FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need a music program.

Author Topic: I need a music program.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of a music program that might, I don't know...tell you what notes are being played on a song? My husband is trying to learn to play a song but doesn't play by ear as he doesn't have much music experience. Anything that might convert midi files to notes, or something similar?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
MIDI files can be opened in programs like Finale. But the results can be sometimes even more confusing, depending on how it was programmed and how Finale interprets it...
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be an awesome program! I'm interested, though I suspect it might violate copyright law or something of the sort..

I generally listen and try to play it on the piano, but it doesn't work very well, for me at least. I don't have neither the talent nor the patience for that process. So I'd love to have a program tell me what the notes are, for me to learn.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Something that could turn an mp3 into a score is still at least a decade of research away from reality. Turning a MIDI into notes, though...that's what MIDI is. Any program that does MIDI should be able to display it in standard music notion. Lilypond has the nicest rendering around and is free if not exactly intuitive.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I use Voyetra . It also transcribes any of the MIDI tracks into sheet music.

(edit to add link.)

[ August 06, 2004, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting both Lilypond and Voyetra. Midi files are fine. Which of these Voyetra programs do I need, elaine? I've got a whole list here.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI -- what do you mean your husband doesn't have much music experience? I though you said he plays the banjo?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

I use MIDI Orchestrator Plus. I didn't really look at the site.

Way too tempting. The softwear is reletively inexpensive. But I would nickle and dime myself to death.

I really stay away from Roland sites! [Eek!]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

MPH:

[ROFL] Yeah, and this is his second month doing it. He's trying to learn to play a song from his favorite video game on the banjo. This is the first instrument he's ever played, except for a very brief stint with the guitar that was, shall we say, terrible. He's gotten pretty good at playing the banjo during this time, but musically he's still a novice, if that makes any sense. I has extremely imperfect pitch (I just made that up [Smile] ) and can't play by ear, nor read music beyond the extremely simplified banjo stuff.

[ August 07, 2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Okay I must be completely brain-dead because I can not find that orchestrator plus jive you're talking about.

Forgive me, I'm sick and it's late.

But when I go to this page ( http://www.voyetra.com/site/ ) I get nothing that says that. Can someone direct this pitiful sickly person to the correct place?

eslaine
Member # 5433

Here ya go:

MIDI yada yada

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Thanks.

[Hail]

*sniffle*

eslaine
Member # 5433

Comes with a nifty MIDI to Game Port Cable. [Big Grin]
eslaine
Member # 5433

Check it out:

quote:
For Windows 3.1 and 95
It really cruises for a Dinosaur.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Coooooooooool.
eslaine
Member # 5433

AHHH! New USB Version.

*drools*

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
A song from his favourite video game? I'm interested! I love video game music! I used to sit for hours by the SNES, transcribing music from Mario Bros! [Big Grin] So, which video game song is he trying to learn to play?
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Right now it's a song from the game "Earthbound" which is an awesome little RPG for SNES. Not a fantasy RPG but a goofy little science fiction one. It did amazingly well in Japan but when brought over here it flopped. There are two reasons why:

1. Marketing strategy. Their clever plan included cards that come with the game, and each card had a character from the game on it. The cards were scratch-and-sniff and smelled like the characters. Their motto? "This Game Stinks." o_O

2. Graphics. They are terrible. They look like they could have been done on the Nintendo. But what sold the game to the Japanese was the awesome playability, the sounds, the story, and the hours upon hours of gameplay. I could play it from start to finish, then start over again, having forgotten what happened in the story the last time. It was deep, rich, and full of mini-plots within the plot. Apparently Americans want eye-candy more than an actual good game...or at least, they did in the 90's. Plus, there are places in the game where the graphics rock, namely the battle scenes. But in order to get there, you have to actually play the game for a while, which no one was willing to do.

At any rate, the song is called "Buy Somethin' Will Ya?" and it's a little banjo tune that plays whenever you walk into a...drugstore, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe the shops.

eslaine
Member # 5433

How did you get the MIDI file from the SNES? [Confused]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.