FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First Dates!

Author Topic: First Dates!
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, guys. I'm sure many people here have interesting stories about first dates. How did you met the person who is (at least you thought so at the time [Wink] ) the love of your life?
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had many "first dates" over my lifetime with different people. Most of them are boring and not worth sharing here. Just routine stuff like meeting guys at church and going out to dinner, etc.

But one of my favorite relationships -- back in 1981. I was having a very bad year. Anyway, I went to Kansas City to see a friend who was dying at the hospital. After the visit, very bummed, I kind of wandered aimlessly (driving) deciding what to do next -- didn't want to leave town, etc. So I went to a Perkins restaurant in a southern suburb of KC. That was back when Perkins had a counter with stools (like oldtime cafes) at the front, in addition to the regular seating.

There was one guy at the counter -- long-hair, old hippie looking. Drinking coffee. So I sat a couple of bar stools down, and had coffee. The restaurant was slow, so the waitress starting talking to both of us about general stuff. Which led to him and I just talking when the waitress moved on. We sat there and talked and had coffee at the counter together for over four hours (really!). It was the middle of the night then, and I had learned he was a truck driver (big rigs) and was on his way to Illinois. I said, "I've always wanted to ride in a big truck -- see what it was like." He said, "Well, you're welcome to come along."

And I did.

Went with him to Illinois and back -- even got to drive a little under his guidance.

Yes, I know it was a wild hair -- but I was at the point of "I don't care about my life" when that evening happened. And it was a great thing for me. Ended up leading to a LTR for a couple of years (driving together on the semi). That was one relationship I should have kept, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My girl just happened to show up in Portland right when I was there. What a coincidence! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's more fun if you read it at this link, but for people who hate dancing hamsters:

quote:
In the beginning, Eve knew Random, and Rob knew Sean. Rob also knew Random because Random knew Sean. But Eve didn't know Sean, so Rob didn't know Eve. And there was sadness in the kingdom.

Then Random met John. Random and John fell in love and got tattoos. Then they got married, because they were no longer afraid of permanent things. Eve went to Knoxville for Random and John's wedding. Rob went to Knoxville, too, for much the same reason.

Rob was at the reception. Eve was at the reception. Sean was at the reception, too. Sean saw Eve. Sean said to Eve, "This is my friend Rob. He owns his own business and had a case that went all the way to the Supreme Court." Then Sean walked away. Sean did this because Rob is shy and Sean is not. Eve said, "What?"

The conversation got much better after that. Rob thought Eve was really cute, smart, and funny. Eve thought much the same about Rob. Eve sent Rob email. Rob thought the email was really about work stuff. This is because Rob is clueless.

After several emails from Rob that convinced Eve that Rob was clueless, Eve sent an Explicit Email. It said, "Hey. I'd like to talk to you. Can I call you sometime?" So over the next two weeks, Eve and Rob greatly enriched ATT. Then Eve and Rob decided to meet over Thanksgiving weekend.

The rest, as they say, is history. Or it will be on July 31, 2004 when they get married!

Dagonee
P.S., I know I've posted it before, but it's fun. [Smile]

P.P.S., I'm Rob, not Eve. [Smile]

[ July 28, 2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Ended up leading to a LTR for a couple of years (driving together on the semi).
Everytime I learn something new about you I'm more impressed.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Yeah, Farmgirl is incredibly cool, isn't she?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

some people say I should write a book about all the "interesting" experiences in my life.... but, nah....some of it would be too embarrassing..

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Dagonee, I've always had a question about this:

quote:
"This is my friend Rob. He owns his own business and had a case that went all the way to the Supreme Court." Then Sean walked away. Sean did this because Rob is shy and Sean is not.
How could a SHY guy get a case all the way to the Supreme Court? Or be in law at all?

You don't appear "shy" on Hatrack, so it just seemed really weird that you would mention here that "Rob is shy".

Farmgirl

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, I didn't get to argue my case at all, except in the administrative portions within the University before we went to court. Apparantly, they thought a college junior might not be the best advocate for our side. I was a little firebrand on campus, though, largely in studen council meetings and in op-ed columns.

I've never had a problem with public speaking, or in carrying on conversations where the purpose is known before hand. I've given sales presentations to 2 Admirals, 4 SESs, and 10 Navy Captains with no problem. I've gone to meet clients one-on-one about new business, a problem with a contract, or for status reports. I debated in high school and college and acted in high school. I joke around with my friends and family all the time.

The problem I have is with unscripted social situations with people I don't know. I hate small talk, and I'm bad at it. I don't know what to talk about. At parties, I end up either spending time with my shy friends or leaning against a wall (or playing with the children).

The reason I could talk to Eve was that Sean gave her two topics she wanted to hear about, so I was comfortable. From there, we moved naturally on to areas of overlap between our jobs, interesting recent court cases, and then a ton of other stuff. But if Sean hadn't done that (and I didn't ask him to - in fact I was mad at him), I'd have nursed a Cap't Morgans on the rocks all night and gone to bed.

Here at Hatrack, I lurked for a long time. Then I participated in the serious threads for a while, where the direction of the conversation was clear. It took a while after that before I became comfortable talking to people individually instead of just generally presenting opinions in political threads. As I got to know a few people, I became more comfortable just blabbing. Now you'll never get me to shut up. [Smile]

As a lawyer, I don't foresee a problem. It's always pretty clear what the topic of discussion is in legal proceedings.

Dagonee

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

You are a cool guy, Dag. [Cool]

Too bad that you aren't: 1) my age, and 2) married (almost).

<sigh>

I've enjoyed having you on Hatrack. You make very insightful posts.

Farmgirl

[ July 28, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Blushing]

Thanks. You were one of the first people to become recognizable when I was new, rather than just another screenname in the crowd.

And as I said above, you've led an interesting, impressive life.

Dagonee

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.