FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Barack Obama

Author Topic: Barack Obama
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
*holds his breath*

I never knew if I'd live to see the real thing. I know people said this about Julian Bond, winning his seat in Georgia at the age of twenty-eight. Now, the current mayor of Detroit is around thirty-five, and he gave a worthy speech earlier today at the convention.

Tonight, Barack Obama could be the one to guide America, not by hook or by crook, but by thoughtful reason, dignity, and by instilling civic responsibility. I'm so hoping that Barack Obama is the real thing that I'm about as close as I've gotten in twenty years to praying for him to deliver. The politican's influence only lies in part in the legislating, tonight Obama has the rostrum and a large microphone. If public education is the cornerstone of our Democracy, the politician has the duty not only to execute and legislate, but teach. Tonight he has the power to dare America to do better. This is a messianic moment if he crafts the right speech.

He just needs one of these:

quote:
"Let no one be discouraged by the belief there is nothing one man or one woman can do against the enormous array of the world's ills - against misery and ignorance, injustice and violence... Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation...
Robert Kennedy

or one of these

quote:
"It is from the numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."
Robert Kennedy

or one of these

quote:
Let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.
JFK

or one of these

quote:
I think it is time we, all of us, askourselves some searching questions about out values, about what kind of people we reallyare, about who we are, as the psychologists say. If our freedom means ease alone, if itmeans shirking the hard disciplines of learning, if it means evading the rigors and rewardsof creative activity, if it means more expenditure on advertising than education, if it meansin the schools the steady cult of the trivial and the mediocre, it means – worst of all –indifference or even contemp for all but athletic excellence, we may keep for a time theforms of free society, but its spirit will be dead”
Adlai Stevenson

Truth be told, I wouldn't even mind one of these:

quote:
I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them.
Adlai Stevenson

or
quote:
The idea that you can merchandise candidates for high office like breakfast cereal - that you can gather votes like box tops - is, I think, the ultimate indignity to the democratic process.
Adlai Stevenson

or one of these

quote:

I'm not an old, experienced hand at politics. But I am now seasoned enough to have learned that the hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning.

Adlai Stevenson

or one of these

quote:
To act coolly, intelligently and prudently in perilous circumstances is the test of a man-and also a nation.
Adlai Stevenson

But what I really want is one of these

quote:

I don't want to send them to jail. I want to send them to school

Adlai Stevenson

or

quote:
What is more difficult, to think of an encampment on the moon or of Harlem rebuilt? Both are now within the reach of our resources. Both now depend upon human decision and human will.
Adlai Stevenson

quote:
Respect for intellectual excellence, the restoration of vigor and discipline to our ideas of study, curricula which aim at strengthening intellectual fiber and stretching the power of young minds, personal commitment and responsibility - these are the preconditions of educational recovery in America today; and, I believe, they have always been the preconditions of happiness and sanity for the human race.
Adlai Stevenson

*holds breath*

(If he blows this one, I'm going to send the guy who I think may be "it," a long email. A man can only take so much.)

[ July 28, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I can sleep.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Irami, will you attribute all those quotes? Edit: are all those from the speech?

I really like Obama too.

[ July 28, 2004, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't heard of him before tonight. I read the article on cnn.com of his speech and I'm quite impressed.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Wow, I read the transcript of the whole speech and it's fantastic. I can't wait until he's running for something for which I can vote for him.

He's exactly right about what's so great about America, and what it is we have that is so precious that no other country has. I'm so glad someone like this is in public life now. I hope he does run for president. He would surely get my vote.

But because I like him, won't that automatically mean that nobody else much does? I hope not. But that seems to be the way it works. My vote is the absolute kiss of death for politicians. I don't think I've voted for the winning guy ever yet.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

You have to see the video, Anne Kate. It was glorious.

