FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Possible summer trip... next summer

Author Topic: Possible summer trip... next summer
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who were looking at the summer camping thread, I had mentioned the possibility of hosting at my family's cabin in the catskill mountains. I was just there, poking my nose around... some details.

Yes, a hatrack gathering there would be feasible. The cabin can sleep three couples (the fold out couch is in a public area...) and there are 4 single beds, two of which are also in a public area. There is room for 2-3 tents on the property.

If water is working properly (and if we were to have this at teh cabin, I would head up both weekends prior to make sure things are in good shape), then 2-3 people could shower in the cabin, but we'd definetely have water for cleaning, cooking if we eat there, and minor stuff like that.

THere is a pool. I doubt we will open it next year, but that won't be determined til feburary. It has not been opened since 1999.

The cabin is within 1 hour drive of river tubing, mountain day hikes, great trout fishing, a game farm (with feeding of the baby animals. great for children aged 6-90, i've been there about 7 times, and loved feeding the baby goats every time), a water park, and a couple other attractions.

There are hotels in the vicinity, where those less rugged could rent rooms, and we could hold a room for those who need daily showers. There is also a camp ground a 3 minute drive from the base of the driveway to the cabin. They rent out a couple cabins, and tent spaces. Right on the Esopus river.

So... its feasible. I do not yet know if its practical for my family to host this. Please post if this would interest you. The cabin is 130 miles from NYC and 70 miles from Albany.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
It is also near that good pizza place you mentioned, right? I'm in!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
BABY ANIMALS!!!

I mean... That sounds very nice [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good to me. [Smile]

Who wants to share a hotel room? kat?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmMMMMmmm hiking and camping
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Baby goats? Hmmmmm.

I am certainly interested. What would it take to make this practical for your family? For instance, will there be considerable expense involved in getting the cabin ready? At KamaCon we all pitched in $10 towards the hospitality room and first night's pizza... if we're staying somewhere for a week, I think it would be perfectly reasonable for us all to send you 20 bucks via paypal in advance to help with expenses. So if the practicalities are ones that can be helped by throwing money at them, would that do it?

[ August 22, 2004, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
great trout fishing,
OH! This makes me so there! Is this really a possibility for next year? Would also give me an excuse to trek over to NYC to visit my cousin.....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Please please please please PLEASE late-ish in the summer, so I can actually come this time!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Latish in the summer would be necessary for me, too, as I will be taking time off work for Dana & Bob's wedding and would like some space between vacations. [Smile] Plus, it would be nice to spread the hatrack gatherings out a bit.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this is really possible.

The big concerns for my family aren't the expenses... we open the cabin up in late may or early june every year. If we were to do this, I would spend extra time getting the place in shape... dusting and cleaning and such, as well as making sure that the water system is in solid shape and the gas tank is full, etc.

Right now, the cabin is not being used very much... my brother and I are in line to inherit, but too financially insecure as of yet to take care of the cabin on a regular basis. My grandfather no longer can really take care of it, and since my grandmother died, my aunt and uncle don't enjoy being up there. So, basically, instead of being used 4 days out of every week during the summer, it is used 10 nights during the summer. It just means the place needs help...

So, in one sense, it would be great to do this. It would mean that the place is alive and kicking, and having people around would brighten it up.

In another sense, it will be very difficult for my family, possibly, because it HASN'T been used much since 1999.

The practicalities are that, I would probably need to open the pool, which means that me and my brother would need to be up there every weekend for at least 6 weeks. This is not an expense I could ask Hatrack to help defray, since opening the pool is liable to cost a lot of money. I need to discuss with my brother whether we will really do this, but he won't know until probably december, since this is his first year fully employed (Teaching 8th grade english). If we ARE going to host hatrack, and if he feels he can spend 6 weekends up there next summer, we will open the pool... depending on how much that costs, 20 dollars from everyone would be great, but not significant.

The other major hurdle is the water. We use a stream-fed resevoir to supply water to the house (when my grandfather dies, my brother and I are putting in a well... but he won't do that right now). If the resevoir system breaks down again during the winter, as it did last winter, when the nipple in the resevoir broke, it CAN take a while to fix. as I said, I would be up ther eboth weekends before the gathering in order to make sure the water is working.

