FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sacred-- the video game

Author Topic: Sacred-- the video game
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Downloaded the demo this morning, I'm going to try to burn it, take it home and play it tomorrow.

Has anyone played this? What do you think of it?

Sacred

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks interesting. How would you classify it? Is it more of a Baldur's Gate style RPG, or more of a Diabalo type thing? Or am I reading it wrong, and it's actually a RTS game or something?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Not too bad. It's very much like Diablo, with some neat gameplay innovations, but didn't catch my interest as much.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Eh. I wasn't a huge Diablo fan. It seemed really cool at first, but I was pretty tired of it by the time I beat it. I prefer something more along the lines of Baldur's Gate or Morrowind in terms of depth of role playing experience. Or better yet, Planescape: Torment.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That said, I got the expansion pack (really it's more of a refinment on the original game, and doesn't require the original to run) for Jagged Alliance 2 over the weekend, and while I haven't had time to even get past the first firefight, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Scott R
Member # 567

It does play very much like a diablo clone; the 'innovation' are the combo moves that the player is able to define.

I don't like the class-lock that many CRPGs force on players (or for that matter, that RPG's force on players), and Sacred seems to follow that line.

We'll see. I don't even know if it will run on my home pc; I've played it a bit on a friend's computer, but not for more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That was one of the things I really liked about Morrowind (the lack of class-lock, that is).
Scott R
Member # 567

Me too, Noemon.

There were very few things I didn't like about Morrowind-- well, beyond the graphics requirements.

FUN game. Are they ever going to come out with a multiplayer version?

What I long for is a game in which a player's ethical decisions matter-- there's been some chatter that Fairy Tale will do this, but I haven't heard anything on that game for MONTHS.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I would absolutely *love* to see a game that successfully worked that in.
Noemon
Member # 1115

There were lots of little things I'd have liked to see in Morrowind that weren't there (I think I detailed those in one of the Morrowind threads a year or so ago), but in the end, there were two major factors that dampened my enthusiasm for the game. One was that once my character had reached all of the attribute and skill ceilings, there was no point in leveling up. The other was that once my character had gotten that powerful, no combat in the game was challenging. I think I defeated the great lord sunflower (I can't remember his real name, but I thought of him as El Seed) in three or four blows. No challenge at all. Now, I realize that those two gripes are kind of at cross purposes, but there you go.
Scott R
Member # 567

Here's a concept:

A CRPG that starts out standard-- character strives to become great through adventure, etc.

As his power and influence grow, he gets the choice to turn the game into a fantasy strategy game (ala Warcraft) as the lord of a burgeoning society, OR continue adventuring on his lonesome.

The big thing that bugged me about Morrowind is that after you got your stronghold, you still personally had to go out adventuring for your clan.

Nonsense. Send in the peons.

[ August 23, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.