FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking at puppies tom. - any hints?

Author Topic: Looking at puppies tom. - any hints?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so excited!!! I'm going to the animal shelter tomorrow to look at 3 puppies. They are all lab mixes. The one I'm most interested in is a 4 month old named Max. I saw his picture last week and have been thinking about him ever since.

Licorice was fairly easy to select from a litter because he stood out as so friendly and easy-going. I've never had experience with looking at a single dog before. I plan to spend ample time playing with Max and the others, and asking questions of the people who've worked with them. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could to do ensure that I'm going to bring home the right dog?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you.

Unfortunately, there isn't a hard and fast rule of thumb for determining which dog or mix is best.

Go with your instincts - the puppy behavior will give you a good idea of what to expect as they grow older.

If you can tell, you might make your choice based on the reputation of the breeds - some are prone to being more tempermental than others.

Best of luck,
Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to watch out for, I picked out a puppy once that seemed very quiet and sweet. We brought it to a vet to get all of the necessary shots and things. It turns out that it was just sick. Once the illness cleared up it was very loud and wild. So basically watch out if it seems too good to be true.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
The shelter has vet checked all these puppies. They have had shots, wormed, and are altered, so hopefully no hidden problems will appear. *crosses fingers* I'm still so excited!!!!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
These aren't hard and fast rules but these temperment testing lists could help you out. Use them as guidlines don't try to follow everything to the letter.

http://www.heatherlyaussies.com/tempermenttest.html
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/7436/tt.html

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are fairly prepared. The 4 month old has just hit his "teens" in a sense. He is starting to feel puberty so there is a chance that he might play a little rough, perhaps be a little too mouthy. As long as he does not seem overly dominant this is normal and can be worked with.

Good luck!
Michelle

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

A female will be less prone to Alpha Male problems, although as long as you have a firm hand, it shouldn't be a problem.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
All my dogs have been females, and were/are great.

Then again, Penney use to lift her leg to pee, and monts other dogs....so she is confused....or something like that, anyway... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

And for the love of dogs, please change the title.

"puppies torn" is just a bad visual.

-Trevor

Space Opera
Member # 6504

[ROFL]

I promise I'll change the title if I end up bringing our new dog home today.

space opera

Space Opera
Member # 6504

40 minutes before I leave for the shelter. I cannot believe that I'm this insanely excited/nervous. If the pups at this shelter don't work out, I located a high-kill shelter in southern Indiana that I'll visit next. Looking at all of the pictures has been heartbreaking. [Frown]

space opera

MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
And they call it puppy luuuuuv. [Smile] :::waiting:::
Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn you Michelle! Your post somehow got the Muskrat Love song stuck in my head for the rest of the day....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

I refuse to take credit - or discredit - for Muskrat Suzy or Muskrat Sam!
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I was trying to figure out why she was asking Tom for advice! Torn is just sad.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, when I see this title I keep wondering why Tom would have any special qualifications for choosing Space's new puppy.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.