Anyrate, I appreciate the concern, ELjay.

Right now, I want to see how much interest there is. If 20-30 hatrackers like this idea, I'll definetely keep on top of the situation, and try to work out with my brother if we can really do this. If we CAN really do it, then I'll make it definite around christmas break time, and we can start booking any camping/hotel space that is needed, as well as finding maps to nearby places and generally getting ready to have a ball.

This would probably happen between july 4th weekend, and mid august. I want to make sure we have a weekend AFTER the event to clean up, before school starts.

Elizabeth- This is 7 minutes from the pizza place [Smile]

[ August 22, 2004, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Paul Goldner ]

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Topping to scan for interest.
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
You had better not pick June 11. That is OrneryCon.

Or are you planning on skipping out again next year for another aging rock band? [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sheep go to heaven. Goats go to hell."

You feed the baby goats!?!?!?!?
AWWWWWWW....
THAT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME!!! I LOVE GOATS!
However seeing as how I'm a lowley college student and have no money and live in Texas... I can't gooooo.... as great as it sounds
(Then again... i'm not sure if i was invited, anyway... i just REALLY like that song that was at the beginning of this post and this seemed like a PERFECT opportunity to post it.)

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Wave] very interested! (and wonders if maybe I could borrow my sister's RV for this road trip)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Everyone is invited.

I won't pick the ornery con day, msquared [Smile] My brother is teaching this year, so thats still during the school year for him. This event will be sometime between july 4th and the end of august.

If I get 15 hatrackers interested, other then myself, then I'll seriously discuss ability to do this, and post a "go" or "no go" before the middle of january, so that everyone has at least 6 months to plan.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
What city is this near? Just so I can see how far away I am...
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

130 miles from NYC, 70 miles from Albany, (approximately).
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to come, but I don't think my schedule will allow it. [Frown]
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to go as well. I approve of gatherings that are within half a tank of gas. But my schedule is up in the air.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be somewhat interested, but with my wedding in early August, I don't know how feasible it will be.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to come, but I go back to school mid-August (which is why I didn't go to Kamacon). I also have a family reunion at some point. Once you get the date nailed down, then I can give you a more concrete answer.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up for it.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
^ What she said.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up for it
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

If it is anythink like KamaCon, there will be a lot of last-minute people showing up too, once they see all the "cool" people will be there [Big Grin]

Did anyone ever get a complete headcount of how many actually showed up at KamaCon?

Farmgirl

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
code:
mike           The Tick
mike Papa Moose
mike Happy Camper
mike Melting Snowman
mike saxon75

juliette Juliette
Carl Mooselet
Connie Squirrel
Timothy Superstation
Kara blackwolve

Allegra Allegra
Annie Annie
Hobbes Hobbes
katie katharina
AJ BannaOJ

<edited
out of fear> celia
Kama Kama
Tom TomDavidson
Christy Christy
Stephen sndrake

Diane (I'm not sure.)
Rivka rivka
Robert Marek
Josh Zevlag
Andrea JennyGardener

Maribeth Mayday
Bernard Insanity Plea
Sophie (Has not yet registered)
Eddie Frisco
Nathan T_Smith

Jamie Mackillian
Sara Rappin Ronnie Reagen
Kara fiazko
LJ ElJay
Dana dkw

Bob Bob_Scopatz
Noah CalvinMaker
Richard Berg Richard Berg (I can't even separate the first name from the last name.
It's like Jordan Catalano.)
Tracy Farmgirl
Amanda IvyGirl

Becky kwsni
Ken Psychotriad
Kara Ryuko
Russel fugu
Julie Theca

Dan lime
Julie vana
Um... JonnyNotSoBravo
Karen xnera
Karl telperion

Darren punwit
Cheri punwit's wife
Anna punwit daughter
Nicole Space Opera

Please tell me I got everyone.

