FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » some help please

Author Topic: some help please
Rockmuffin
Member # 6683

- posted      Profile for Rockmuffin   Email Rockmuffin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I know a few weeks ago CM wrote about how my mom is well... a rough lady. It hasn't been better, in fact it's just become worse. I really need some help. I've weighed out my pros and cons, I've realized that I had a good childhood and that I did have supportive parents. However, I also realized something, the reason my mother is so strict with me is because I have never once disobeyed her. I have always been this obedient daughter that always does the "right thing." Well, maybe the right thing isn't always right. I have put a lot of thought into this, and I have decided that I'm going to move out of my house at the end of the school year. I don't know where I will live, but I do know that if I start my own life, I will feel so much better, and hopefully be a happier person. Because I am a college student, I have been researching youth hostels. I think the price is reasonable for a college student. I realize that this will take a bit more planning... but I really feel that it is what I have to do to be happy. I also discovered that the loans for school were taken out under my name, and due to my scholarships, my parents can't really pull a very large financial plug which is a relief. I am willing to work through college, I worked to go to MSM prep, I can do it again. I'm not afraid, but if ya'll could perhaps give me some guidance I'd really appreciate it. Thanks- C
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
:: hug :: I can sorta empathize with what you're going through. What sort of housing options does your school offer? Any chance of renting an apartment with friends? What sort of loans are you taking? You can take up to 20k (?) in Perkin's and Stafford loans which are deferred till you leave school.
:: hugs :: I wish you the best of luck.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, the cheapest college housing option is to rent a big house with a bunch of people. Of course, these have to be people you trust and respect, and you have to expect some rough spots living with four or five roomies.

But overall, it is the best way to save money and maintain a decent standard of living.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
By far -- by FAR -- the cheapest way to live while in college is to share a large house with four or five friends. I'd strongly recommend it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck - sharing close quarters with a bunch of people can add new levels to the definition of "patience" in your dictionary.

And it can be a wonderful, exciting time as you experience a whole new way of life.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh. I wish you the best in this. It takes a lot of courage to step out of their house earlier than you have to. What city do/will you be living in? I'm sure our bundle of hatrackers can do some good searching for you to help you out. We can answer all sorts of questions on what you'll need to live on your own, and what sorts of things you can expect to start paying for (telephone bill, ick!).

When will you move out? June? That's a long time away.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you all the best. Since you are planning this in advance (you said the end of the school year) you should be able to find a good, workable solution.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, bills are less daunting when you split it 5 ways.

DSL line $39.95: Split five ways, $6 each.

Man I miss the good old days. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.