FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to refrain from being a Grammar Nazi?

Author Topic: How to refrain from being a Grammar Nazi?
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been noticing it for quite some time. From snide comments people make...from the fear in their eyes when they talk near me...how some of them even look hopeful until I crush their little hopes by stating every grammar mistake they make. [Evil Laugh]

I'm turning into a Grammar Nazi. (Portuguese grammar, of course)

It's a bad thing to be, I know, but I seem to slide more and more down the slope. I guess it's sort of caused by my job (Portuguese Teacher), but I'm having trouble leaving it in the classroom.

Of course, I tried to avoid correcting people, but than comes this...craving. How do you fight your Grammar-Naziness?

[ August 06, 2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this problem too, of course, and if I can ever get to the point of authentic and sincere interaction with everyone I meet, I don't think it will be a problem. I've tried to limit myself to corrections where the grammar/spelling mistake really causes miscommunication.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Eduardo, that would be "and then comes this craving..."

Sorry.

Also, "Grammar Nazi" and its derivatives should be capitalized.

--Steve (and you call yourself a Grammar Nazi) Sywak

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet if you started posting in Portugese, he could really rip it apart.

[ August 06, 2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
</whine> Ssywak: Hey, that's unfair! English is my second language! </whine>

Porteiro: Hehehe...guess it's interesting to taste my own medicine. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be able to speak and read Portugese OK, but I could never write it well.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Is a question mark the best way to punctuate that thread title?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad needs you, Eduardo. He is in Peru right now, but for some reason they are teaching him Spanish along with Portuguese. He stumbles along fairly well in Spanish, but he's terrible at Portuguese. He has a tutor come, but he can't seem to get it.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Porteiro: It's normal. I speak and read english very well (I guess my spoken english may be a little rusty), but my writting is still sub-par.

sarcasticmuppet : I guess it is, unless the punctuation rules in english are radically different from portuguese ones.

PSI Teleport : I want to be cured, not encouraged in my illness! [Smile]

[ August 06, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first came here, I mentally was a Grammar Nazi. I couldn't stand it when people made misspellings or grammatical errors. But then I made several of my own, clear up to the point of calling Tom & Christy's baby an "alien life form" or some other such faux pas and suddenly I became much less critical of others. Because when you are typing in a hurry, lots of things can come out that aren't intended or meant.

FG [Big Grin]

[ August 06, 2004, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but my writting is still sub-par.
You must be grateful for the computer, then. [Smile] For some reason, I spell much better in writing than in typing. Most of my spelling errors on Hatrack are caused by typos rather than actual ignorance of the spelling of a word.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

There were a few errors that used to leap out of the page at me -- there vs. they're, your vs. you're, two vs. to vs. too, good vs. well, etc.. I mean, didn't people learn about that in elementary school?

Then I started posting regularly at hatrack, and I noticed that I somehow make those same mistakes, even though I am very much aware of the correct way to do it. I was apalled at myself.

I wonder if it comes from becoming more relaxed in my hatrack conversations, making it more like a spoken conversation than a formal report.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Porteiro: That's usual, since you are trying to convey your message quickly.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.