--

In case anyone can't tell, punwit and family left fifteen minutes after we got back from the museum. *pout* I know the list isn't perfect - pleae let me know what needs to be changed.

[ August 25, 2004, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I *think* it was 45 adults and 3 children.

And Paul, I really wouldn't worry about opening the pool if it is that much work. Sounds like there are plenty of other water-type activities around.

I wouldn't know whether I could come or not til probably next spring.

AJ
(wow that count is 53, guess I was low)

[ August 25, 2004, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Were Melting Snowman and Papa Moose -- are they in the Mike list? (I don't know their real names)

Farmgirl

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah, they are both Mikes though I think moose may go by Michael IRL.

List of the Mikes clarified.

Mike-Melting Snowman
Mike-The Tick
Mike-saxon75
Mike-Happy Camper
Mike/Michael-Papa Moose

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
They are both Mikes. Obviously. I mean, it's the name all the cool guys have. Except Frisco. Eddie is a close second.

edit because I forgot some words. and then put some extra ones in.

[ August 25, 2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Tick, I didn't know you'd joined his line. [Razz]

---

Hmm...I wonder if I can put real names to that list.

[ August 25, 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Some real names for you:

Farmgirl & Ivygirl, Tracy & Amanda. Theca is Julie.

And to stay on topic, I'm still interested, Paul! [Wave]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I *think* punwit was Deryk.

And I thought his daughters name was Anna.

AJ

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

punwit is Darren.

FG
(you have his daughter's name right, though, and his wife is Cheri)

[ August 25, 2004, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Marek is Robert, and....

..I don't know JNSB's real name

Farmgirl

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I was close... I was debating between Deryk, Derrell and Darren...

And I was pretty sure about the Anna since it is my name too.

AJ

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, all those Mikes, and they don't even include the New England contingent Mikes...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Ok, there is enough interest for me to seriously look into this.

People coming up is an excuse to put the time and effort into openign the pool and keeping the place useable for the whole summer [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Kat -- when I said "you have punwit's daughter's name right" I was talking to A.J., not you. You still have it wrong on the list [Wink]

Paul -- wish I lived closer so I could help you with the work....

Farmgirl

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Hey, no problem [Smile] My brother and I will hopefully be able to handle it.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not on the list. [Razz]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! You're right! I'm so sorry!

What's your real name?

BannaOj
Member # 3206

(I hate to say it but I know kat did a better job with all those names than I would have!)

AJ

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Her name is Nicole

edit: and I can't believe that I didn't catch that earlier that she was missing -- since she roomed with us!

[ August 25, 2004, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
quote:
Marek is Robert, and....

..I don't know JNSB's real name

I knew i should have changed the name on my email to Marek sooner. Oh well, JNSB's real first name is Jon, i had to write him a check for my share of the room, so I know his breal name.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

""In another sense, it will be very difficult for my family, possibly, because it HASN'T been used much since 1999. "

OK, how about this. We have people take turns (if they choose to) doing something to help the cabin. We scrape. We paint. We wash. We could take work details. I would love to do that. I will volunteer to help make the grounds look nice, poison ivy pulled up, etc.

As people said, don't worry about the pool, and don't do it if it will be a hardship, please!

M2 quipped: "Or are you planning on skipping out again next year for another aging rock band?"

Careful of making fun of people seeing aging rock bands. I happen to be an aging woman who follows around an aging rock band. Ha ha.

"(I can't even separate the first name from the last name. It's like Jordan Catalano.)"

So funny. Like Tony Soprano. James Bond. Marlon Brando.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Elizabeth-
If people are willing to do that, we'd be extroadinarily grateful. Will discuss with others, and such. Pulling weeds, helping with dusting, planting new plants in the flower bed, clearing clutter, I could probably come up with a dozen minor tasks that hatrackers are capable of, and don't require great skill. That is a wonderful, kind, generous offer.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, it is easy to offer up other people's help! Ha ha.

You know, I bet you have quite a few skilled people in the group. It would be sort of like a Habitat for Goldnermanity. Or something.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
if blacwolve comes, i probably will (of course, if it's ok with her [Wink] )
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.