FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Quentin Tarentino Presents "Hero", and "House of Flying Daggers"

Author Topic: Quentin Tarentino Presents "Hero", and "House of Flying Daggers"
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Has any one else seen the trailers for this? Thoughts? Opinions? Reviews from bootlegged copies?

BTW This film also looks fantastic. Its called "House of Flying Daggeres" It has the younger woman from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (The one who jumps off the bridge in the end) she plays a blind woman, who falls in love with a roving warrior, yattah yattah yattah, lotta great fight sequences. Oh yeah, some websites are calling it "Lovers" instead of "House of Flying Daggers"

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=4814

the trailer looks amazing.

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hero is a really really really REALLY great movie. I saw it already. I'm going to try to see it in the threatre as many times as I can. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Ryuko seems to have a taste similar to mine when it comes to japanese or oriental/like cultural phenoms, I guess I'll give it a try as soon it's available here in my little backwater country. [Wink]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hero, from the trailer, looks to be an absolutely beautiful movie. The cinematography is stunning and visual direction is stunning. Since the trailers have no dialog or sub-titles I can only guess at the plot, but it is definitely on my list of movies to see.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hero, i predict, will make my top 10 of the year movie list. That is all.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard very, very bad things about House of Flying Daggers. My girlfriend watched it and reports that half the audience was laughing during the grand, emotional finale.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Quentin gets on my nerves. He seems like a real ***hole. But his movies are good.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

You'll be pleased to know that QT has nothing to do with these movies aside from pushin people to bring them to America. For which I lurve him.

[Smile]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- has never seen anything done by Tarentino. [Dont Know]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the DVD of Hero and I can heartily recommend it to fans not only of good martial arts movies, but also for romantics and history buffs as well. The version I have is probably similar to the one coming out but a Chinese friend of mine says that the original cut is longer and has a ton of relevance to modern day China and their constant re-looking at their history and working on their identity. The cinematography is amazing, the special effects are actually special (great to look at and add to the story, not detract) and the pacing and tone are just wonderful. This is a great, great film. Enjoy!

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

(hugs) fil, you are so right. You say what I'd say if I hadn't been awake for 25 hours minus 4.
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have the chinese version of Hero, it's a gorgeous movie, with beautiful dancing fight scenes (it makes Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon look like child's play). As a story it's beautifully sad, though full of nationalist propaganda (sic communist-nationalist), but still a good film. And, they're a little bit better on the accents than Chrouching Tiger (the young male muarader spoke with a very strong Taiwanese accent...obviously the Mongols weren't Taiwanese).
Satyagraha

[ August 04, 2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Insanity Plea ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am planning on going to see it soon, and my wife (who has a japanese minor) wasnts to see it too....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
My commentary is on the other Hero thread.

Although I seem to be in the distinct minority.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.