[ July 28, 2004, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

ak
Member # 90

If anyone finds video of his speech, link it here, please. I'd love to see it. I saw a short clip on CNN and he seemed really great in person too.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
There are videos of the convention speakers on cspan.org. I read the transcript and also thought it was excellent. I plan on finding and watching the video in the morning.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
They were talking about him on news talk radio this morning on my drive into work. It was pointed out that he mentioned that he was born in Kansas -- and his web site apparently says he spent the first two years of his life in Kansas, as his mother worked for one of the aircraft manufacturers here, and she was originally from Kansas.
So the radio DJs were appealing to the Kansas masses to try to find out more on this angle -- who was his mother, where was she from, where did she work -- just where in Kansas did he live? They haven't got any callers yet....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I heard on NPR this morning, he seemed like a really great orator. He's also self-effacing, which is a trait I like in politicians. He called himself, "A skinny guy with a funny name." I like that.

I hope I get to see him more in national politics.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Barack Obama.

My boyfriend lives in Illinois -- I'm jealous, he gets to vote for him [Grumble]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
...I just read the transcript of his speech.

It made me tingle.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool it, guys. While I think Obama's the bee's knees, myself, it's worth noting that he hasn't exactly had a chance to get cynical and manipulative yet. Give him time.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

The thing is, Tom, I'm betting his knowledge is deeper than that, in addition, he's worked in a legislative body before. For as long as he's taught constitutional law and as long as he is worked in South Chicago, I don't think there is going to be much that surprises him. I think he is one of those rare first principles guys and can trace everything up from there, which means he has the intellectual integrity not to be jaded, or not to come off overly simplistic in his views. He sounds sensible because he can deepen the discourse down to the levels that all Americans, and most probably all humans, share.

And he can do it so easily, as if he's spent many years contemplating it. I'm betting more that he is a legislative Souter.

[ July 28, 2004, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
TomD, your positive, uplifting, encouraging, rose-colored view of life always just makes my day....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

I think Tom has a point. And if he were more shallow or less thoughtful in his positions, I would agree. But I don't think that's the case. I think he has too much intellectual integrity. His thoughts go deep into American values, and that's where his arguments come from. It's not common mere common sense, either. His paragraphs were drawn from wrestling with Plato, Aristotle, the Bible-- both testaments--, and the Declaration of Independence, and those were just the direct references I caught. I'm sure there were many more and varied. Thoughts that still reside today, but they aren't named. That's why I believe he is the real deal. His love and knowledge has deep roots. He spent the speech telling us who we are, if for no other reason than it's because it's really easy to forget.

[ July 28, 2004, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Irami (and others),

Now y'all know what we know here in Illinois about Obama. The man really connects beyond the traditional party base.

Below is an example. It's a column by John Kass, columnist at the Chicago Tribune. Kass is very conservative, but one of those rare columnists on either end of the political spectrum who shoots pretty straight. That is, he doesn't need anesthesia before saying something complimentary about people he disagrees with politically. And he's passionate about attacking corruption in both parties here in the state. So while I disagree with Kass quite often, I respect him.

Anyway, here's yesterday's column on Obama:

quote:
Obama's a star who doesn't stick to the script

Published July 27, 2004

BOSTON -- Despite all the Democratic criticism of the war in Iraq, there isn't much of a difference on war policy between their man, John Kerry, and President Bush.

Republicans have been insisting as much for months, even as Democrats thwack the president. With the economy improving, Democrats must make the election a referendum on Bush's handling of the war in Iraq.

But it wasn't a conservative Republican who said there isn't much difference between Kerry and Bush on the war.

It was Barack Obama.

The Democratic Party's new icon and opponent-less candidate for the U.S. Senate in Illinois, Obama was preparing to give the keynote speech Tuesday night at the convention here. He sat down for lunch with Tribune writers. He opposed the war.

"On Iraq, on paper, there's not as much difference, I think, between the Bush administration and a Kerry administration as there would have been a year ago," Obama said. "There's not much of a difference between my position and George Bush's position at this stage."

That wouldn't have surprised the Deaniacs and other anti-war activists of the Left gathered here. While Kerry has acknowledged as much on the main points--a Kerry presidency wouldn't mean a withdrawal of U.S. armed forces from Iraq--it is not something the Democrats draw attention to or brag about.

Because if it's not "the economy, stupid," and if there's no difference between Bush and Kerry on Iraq, then what the heck are we doing here?

Watching a scripted TV show, waiting for Bill and Hillary sightings, wondering which Baldwin brother will say something ridiculous while munching on great Italian food in the North End?

