FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » On the logical shortcomings of 5-year-olds

Author Topic: On the logical shortcomings of 5-year-olds
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I've just forgotten what it's like to think like a child. I can't understand how to communicate with them when they're being totally illogical and unreasonable.

My little brother has a really hard time finding things. He could have put it down 10 seconds prior, and it just ceases to exist in his consciousness. Every day, and I mean every day, he loses his shoes.

"Where are my boots?"
"Where did you wear them last?"
"I don't know."
"Where did you take them off?"
"I don't know."
"Where are you supposed to put them when you take them off?"
"By the door."
"Are they there?"
*checks, an action that takes 7 minutes*
*comes back*
"I can't find my sandals."
"What about your boots?"
"Oh! Where are my boots?"

He also has an impossible time remembering the rules. The rules never change. He is reminded of the rules at least 20 times a day. This changes nothing. His two older sisters (7 and 9) seem to have this same deficiency.

"Guys, why are there video tapes on top of the TV?"
"I don't know."
"Who put them there?"
"Not me!" "Not me!" "Not me!"
"Where are we supposed to put video tapes?"
"In the case."
"Are we supposed to put them on top of the TV?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because it's hot and it will ruin them."

See - they know the rules, they just never, ever employ them.

My most recent frustration occured 3 minutes ago. I asked the 5-year-old if he had seen the kittens.
"No."
"Well, will you go find them? I need to put them downstairs so we can leave."
"Well, I don't know where they are."
"I know that. I don't know where they are either. Will you find them?"
"But I can't find them! I don't know where they are!"
"I KNOW! Me using the word find implies that you look for them. If you knew where they were, I wouldn't tell you to find them."
"But I already looked everywhere!"
"But see, if you would have looked everywhere, you would have found them."
"But I can't find them!"
"You can't find them until you look for them."
"But I don't know where to look!"
"Look where you think they might like to be."
"But I don't know where they are."
"Then you'll have to look everywhere."
"I already looked everywhere!"
"THEY HAVE TO BE SOMEWHERE. KITTENS DO NOT JUST DISAPPEAR. DO YOU THINK THEY JUST WALKED OUTSIDE OF THE HOUSE?"
"Yeah, I think so. I saw them walk outside."
"You saw the kittens walk outside? When?"
"I don't know."
"Where did they go?"
"Down the road."
"What? When did you see the kittens go down the road?" (we haven't left the house in several hours)
"Um, 20 minutes ago."
"... (the sound of me being perplexed) ..."

I made them go outside and look for the kittens, irrationally thinking they may be out there. It hit me five minutes later that the kittens were not outside - nor could he have seen them go out the door, nor could he have any clue about anything that happened about 20 minutes ago. Still, he swears he saw them running down the road, and he's sure they've got to be several miles away by now.

Now my head explodes and I collapse on the living room floor. The kittens crawl up and sit on me, gazing at me quizzically. The kids left the door open, and there are at least 20 videos on top of the TV.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so me though, and I'm grown...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
You're the one who left the door open, AJ? No cookies for you!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It's so hard to discipline my nephews, because now, they've learned to be glibe.

"Bradley, don't hit your little sister"
"But she hit me!"
"She's one! She doesn't know any better!"
"Yes she does, she helped me with my math once!"

"Bradley, stop it"
"No"
"Bradley, I'm serious, stop it"
"No"
*me getting really pissed* "Bradley, stop it Now!"
"No"
"That's it, time for bed."
"No"
"Too bad, let's go to bed"
"No"
*me getting as emotionally charged as possible without yelling* "Bradley, stop. it. or. go. to. bed. Now!"
"No"
*eyetwitch*

one not so bad...
"Hunter, you're growing up way too fast."
"Nu uh, if I grew fast, I'd be seven."

I'm really *really* glad I don't have kids yet. They wouldn't stand a chance.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, about two "no"'s into that second conversation my kid would have been face-down in the carpet.

But that's just me.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of open doors...

I get home this afternoon, and my front door is standing open. I totally freak. I left through the back door, so how long has it been open? When was the last time I used the front door? I have two doors, one onto the porch and one from the porch into the house, and I normally lock them both. I hurry to the second door and grab the knob. The spring lock is locked, thank goodness. None of my shoes or tools seem to be missing from the front porch. I put my key in the deadbolt and turn it... it is not locked! Now I'm really freaked, just the lock on the knob was standing between my house and anyone walking by for who knows how long! I unlock the door and open it...

