FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Microsoft Nation 1.0

Author Topic: Microsoft Nation 1.0
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
This is hilarious!!

Has this already been posted? I thought it was very very funny.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"You need to look at this as Microsoft Nation 1.0," said United Nations undersecretary of corporate affairs Yolanda Fremont. "Bear in mind that security is a big problem in Iraq right now, and that security is not Microsoft's strong suit. I can just picture monthly "patches" being issued in the form of commando squads or armed raids, with new problems popping up immediately after each one. The country will be at the mercy of hackers within a year."
[ROFL]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft's security isn't terrible-- implemented correctly, it's fairly strong-- but since MS has market share, popular support, and hubris out the wazoo, it's a target.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

Hey Scott, I have this bridge you might be interested in....

[Wink]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Replace the word "Microsoft" with "The US" in the Scott's post and determine its validity. Begin.

[ August 20, 2004, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The US has popular support? I thought everybody hated America?

[ August 20, 2004, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
That's it. Nor more liberal media for you, young man.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I'll have to cancel my subscription to Harper's, then. [Razz]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
hee hee I liked the other articles on that page too. Like the advertising on Microsofts Blue Screen of Death...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I especially love the "Sad Mozilla" link under "Daily Links." It leads to more Microsoft mayhem. hehe

Of course, I have my own pet T-Rex now on my computer and love it! [Smile]

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Heavens, I'm going to have to pull out one of Leto's arguments.

MOST of the security patches that MS has come up with have not been due to their penchant for open market beta-releasing. They've been due to honestly made mistakes, which EVERY OS CONTAINS.

When MS discovers a problem with their software, they GENERALLY release a patch fairly quickly.

UNIX has security flaws; Linux has security flaws; OpenBSD has security flaws. The world is more aware of MS' security flaws because MS (I know it's Windows, not MS, but I'm abbreviating) is the more prevalent operating system.

Add to that the absolutely grand way that MS continues to improve the security of their OS-- it isn't the security hole it's been made out to be, as long as the user is educated.

Again, the answer is user education-- which we expect of people who use UNIX, by the way-- MS is no different.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to point out that Microsoft's "Fairly quickly" release of security patchs consists of days to weeks, while patchs of open source flaws consist of hours or days. For example the IE insecurities of a few months ago are still getting fixed, while the Mozilla/Firefox insecurity (which is caused by an insecurity in the operating system, thusly an Windows only bug) was fixed within 24 hours. Also, Microsoft's closed source policy means that no developer or user can go in and fix any problem in their software and have to wait for it to pass through the massive beaucratic machine that results from a hugely popular proprietary application of any sort.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Being able to exit on schedule with a nice pile of cash would be good," said Cheney. "But I thought Halliburton had dibs."

[ROFL]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.