Obama didn't deviate entirely from the bash-Bush theme. He did stress that Americans like Bush but don't trust him. I disagree, but that's his argument. And though I respectfully disagree with some of his politics, I couldn't help but be impressed by the man.

Sitting there watching him discuss issues--seeing him willing to consider the faults in arguments, not simply dispensing sound bites like a political mannequin--made me realize something: He's the real thing, and Illinois Republicans had no chance, sex clubs or no sex clubs.

Obama reiterated that if he had been in the Senate during the vote on the war, he would have voted no. Kerry voted yes. At the same time, Obama wouldn't advocate pulling out now, responsibly arguing that the U.S. cannot accept a failure there.

"How do you stabilize a country that is made up of three different religious and in some cases ethnic groups with a minimal loss of life and minimum burden to the taxpayers?" he said. "I am skeptical that the Bush administration, given the baggage from the past three years, not just on Iraq. ... I don't see them having the credibility to be able to execute. I mean, you have to have a new administration to execute what the Bush administration acknowledges has to happen."

Republicans might suggest that's a tough argument--hiring Kerry to complete Bush's war policy--but what I like about Obama is his willingness to consider different angles out loud. Such as race.

It is one reason he was chosen to offer the keynote address, obvious to politicians and voters but difficult to acknowledge publicly. He acknowledged it himself, straightforwardly.

"You know, look, there's no doubt that part of the reason I was asked to speak is because I'm an African-American candidate," he said, picking at a salad.

He was asked: So how does Kerry connect with African-American voters?

"There's no doubt John Kerry has not captured the hearts of the black community the way [Bill] Clinton did," Obama said. "... His style is pretty buttoned down. He's not the guy who is going to play the saxophone on MTV."

Still, Obama said Kerry didn't have to stoke emotions to connect with black voters before November. "He'll make them feel he cares about them," Obama said. "The African-American community doesn't need a preacher. We see preachers every Sunday."

Again, Obama answered honestly. I'm not used to that from Chicago politicians. As he grows into the job of senator, he may change his style and stick to the script. But he's riding so high now that he doesn't have to.

For all the adulation and the rock-star status, Obama is levelheaded enough to know there will come a time when all his incredible political fortune will tempt others to try to knock him down. Some of those people may be young, ambitious Illinois Democrats, whom he has eclipsed.

"There will be some deflation, which is good. It's healthy," Obama said. "... I have to walk a careful balancing act, of not seeming ungrateful for all the hype around my election, which I think is a little over the top."

All glory is fleeting. But for now, there's Tuesday night, and the speech he'll give to the nation. Good luck, Senator.

[ July 28, 2004, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I think there is someone I can actually feel good about voting for this election. Maybe I will try to find my voter registration card which I think is under mounds of junk.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Ah, I found it! Go here and near the bottom a little left of center, there's a link for Barack Obama 7/27/2004. Probably after tonight it will move off the first page, though. I'll try to check it again tomorrow and give a more permanent link.

He really is someone I can get excited about. That's what I love about America! [Smile]

[ July 28, 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
AK,
It won't work for me, dagnabbit.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Good speech. His delivery is a lot like the Rock's - and I mean that as a complement to both.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
http://slate.msn.com/id/2104296/

Irami, he looks fascinating.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

He is the real deal, guys, I'm not making this up. I think my first post on Hatrack was about how worthless some of the black leaders are, the ones who seem to be strawmen with flesh. But no, this guy is Thurogood Marshall, Tony Blair, and Justice Souter. Tom's hedging, but I'm calling my shot. He is going to be an explosive force for the good of the nation. He is a turning point. He is so good, I hope he doesn't get shot.

Speaking of jive turkey lightweight, Sharpton just came on. I hope he doesn't blow it.

[ July 28, 2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is he so fascinating? Because he's black? Otherwise, he seems like plenty of other politicians. Not bad, just nothing outstanding yet.

Oh, and I watched Sharpton talk Dennis Miller into a corner on Miller's own show, with Miller's own pointed questions. I might not want his as president, but he does have a sharp mind.

[ July 28, 2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Jutsa Notha Name ]

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Sharpton gave a twenty-minute speech (possibly ad-libbed?) when he was slated a six-minute spot.