...to find my mom and my sister's friends, Mike & Patty, standing in my living room, and dkw coming down the stairs.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
hee hee, so they surprised you huh? Is this the same Mike and Patty that I think we met at dkws? If so tell them hi!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, 5 year olds.
But smart alek 7 year olds are worse. A few eeks ago in the car I was discussing with my 7 year old the difference between TAPPING and HITTING his little brother and he told me, "Stop quibbling semantics, you just do thst to antagonise me". And tonight dh told him he was being childish and he said, "Well, that is appropriate"

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie - I have to say that 10 1/2 is shaping up to be a right cool age! I am really enjoying Nathan!

And I would like to invite you to become comfortable with logical and natural consequences - for example:

Said child can't find shoes, said child goes barefoot. And experiences what we experience barefoot. Ouch. OR worse - no, I'm sorry - you have to sit in the car while we go onto Baskin-Robbins to get icecream. Why? Their rules require shirts and shoes . . .

Said child doesn't put video away? No videos. You put them away - high up.

Oh, and studies show that ADD symptoms in children (such as as not being able to focus, remember things and apply them, etc.) decrease when TV, video and videogames and other media monstrosities are VERY limited.

Got a backyard? Send 'em on out there. Build those healthy young bodies' vitality and strength. Build their imaginations. Build their self-sufficiency skills.

Save your sanity! (Buy earplugs for the loud feelings that emanate from natural and logical consequences.)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Romany: [ROFL]

You have a budding lawyer in the fold. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*applauds Shan, and agrees emphatically*

There is a time for reasoning with kids. When they let logic fly out the nearest window, that time has passed.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I let logic fly today, now I have no arm hair, or knuckle hair. Did you know that old rusted gas cans that you think have water in them, may just still hold gas. [Wall Bash] Tonight is the last time I use water to put out a fire that I didn't draw from the hose myself. On the bright side, the nurse in the ER was good looking [Big Grin]
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
romany: I think if I had a seven-year-old who said things like that... it would just lead to tears. Of pride. Not to mention a hug and some ice cream.

And then I'd make him go to his room for hitting his brother.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with PSI Teleport and Shan. Reason and logic are things you learn as you get older. There's no point trying to use them in an argument with someone too young to have learned them yet. At that age, disobedience requires punishment. You can discuss things with them when they're a little older.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Punishment's correct...but the word "discipline" is more accurate and less scary-sounding. [Wink]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
hee hee, so they surprised you huh? Is this the same Mike and Patty that I think we met at dkws? If so tell them hi!
They just stopped by to pick up dkw's guitar and other stuff she left at KamaCon for me to bring back. They left about 2 minutes after I got home. But Mom and I went out for ice cream. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Please note: I said neither "punishment" nor discipline" - I said NATURAL and LOGICAL consequences.

I.e., it is a NATURAL consequence to have ffet that hurt when you walk on gravel barefoot (unless you're an alien) and it is a LOGICAL consequence that the child without his.her shoes can not go into the icecream store which clearly states that they have a shoes required rule.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, has he ever been tested for an autism spectrum disorder? I just wondered, as I'm way too familiar with them.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what, you don't believe in punishing/disciplining/whatevering a disobedient child? Seems like a natural and logical consequence of bad behavior to me. . . .
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister, when she's babysitting, and the kids are getting too boisterous tells them they've upset her too much and she needs to meditate to calm down. She then sits down and meditates until the kids are apologizing and promising to behave better. It apparently works pretty well for her.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about messing with their minds. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

[Evil Laugh]

You're a naughty one, mack . . .

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit I am proud of my kid's vocabulary [Big Grin]

Verily, just speaking for myself, I NEVER use the word punishment. Consequence, yes. If one of my kids refuses to clean up their toys, I don't give them a time out, I give them the LOGICAL CONSEQUENCE of picking up the toys myself and putting them in the garage for a few days ( they have to earn the toys back, one at a time. Nor do I equate the words "discipline" and "punishment" You can disciplne your children without extensive use of punishments. About the only time I will actually punish one of my kids is if they hit/bite/etc someone, and they get sent to the corner for that.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I wouldn't call that a logical consequence...it seems more logical for the toys to get broken because they get stepped on.

[ August 23, 2004, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wouldn't call that a logical consequence...it seems more logical for the toys to get broken because they get stepped on.
My Mom still does that, only X-Box controllers are really expensive compared to toy cars.

edit: spelling

[ August 23, 2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Actually, if a tor gets stepped on I would call that a NATURAL consequence. Plus I don't think it's OK to break someone's property to teach them a lesson, or to break my ankle for that matter.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.