FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer related advice please

Author Topic: Computer related advice please
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a $2000 embroidery software program I paid $500 for. Bought if off Ebay, from another embroiderer who got a new copy of it free with the purchase of her new machine. She already had the software and no need to keep another copy so she sold it to me, new in box, I registered it, everything is cool.

Well...my laptop is dead, or almost. it still works - sorta. I've moved to a new computer, conveniently located right outside my sewing room and want my embroidery software on it.

Well...the kids got into a bunch of our CD's looking for some of their games and didn't put things up properly. I found our software all scattered and things outside of cases and what do you know, it was my expensive software that was scratched.

Is there any hope for repairing it? I've seen those CD repair kits but I don't want to do anything that might make it worse. (if that's possible)

When I try to install it I get the message that installshield has encoutered an error and will have to restart.

I contacted teh company asking for a new installation disk and was told they couldn't help me I had to go talk to my dealer. Well, I didn't buy it from an authorized dealer.

So am I just SOL?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Scratched on top or bottom?

If on the bottom...smother it with a good layer of toothpaste and buff it. If on top, [Mad]

Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

scratched on the bottom.

Toothpaste?

*is skeptical*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for toothpaste! It gently buffs while filling in cracks!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
The bottom isn't actually the most vital part of the CD, it's the top which has the reflective part that holds the data. They reason toothpaste works is that it acts as a very mild abrasive and buffs out the scratches. Could also use alcohol or petroleum jelly.
Satyagraha

[ July 27, 2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Insanity Plea ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you buff radially -- from the center out. Don't go in circles around the CD.

edit: Also, those CD-repair things work. We were borrowing some expensive DVDs from my brother and my son got his hands on one and bit it, ruining that DVD. Instead of paying $150 for a new set, we paid $25 for a CD repair thingie and it worked like a charm.

[ July 27, 2004, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything said here, but I would reccomend another attempt with the manufacturer. I've sent discs back a number of times for new ones, sometimes with a $5-$15 fee.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, you are within your rights to copy this software for backup purposes. It might be worth it to transfer the program from the laptop to the desktop. It's really not hard for someone comfortable with the registry. Are the computers networked together?

I would definitely try the manufacturer again. If you know someone with the exact same version of the program, you could make your legally allowed backup from that.

If you can find a dealer, they might be willing to burn a backup copy for you. You are legally entitled to burn one for yourself from your own copy (do this if you get a new copy). The dealer might be willing to let you make your backup from one of his, as long as he sees the scratched disk and you can prove the registration.

You may be able to think of creative ideas similar to the one above that don't involve an authorized dealer, but I'd certainly never suggest such a thing. [Wink]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

[Hail]

I bow to you for suggesting the resurfacer - it did indeed work, the software is loaded and I am a happy camper. [Big Grin]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. Now back that thing up - right now. If you don't have a CD burner, at least copy the CD files to a directory on your hard drive.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

My husband has the burner, will have to do it when he gets home, his office stays locked to prevent the kids from doing things like....well, what started all this.

The office is new so we havent' gotten around to making a key for me yet. I'll get it tonight, though. Thanks again! Now I'm off to gather my CDs that are skipping and try to fix them too.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.