I genuinely like the man. I think he tries to appeal to lower denominators than he should -- and he definitely plays the race card, though not without reason -- but he's one of the lone voices out there for black America, and I'm glad he was there to force some kind of attention to minorities in this country. Not to mention, was he really the only one to mention Latinos? Yikes.

But heh, damn, I'm glad he didn't obey Kerry and spoke out against Bush. Say whatever you need to, guy.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
He's so special because he talks like a politician should, which is totally different from how most politicians do.

I'm not too hot on the DNC, so far. It seems to be a lot of, "John Kerry will do x." My rhetoric meter had to be recalibrated to go to 11. [Roll Eyes]

Does anyone else in the "anybody but Bush" party feel like the Democratic Party is a pretty lame alternative to a pretty lame political climate?

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

He moved me around a bit when he was talking about and sanctity of the vote. Nice work, Sharpton. I was a little worried Kerry had pulled the leash too tight, but he loosed up when he knew that he had gone over time. The bar is lower for him, he did fine.

________

Obama? He spoke clearly and knowledgeable to the human condition, with a depth that I'm not even sure Bush knows, much less could articulate.

[ July 28, 2004, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Lalo
Member # 3772

And no, Justa, Obama had something to him I really liked. Watch his speech on C-Span and see how you dig it -- damn, he's on par with Clinton in terms of speechgiving, if not better.

That said, I don't think speechgiving is a particularly important skill to have -- especially with modern presidents, who have their speeches written by someone else. I wouldn't hire anyone for their ability to read aloud, much less the President. But Obama seems like the genuine deal; his talent with speaking is supplemental to the man. I'll want to research his background and positions more thoroughly before I officially support him, but from what I see so far, I dig him.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Wheat, if not "John Kerry will do x," "John Kerry will not do x," what exactly would you like to see mentioned here? Stats for the World Series?

Watch Clinton, Gore, Obama, Sharpton, Dean. They've all given excellent speeches, if more reserved than I like -- Dean was shot down for having the spine to criticize Bush, but that doesn't mean he was wrong to do it.

Though I do agree with you if you apply that to some speakers. Glenn Close just annoyed me. And the poor senator from Florida who followed Sharpton -- jesus, that's a tough act to follow -- his speech could have been a good one if he'd quit using keywords in it. But the vast majority of the convention is excellent; and I'm not one usually moved by politicians. Go DNC go.

Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Giving speeches isn't enough to impress me. Sociopaths are excellent at giving speeches most of the time, but we don't really root for them to be our leaders. Obama's rise to the senate is impressive, but I've noticed very little mention of that from posts here. Instead, it sounds like he's impressing you guys because he says things you want to hear. That isn't enough for me. That's the problem I have with Bush, he promises and promises and promises, and circumstances always seem to give him an excuse to alter that promise later.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was pointed out that he mentioned that he was born in Kansas -- and his web site apparently says he spent the first two years of his life in Kansas, as his mother worked for one of the aircraft manufacturers here, and she was originally from Kansas.

According to the Honolulu Advertiser, he was born and raised in Hawaii and graduated from Punahou High School (a very prestigious private school) in 1979.

[ July 28, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: maui babe ]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

I've seen a few day time good speeches, but most of them are pretty so-so. I do like conventions, though. It's kind of like Christmas and Thanksgiving, but man, I just wish there is some more people who had a compelling vision about the world I'm living in. This Two America's speech better be worth all of the hype.
_______

About Obama, he doesn't over-reach, instead he goes deeper. Read the New Yorker article, then listen to the speech. A good speech is harder than you'd think. Everyone who opens their mouth thinks they know what I am and what I want to hear. Why is it that 95 percent of them fall flat. Obama was percise enough to let me know that he knows what he talking about. He knows people, and he knows America.

You can elect Dick Cheney or Condoleeza Rice, but they don't know me, and I'm not so sure how much they like me.

[ July 28, 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

He grew up in privilege and attended privileged schools, just like many other politicians. I'm not so sure I can identify with that.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

That may be your problem. Did you see the speech? If you saw the speech and didn't like it, then he may have missed his mark. Who knows?

