting that a lot of the funnier, more satisfying parts, as well as the parts that answered questions I had, were all in the deleted scenes section of the DVD. Talk about leaving your best material on the cutting room floor.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear them talk about this show over and over on NPR. They just don't get tired of talking about it.

But I've never seen any of it. [Dont Know]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Really? On which show? I listen to NPR all the time, and don't recall ever having heard about it before. What do they generally say about it?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like it a lot. The show was originally created by Bryan Fuller, the co-creator of WONDERFALLS - he did, however, as I understand, leave ehavy duties on the show early in the season.

The Pilot was a good introduction, but I think the show does really progress. The first season is a lot about Georgia coping with her 'early end', as well as her family in the wake of things. Delores Herbig (as in "Her Big Brown Eyes") becomes more of a sympathetic/pathetic character who takes upon herself the responsibility of looking out for Georgia's wellbeing, even when she herself has major emotional issues.

And then there are the Assignments. Through the course of the season, we found out many elements of the other Reapers' backstories, who they were before they died. One of the first set of Reapers leaves the show after the first few, and another takes her place.

Georgia has to deal with the fact that just as things seem to be working out for her, something happens to take it away.

It's all poigniant, funny, and very endearing. Mandy Patinkin's 'Rube' is absolutely brilliant.

[ August 23, 2004, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the first season of the show and I enjoyed it. I did not think it was an amazing show...but it was quirky and amusing. I no longer have showtime, so I have not scene any of the second season...but I will likely rent the DVD's from netflix once they come out. I don't think the show is worth getting showtime if you don't already have it...but if you have showtime it is worth tuning into (at least the first season was...I have not seen the second season, so I can't comment on it.)
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's one of the shows that I hear in the afternoon. Probably Fresh Air.

I've probably gotten really lucky and just happened to be listening every time they talk about it. It's like how I always see part of the same episode of SG-1. It's a knack.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
I just added it to our netflix rental queue over the weekend. How very coincidental.

I don't know anything about it, but the same people who recommended Sex and the City and Alias recommended it. They have good taste.

Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, that explains it. I love Fresh Air, but I don't get to hear it as often as I'd like.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Is that you celia?
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
no, it's the other person who'd tie an educational accomplishment to a doctor who reference and then not bother to tell anyone who she was. [Smile]
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I thought as much. [Smile]

If you'd really wanted to be subtle, though, you'd have taken the name "Roger Delgado". Then you and I would probably have been the only people who got it.

the master
Member # 6788

i'll try to be more subtle next time. actually, i could manage to squeeze more references in if i do it just right.

mua ha ha

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.