There is no sin in having money or going to good schools. It's what you do with it.

[ July 28, 2004, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Suneun
Member # 3247

Here are a few reasons why he impresses me. I can add more, but this is the first set.

He can work with "The Republicans." He isn't going to sit on one side and yell at the other from across the room.
quote:
Kirk Dillard, a leading Republican senator from the Chicago suburbs, looked chagrined when I asked him about Obama. “I knew from the day he walked into this chamber that he was destined for great things,” he said. “In Republican circles, we’ve always feared that Barack would become a rock star of American politics.” Still, Dillard was gracious. “Obama is an extraordinary man,” he said. “His intellect, his charisma. He’s to the left of me on gun control, abortion. But he can really work with Republicans.” Dillard and Obama have co-sponsored many bills.
It doesn't sound like he's out there for the money. He's out there to make a difference.
quote:
What he wanted was to practice civil-rights law in Chicago, and he did, representing victims of housing and employment discrimination and working on voting-rights legislation for a small public-interest firm.
He recognizes the ability to see both sides of an argument as vital to the argument. Don't we mention such a sentiment at every serious thread? You have to work to understand the other side. It's important for bridging that gap.
quote:
“Teaching keeps you sharp,” Obama said. “The great thing about teaching constitutional law”—his subject—“is that all the tough questions land in your lap: abortion, gay rights, affirmative action. And you need to be able to argue both sides. I have to be able to argue the other side as well as Scalia does. I think that’s good for one’s politics.
He recognizes one of the great evils of American politics... Interest group power.
quote:
“If you make political discourse sufficiently negative, more people will become cynical and stop paying attention. That leaves more space for special interests to pursue their agendas, and that’s how we end up with drug companies making drug policy, energy companies making energy policy, and multinationals making trade policy.”
He can connect with people and make them listen to him. To listen, even if he doesn't say the popular thing.
quote:
Mikva said, “I’ve seen him speak on Israel in front of a Jewish audience—a very, very tough crowd. And he was incredibly thoughtful, saying, basically, ‘There are a lot of people in that area, with lots of different interests and points of view, and they all have to be taken into consideration, and we can’t just rally around Sharon,’ and so on. And the crowd was just wowed... Barack managed to make those people who disagreed with him feel comfortable with the disagreement.”

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Here is an article about him after he spoke with the Unions in Chicago.

quote:
Later, I asked him if he wasn’t waving a red flag in front of labor by talking about free trade. “Look, those guys are all wearing Nike shoes and buying Pioneer stereos,” he said. “They don’t want the borders closed. They just don’t want their communities destroyed.”

Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

Irami, I don't see why a speech should sway me. You don't seem to be getting my point, that it isn't just someone who can speak well to look up to. I think that maybe we've gone four years with a president who is not a good speaker, and it has created a hunger for charismatic speeches. That's not good enough for me.

Suneun, that explanation makes a whole lot more sense. Interesting indeed. Here's hoping he wins this year.

Suneun
Member # 3247

Cool, Justa.

I think what a lot of us are feeling is that when you find a politician who seems to embody such wonderful traits, you really want them to succeed. Because even if they falter from that perfection a little, they're still so much better than anyone out there right now.

If you find a dozen of these rising stars and encourage them, then hopefully some of them will make it. And make a difference.

Because as much as I want the US to be the best, I'm not in the position to make governmental change. But these people are coming closer and closer to realizing the goals of Goodness and Beauty.

They're our modern day heroes. People we really want to see realize our dreams.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

what she said. [Smile]

quote:
Suneun, that explanation makes a whole lot more sense. Interesting indeed. Here's hoping he wins this year.
She made a good speech.

[ July 28, 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

She made a good speech by giving real examples to back up what would otherwise have been mere words. Mere words of opinion, which hold personal value, but words nonetheless. It kind of goes back to the old 'talk the talk' and 'walk the walk' way of thinking, I suppose. A lot of people out there want to see something for the words they hear. Nice speeches are exactly that: nice speeches. Punctuate them with deeds to support them, and you're able to get most people's attention. Mr. Obama, provided he wins this year, will have the opportunity to follow up his speeches even more than he seems to have already. We shall see.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.